Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dreamgirls

Old 12-27-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dreamgirls

I was quite surprised no one had seen this or started a thread after doing searches.
Saw this on Christmas day. Wonderful movie with great performances by everyone from Eddie Murphy to Jennifer Hudson who stole the movie.
It has been a long time since I had been to a movie and people were applauding during the movie. What an experience.
I hope this is up for many awards come Oscar season.
Old 12-27-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I figured this wouldn't be a movie that many here would see, but I still thought it weird that there was no thread.

Anyway I haven't seen it yet. I tried to go to a late 12/25 show and it was almost sold out and I didn't want crap seats, So I passed and saw "The Good Shepherd". Then I tried another late show on 12/26 and altough I was one of 4 or 5 who bought tickets, apparently someone threw up in the screen room during the previous showing and they weren't letting us in due to mess and smell. I said screw that. There no way I'm setting in that room for 2 hours. So I traded my ticket for "Night at the Museum".

I guess I'll catch it next week.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-10-07 at 03:05 AM.
Old 12-27-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought tickets online for the first show on Christmas Day, at a local theater, and I'm glad I did; they wound up selling out. I've been looking forward to seeing this for a LONG time now, and it was well worth the wait.

The performances were fantastic, without exception, especially Jennifer Hudson who, as the OP mentioned, stole the show. The audience applauded twice, once after "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going", and again at the end of the film. If this doesn't get a ton of Oscar nominations, I'll be very, very surprised, and disappointed. Personally, I'm planning to see it again while it's still in the theater, and of course, I'm buying the DVD the day it comes out.

Rob
Old 12-27-06, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
It has been a long time since I had been to a movie and people were applauding during the movie.

People applauded during a recent showing of "Turistas" that I was at.

Applause means nothing anymore.
Old 12-27-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Gonna try to see it on New Years.
Old 12-27-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by breadlymoore

What? Obviously applause means that at least for that particular audience, the film did something for them. I seriously doubt people are just applauding at the end for shits and giggles...
Old 12-27-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by breadlymoore

You're kidding??!!??

I had the opportunity to see Jennifer Hudson live on a recent cruise that I went on and she was not only very down to earth and Un-Hollywood but a great singer.
Paramount wouldn't allow her to sing, "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going", because they didn't want the moment on screen to be spoiled.
Old 12-27-06, 07:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Really good movie. NOthing earth shattering, and it hit all the major plot points I just knew were coming, but the acting and the music saved it.

One thing that sorta suprised me was the singing mid scene. I was under the impression all the singing was of the "on stage" varity as opposed to breaking out into song ala Chicgo or PHantom of the Opera. I actually like musicials that do it quite a bit, and was hoping they would introduce that earlier in the film. I think Jennifer Hudson's scene was the first time they did it.

and boy what a scene that was. Really stunning stuff. Huge applause at the end of that.

Good, solid, entertaing film. I liked how they made Beyonce look hot in 456 makeup/wardrobe changes.
Old 12-28-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whynotsmile

Good, solid, entertaing film. I liked how they made Beyonce look hot in 456 makeup/wardrobe changes.
And any likeness to Diana Ross was pure coincidence!
Old 12-28-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought this film was okay, but not all that memorable (except for Jennifer Hudson's show-stopping "You're gonna love me" number), with average acting performances all-around except for Eddie Murphy, who commanded every scene he was in. I'm more convinced that Beyonce's voice is simply average and non-distinctive, but she's got the marketing machine working for her benefit these days. Hudson's got a powerhouse voice, but her acting wasn't as strong as her singing. Jamie Foxx was saddled with a 2-dimensional character, and never quite got in the groove for his role.

I think the adaptation from play to film never quite gelled, and it came off awkward to my eyes. I just wasn't as immersed in the film as I had hoped I would be. Some of that was because these characters just didn't give me a solid reason to root for them.

I give it 2.75 stars or a B- (mainly for the show-stopper number by Hudson)
Old 12-29-06, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
I'm more convinced that Beyonce's voice is simply average and non-distinctive, but she's got the marketing machine working for her benefit these days.
I agree. I was a little surprised to hear Foxx's character make that comment to her at the end since I feel you could say the very same thing to her in real life.
Old 12-29-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
Jennifer Hudson who stole the movie.
Originally Posted by RobCA
Jennifer Hudson who, as the OP mentioned, stole the show
Oh I get it. She's black, so she stole the show, right?

I'll probably wait for the DVD. It looks pretty good, and it will probably lead the pack in Oscar nominations. Although I absolutely HATE that song.
Old 12-30-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thought the film was decent. A major problem is that the film felt like it wanted to be so epic yet it never reached that title. I thought the non-musical writing was cliche and everyone except Eddie Murphy let me down in the acting department. Other than Jamie Foxx (even though his character was supposed to be cold as ice, Foxx's performance felt entirely bland) and the actor who played C.C. (his voice grated on my nerves), I thought everyone else hit the right mark on all of their songs.

That "I'm telling you" song/scene, though, is rightfully being singled out. Hudson's voice and performance while lip-syncing the song literally took my breath away. I had goosebumps. The theatre went wild with hoots, hollers and clapping.

I was laughing inside when later in the movie Beyonce had her chance to shine with "Listen" and no one in the theatre made a peep after it...

Overall, the direction, cinematography and writing were below par but the musical performances from most of the cast made up for it.
Old 12-31-06, 04:53 PM
JIF

Originally Posted by conscience

That "I'm telling you" song/scene, though, is rightfully being singled out. Hudson's voice and performance while lip-syncing the song literally took my breath away. I had goosebumps. The theatre went wild with hoots, hollers and clapping.

I was laughing inside when later in the movie Beyonce had her chance to shine with "Listen" and no one in the theatre made a peep after it...
I heard applause for Hudson's performance too. At first, I thought it was the film, but realized it was the audience. Only one person applauded for Beyonce's Listen, which drew some laughs in the theatre.
Old 01-01-07, 06:15 PM

I felt very underwhelmed. Given the ecstatic pre-release publicity for this film, I expected more than the cliche-riddled and generic feel the film gave off. Yes, Jennifer Hudson sang "I'm Telling You..." extremely well and the scene should rightfully become a classic movie musical moment, but almost everything else about the picture felt bland and artless. Unremarkable direction by Bill Condon, who may very well get left off the final five nominess' list for the Best Director Oscar. Likewise with the unimaginative, problematic script. I wasn't even that impressed with Eddie Murphy in this. Aside from Jennifer Hudson, there's nothing else I'd recommend about "Dreamgirls." Major disappointment. Looks like the Oscar for Best Picture will boil down to either "Letters from Iwo Jima" and "The Departed." With maybe "The Queen" as a darkhorse upsetter.
Old 01-01-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I pretty much agree with Patman, though I was more impressed with Jennifer Hudson's performance. Beyonce's performance was completely blah, and I also agree that accolades are strictly the media machine. She did look incredible and some of the photos were direct recreations of Ross photos, but that's about it for her. Hudson's "I'm Telling You.." applause and sent chills down my spine...Beyonce's "Listen"? You could hear crickets chirp.

I think the problem with stage-to-movie adaptations is the story is kind of disjointed, there were ideas that weren't completely fleshed out, so it didn't hit me on an emotional level as it should have.
Old 01-03-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dangit. I was halfassed about seeing it Wed night and when I finally got out of my car the late show was sold out. I ended up seeing The Holiday. That's like the 3rd time I've tried seeing Dreamgirls and I ended up seing something else.
Old 01-10-07, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Saw it tonight and I really liked it. There's nothing much I can add to the comments in here so I won't try.

I know one thing, I'm totally falling in love with Jennifer Hudson.
Old 01-10-07, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This movie screams "FORMULA" in every sense of the word. I generally don't enjoy music biopics (or I think I won't, at least). Sure enough, once I saw Ray and Walk the Line I loved both those films.

I guess it'll have to wait until DVD for me to change my mind about this one.
Old 01-10-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Really wanted to like this movie a whole lot. But, like someone else said, I just felt underwhelmed. I'll admit I didn't see the play, and the Supremes were before my times, but I kept watching this film and thinking, "I would much rather see a biopic on the story of the Supremes."

I heard so much buzz around this film, but Eddie Murphy's performance didn't wow me like I expected. I heard he was incredible in the film. But to me, outside of his excellent musical performances...it just felt like another Eddie character. "Oh come on man, I INVENTED glitter!" "Who was the first person to fall down screaming?! I did that!!" Eddie dropping his pants on stage, etc.

Beyonce was good, but once she became the lead singer of the group, I couldn't help but think of Destiny's Child. Once Effie was replaced with another member, then it was REALLY on my mind.

They didn't explain at all how Jamie Foxx even established a relationship with Beyonce.

I liked the throwback feel of old musicals with singing the dialogue. That did feel old school and was different.

But overall, I came away with a "it was just ok" feeling.
Old 01-15-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I'll echo most people up here. I traded Spider-man 3 for Dreamgirls with the wife, but went in with an open mind. It just wasn't that good, outside any scene that didn't feature Hudson. It moved too quickly between eras, and there was too much focus on singing and not on storytelling, which I feel like POTO did a much better job of.

Jennifer deserves all praise. Beyonce was laughable. Eddie was Eddie, which means fantastic but not tremendous.

Lots of applause in the theater.
Old 01-22-07, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished seeing it. I really, really enjoyed the beginning and Eddie Murphy's explosive first performance, but by the time it hit the "we are a family, like a giant tree" number I began to cringe a little and the formulaic nature of the story thereafter - which is the point of difference between Dreamgirls and, say, a film like Chicago - detracted from my overall experience. All in all I was entertained but from the flash and dazzle of first moments to the final credits where each aspect of its' filmmaking (production design, costume design, editing, cinematograpy etc) is demonstrated, I could never get out of my head that this was a 2-hour pandering to the Academy. And that proved to be a very big distraction in an otherwise good film (despite the aforementioned problems I had with the story).
Old 02-01-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw this finally last night, and I was really disappointed. Both my wife and I found that the movie seemed to drag on forever. For me, it was the lack of any songs that I liked, aside from the Jennifer Hudson Telling You performance. I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you one other song that I heard. I agree with this not being nominated as Best Picture.
Old 02-17-07, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just want to say that I first saw this movie and didn't like it too much. Then I went and listened to some of the music from the soundtrack and realized that this music is VERY, VERY good.

So I went back and caught the movie today--a month after I first saw. I even posted in this thread that I didn't like it the first time around. Wow, have I done a 180. I love this movie. When I said the performances weren't good--I now think they are very good. I caught the subtitles of the movie this time around that I missed before.

Thought it was great and am looking forward to the DVD.
Old 02-17-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I caught the subtitles of the movie this time around that I missed before.
And what did those subtitles say?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.