Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Anal or No?
Yes
56.83%
No
37.41%
Twikoff (haven't seen this option for a while)
5.76%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Am I Being Too Anal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I Being Too Anal?

So I got a bunch of dvd's for xmas but the problem is that the people that get them for me are clueless as to how anal I am about my dvds. For example, I got Mr. & Mrs. Smith Unrated except it didn't have the slipcover. And then I also got the King Kong 3 disc but the slip case was all jacked up. And those are just 2 of them, there are another 3 that have "problems".

So of course when I go to Bestbuy to spend some giftcards, I see both of these with either slip covers or ones that aren't all smashed up. So my question is how do you guys handle this type of situation. I'm sure I could just go in and say "uhh I forgot to get a slip cover or this slip cover is damaged can I just exchange it?" would work, though I'm sure I'd get a weird stare or two. Do you guys just suck it up or do you go and exchange it or just ask the person who gave the dvd's to you for the receipt so you can exchange it legitmately.

I don't want to look ungrateful but I'm sure others on here have gone through this type of situation before. I'm just gonna start asking for gift cards from here on out.
Old 12-26-06, 10:35 PM
Banned

Why not go to Best Buy, purchase the DVD's you are having problems with, then return the problem DVD's. You get your DVD's fixed, you save yourself any embarassment, and you don't have to ask anyone for their reciepts. Problem solved.
Old 12-26-06, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I was going to suggest sucking it up, but king slug has a great idea. If it bothers you that much (which i completely understand) then you should take his advice.
Old 12-26-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Not getting a slipcover wouldn't bother me, but when I get things as gifts, I generally like them to be as 'nearmint' as possible.
You could do the return-on-new-receipt thing, but depending on the damage they may say you damaged it and not take it back.
Old 12-26-06, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by king slug
Why not go to Best Buy, purchase the DVD's you are having problems with, then return the problem DVD's. You get your DVD's fixed, you save yourself any embarassment, and you don't have to ask anyone for their reciepts. Problem solved.
This is what I would do.
Old 12-26-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
You could do the return-on-new-receipt thing, but depending on the damage they may say you damaged it and not take it back.
Yeah. That whole scenario seems just as awkward. I guess you could say that someone bought it for you although you aren't asking for an exchange but your money back.
Old 12-26-06, 11:15 PM

It's harder to exchange things now, especially at Best buy. Basically your disc itself must be defective in some way for a return or exchange to be granted. However, if the slipcover is part of an exclusive promotion like target does alot with 3-D, lenticular slipcovers, then maybe they would let you if the customer service rep. you're with is nice.

Last edited by Daniel14; 12-26-06 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-26-06, 11:53 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel the same way, why can't people just take a quick look at the case?
Old 12-26-06, 11:57 PM

my feeling is if you're that picky (which in some cases i am), it's worth the investment timewise to purchase the replacements, and return the ones that you don't want on that receipt. buyer's are none the wiser and the lackeys at BBuy don't care as long as you have a receipt. if the dvds are sealed they really don't give it a second glance.
Old 12-27-06, 02:04 AM

I'm wondering the same thing. I received a box set for Christmas. It was pretty beat up, but I went ahead and opened it. Now I'm wishing that I didn't. I really want a replacement, but since its opened I don't know what the store will say. Plus I really don't want to upset the people that gave me this set by asking for the receipt. I know they tried, and it might have been the last one so they went ahead and bought it anyway. No clue, but the beat up set bothers me more than I thought it would when I opened it.
Old 12-27-06, 02:14 AM

Slip covers? As in one of those cardboard slip covers over an amaray case? Hmmm... I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-27-06, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarthPrime
I'm wondering the same thing. I received a box set for Christmas. It was pretty beat up, but I went ahead and opened it. Now I'm wishing that I didn't. I really want a replacement, but since its opened I don't know what the store will say. Plus I really don't want to upset the people that gave me this set by asking for the receipt. I know they tried, and it might have been the last one so they went ahead and bought it anyway. No clue, but the beat up set bothers me more than I thought it would when I opened it.

Can you get the original reciept? Just tell the family member and the store where they got it from that one of the discs freeze up and you should be able to exchange it. This is the easiest time of year to exchange merchandise, especially without a reciept. 9 times out of 10 the store will gladly exchange it without a reciept, aslong as you get the same item.
Old 12-27-06, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I think you are being picky, which isnt a problem. However, if you are picky (like myself) just dont ask for dvds, because you will always end up getting something you dont want, or educate people in what you want. My wife and mother in law are the only people who would buy dvds for me and they know what to get (its been a long road to get there). Of course now, with HD-DVD its pretty much easy ..
Old 12-27-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
However, if you are picky (like myself) just dont ask for dvds, because you will always end up getting something you dont want, or educate people in what you want.
best advice. I gave up asking for DVD's long ago because i'd end up w/ full screen or just not what I wanted. It's easier to ask for gift cards
Old 12-27-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-27-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd simply suffer for the 15-45 seconds I'd be looking at the slipcover/bruised package, and move on to enjoy the several hours of content on the DVD itself.
Old 12-27-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a general rule, whenever someone has asked that question in this forum... the answer is usually yes.
Old 12-27-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Maybe the gift-giver did the damage themselves just to check later to see if you returned 'em. Love and trust is at stake here!

Old 12-27-06, 09:43 AM

That's one thing I hate about getting DVDs as gifts, or even ordering DVDs myself; you can't ensure that you get mint packaging. Usually doesn't matter with regular cases, but slipcovers or snappers or box sets can get pretty beat up.

I'm pretty anal, but I've never gone to the extreme of returning a DVD due to imperfect packaging. I just suck it up. But the idea above about buying another and pulling a switcheroo is pretty damn good. But most of the DVDs I've been getting lately aren't carried in most stores.
Old 12-27-06, 09:54 AM

Got gift receipts? If so, and you haven't opened them, you should be able to take them back for an exchange. Slipcovers are routinely damaged in-store and on-shelf.

Do these slip covers really add anything to the whole package? Most I've seen are identical to the keepcases underneath.

If we're just talking cardboard slipcovers, and everything else is OK, I'd just pitch 'em if you don't like 'em. You got 'em for free/as gifts anyway. Throw it away and, voila!, it's not an issue anymore.

Another option would be to contact the studio. Sometimes they'll exchange damaged packaging. I was given an opportunity to do that once for something I got from Deep Discount that was dinged up, but ultimately decided just to keep it.

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 12-27-06 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-27-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not being too anal...I would probably go the route that King Slug suggested if this was a problem that I had!
Old 12-27-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know that when I purchase a dvd that has a slipcover, I select one that has a slipcover in mint condition. Sometimes you have to go through a stack to find one in great shape. It's part of the package after all, regardless of the purpose of the slipcover, and it's your collection, so I don't see it as being too anal.
Old 12-27-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow...I figured it'd be more 50/50...but it looks like it's leaning more toward the "yes" option...now i'm starting to feel ungrateful.........j/k....
Old 12-27-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Apone
Slip covers? As in one of those cardboard slip covers over an amaray case? Hmmm... I wouldn't worry about it.

I hate those things and always toss them out.... So I wouldn't worry about them either. But I can understand wanting to have something that is not messed up... I guess you should go with King Slug's suggestion.
Old 12-27-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phatboy
wow...I figured it'd be more 50/50...but it looks like it's leaning more toward the "yes" option...now i'm starting to feel ungrateful.........j/k....
You know I wouldn't say your an ingrate. I used to worry about stuff like that too. After I hit 500 DVDs I came to the realization that at best, AT BEST, I'd be able to rewatch each one once. But the reality was that I wouldn't rewatch most of them ever again. At that point, things like the case became irrelevant for me. Go figure.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.