Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Why Gears of War Costs $60

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Why Gears of War Costs $60

http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/19/ps3...sivegames.html

Thought this was an interesting read, regarding the $60 price tag of games today.
Old 12-21-06, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Interesting article. Thanks for the info. It's wild to think about when so many great games like Okami, Beyond Good And Evil, Ico and Psychonauts go largely unsold costing their companies millions while total crap can really sell well, especially licensed crap. No wonder there are so many movie and kiddie show tie ins -- much less risk in them.
Old 12-21-06, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
This is really not the place to just repost digg links
Old 12-21-06, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
This is really not the place to just repost digg links
This is Video Game Talk, the story concerns the price of video games, hence it's appropriate. I don't visit Digg and caught this from another site, hence the posting here to discuss this with fellow DVDTalkers. What's your point?
Old 12-21-06, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
This is Video Game Talk, the story concerns the price of video games, hence it's appropriate. I don't visit Digg and caught this from another site, hence the posting here to discuss this with fellow DVDTalkers. What's your point?
It's just superfluous, heres the talkback
theres 93 comments there, not much more to be said, how much talkback where you got it, why didn't you discuss it there? It's almost a week old (it hasn't been here all week for a reason (people are talking about it elsewhere)).

Also this is becoming a problem throughout the forum, people just reposting digg top page stories, people don't come here for the same cookie cutter web links there are everywhere else

And not to be overly rude it’s a pet peeve of mine

Last edited by SterlingBen; 12-21-06 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-21-06, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I don't go to digg or whatever website it is on, so I'm glad it was posted here.
Old 12-21-06, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theres 93 comments there, not much more to be said, how much talkback where you got it, why didn't you discuss it there? It's almost a week old (it hasn't been here all week for a reason (people are talking about it elsewhere)).

Also this is becoming a problem throughout the forum, people just reposting digg top page stories, people don't come here for the same cookie cutter web links there are everywhere else

Who died and made you the forum police?
Old 12-21-06, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Thanks for posting the link.

(WTF is digg?)
Old 12-21-06, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by funkyryno
(WTF is digg?)
Exactly what I was gonna say.

Do we have to check "digg" before discussing something here now?
Old 12-21-06, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree, what is digg?
Old 12-21-06, 05:48 AM

This game looks awesome and I wanted to make a thread asking since I really want this, but is this game planned for PS3 or even Wii?
Old 12-21-06, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Another asking "what the heck is Digg?" And who cares? It's news to us here and this is where we turn for to get news related to video games. Why chastise fumanstan for giving us a link to said news?
Old 12-21-06, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ravenous
This game looks awesome and I wanted to make a thread asking since I really want this, but is this game planned for PS3 or even Wii?

Its published by MS so that would be a resounding No for other platforms.. in this month's EGM (basically the gossip section) there were indications that MS would be trying to publish a Gears sequel every other year with a Halo game (not necessarily a direct sequel, but related game like Halo Wars, etc) in the year between the Gears game. So a major franchise game every year for the 360.
Old 12-21-06, 06:53 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Digg is /. with an attitude.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Digg is a community-based popularity website with an emphasis on technology and science articles. It combines social bookmarking, blogging, and syndication with a form of non-hierarchical, democratic editorial control. News stories and websites are submitted by users, and then promoted to the front page through a user-based ranking system. This differs from the hierarchical editorial system that many other news sites employ.
Old 12-21-06, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Digg is fucking awful.
Old 12-21-06, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Things can only be discussed on one website?

Thanks for the story, fumanstan. It was interesting to learn why video games are becoming more expensive. I wonder how much the greatest hits titles will be in this generation. Will they still be $20?
Old 12-21-06, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
There are to types of people in this world. Those with guns and those that digg. You digg?
Old 12-21-06, 07:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by funkyryno
Thanks for posting the link.

(WTF is digg?)
Ditto. To both.
Old 12-21-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You do not need to pay $60 for GOW unless you can find it on sale. I paid $40 plus taxes for it or you can get GOW under $45 (after shipping & Free taxes) at buy.com with $20 off google checkout.
Old 12-21-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's an article: "Why I Won't Pay $60 for a Game"
Old 12-21-06, 09:17 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Here's an article: "Why I Won't Pay $60 for a Game"
bold pls
Old 12-21-06, 10:04 AM

I think that last time I plaid over 50 for a game was the launch period for n64, where I paid 59 for Mario and 75 for Killer Instinct.
Never again, with the pace game prices fall lately. There are too many platforms, games and competition for games to go higher than $50 and be sustainable for too long.
I'm shocked that the used Xbox360 section of my EB has games priced for $50!
Maybe I'm getting old, but $50 is a brand spanking new game to me!

I'll be pretty pissed if Halo3 is above 50... if it is then they are just gouging.

There have always been these factors contributing to development costs.
There have always been high development costs, liscensing, packaging and marketing for games. Yeah games have gotten more complicated and more detailed, but the tools have far exceeded those hurdles. Now developers have more APIs built in to the console and ready made game and physics engines.
Developers choose to rush games to market and rushing a game costs more development money to inscrease bandwidth. Developers choose to encourage more detailed graphics and next-generation hardware (which doesn't garantee more sales) which demands even more resources. They are essentially choosing to raise game prices.

There seems to be a lot of backlash against this trend latley (Enix moving from PS to DS being a strong example, growing Nintendo Wi support and dwindling PS support being another).

Nintendo seems to be the leader of low-cost, high-sales franchises. They are especially experienced at creating new franchises that although are inferior in graphics (compared to Gears) far out sell it and with miniscule development costs, make a ton more money. Examples being Pikmin: Advanced/Batallion Wars. Nintendo seems to drop any partner that burns money developing any quality of game (Rare, Silicon Knights).

Last edited by mmconhea; 12-21-06 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-21-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I, for one, welcome our new Digg overlords.

And it was a pretty interesting article IMHO. I had actually thought the "actual" work on games was a lower percentage than they showed, but it makes sense that all the extra graphics and complexity require more time and better programmers.

It still doesn't explain why games like Quest64 exist.
Old 12-21-06, 10:20 AM
Suspended

Why does Gears of War cost $60? Because gamers will still buy it at that price. It is as simple as that.

P.S. Who cares about digg?
Old 12-21-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Why Gears Of War Costs $60
Rachel Rosmarin, 12.19.06, 1:50 PM ET

It was posted 2 days ago, so it's not a week old. This a forum so that OUR MEMBERS can discuss things with each other. It's not a problem at all, you just have a silly pet peeve.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.