Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Actors Deserve Comebacks or Headlining Roles?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which actors do you think deserve comebacks or deserve to headline more of their movies instead of being sidekicks, such has been done recently with David Carradine in Kill Bill (although he hasn't really been in anything else after). Sly Stallone is pretty smart for doing another Rocky and Rambo, because that's what he's famous for. He will be responsible for creating his own comeback. A lot of actors are ashamed of continuing their famous characters that made them famous ages ago. There really aren't too many old actors that continue to headline movies, except for Clint Eastwood, Hellen Mirren, Judi Dench, Ian McKellen, Anthony Hopkins, to name a few. Even in action movies, it seems that action movies all go to young actors now. Pre-1990s, a lot of the action heros/villains were middle to old aged. It's all pretty much young now.

1. Carl Weathers - always a sidekick action hero, always likeable, always bad-ass. His biggest lone starring movie is Action Jackson which was ages ago. He deserves a new starring movie again.

2. Rutger Hauer/Terrance Stamp - I've always liked these two actors. They are good actors that do a lot of direct-to-video B movies. They deserve better and more center stage roles. Terrance Stamp had a sort of starrer in The Limey, but he's still a side actor after that role.

3. Julia Ormond - I don't know what her problem is. I assume she's an idiot, that chooses the wrong roles. But she is a great actress and good looking.l

4. Michael Clarke Duncan - so what that he's huge? Whenever he's on screen, you can't stop watching him. He's a great actor and has huge screen presence. Enough of the sidekick roles. If Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughn, other huge sized actors, get to headline movies, then why not Duncan?

5. Gene Wilder - come out of retirement! Come on, one more comedy please!

6. Patrick Swayze - I know that he looks old, but he deserves to star in another good action movie.

Here are a few that don't deserve to be in movies anymore and also don't deserve to be in any comebacks. I'm sick of them and their bad acting: Lindsey Lohan, Van Damme, Neve Cambell, Andie McDowell, Sharon Stone, Sam Rockwell, Christian Slater, Julia Roberts, Cameron Diaz, Owen Wilson, Ben Stiller, Samuel L. Jackson, Sarah Jessica Parker, Nicollette Sheridian, Jennifer Garner, Bernie Mac
Old 12-19-06, 10:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666

3. Julia Ormond - I don't know what her problem is. I assume she's an idiot, that chooses the wrong roles. But she is a great actress and good looking.

tell that to her agent...
Old 12-19-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts
Affleck.
Old 12-19-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Jean-Claude Van Damme
Old 12-19-06, 12:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Affleck.
he did make a critical comeback, it's just no one saw that movie: 'Hollywoodland'
Old 12-19-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I'll second Patrick Swayze. A good actor who made some very bad post-Ghost choices, although he showed promise again in his supporting Donnie Darko role.

I'm also a little surprised Woody Harrelson isn't a bigger "star". But I think that's more HIS choice...he seems to like to be in supporting/character actor roles. He's a hell of a good actor.
Old 12-19-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Peter Weller
Old 12-19-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Carl Weathers had his comeback in Arrested Development! Well, it was a start. It worked for Jason Bateman? Or was that Dodgeball?
Old 12-19-06, 03:36 PM

Julia Ormond's career is a great mystery. She should be getting the roles Julia Roberts and Nicole Kidman are getting, but just seems to have missed out. Her early work showed her making all the right moves:-

(1) A couple of critically acclaimed performances in the Stalin mini-series and Greenway's Baby of Macon. Not high profile or seen by a lot of people, but got her good reviews in the right places.

(2) Playing the female lead in several high profile big budget Hollywood efforts - Legends of the Fall, First Knight and Sabrina. Legends in particular was a big hit and helped Brad Pitt enormously, First Knight also did reasonably well. Sabrina was a modest disappointment but got a lot of publicity and kept her proifile up.

(3) Then Smilla's Feeling for Snow. I can remember reviews of the original script and novel at the time describing it as one of the best roles ever written for a woman. Admittedly the actual film was something of a failure, but it should not have stopped her career dead.

Since then, eleven roles in a decade, none high profile, none well received. Has any actress suffered such a huge fall? Ormond really deserves a comeback - one big chance in a major production.

On the same note - what ever happened to Mira Sorvino? Oscar nomination for one of her first roles, big commercial success with Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, a successful action film with The Replacement Killers - then...little of substance. Very odd indeed.
Old 12-19-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Julia Ormond is almost 42 years old. Anyone knows that, as a rule, women over 40 don't stand a chance in pictures.
Old 12-19-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toddly6666

4. Michael Clarke Duncan - so what that he's huge? Whenever he's on screen, you can't stop watching him. He's a great actor and has huge screen presence. Enough of the sidekick roles. If Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughn, other huge sized actors, get to headline movies, then why not Duncan?

That's funny, I just watched Talladega Nights and comented on how Duncan didn't look like a giant, because he was walking with Will Ferrell and JC Reily.

I guess he's not really that huge, it's just that most actor's tend to be so small.
Old 12-19-06, 04:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Julia Ormond is almost 42 years old. Anyone knows that, as a rule, women over 40 don't stand a chance in pictures.
I guess, then, Nicole's got 1 more year and then she's done ...
Old 12-19-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Julia Ormond was also excellent in the recent Russian classic The Barber Of Siberia, which still hasn't gotten a video release here in the USA.
Old 12-19-06, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Hu Phan
(2) Playing the female lead in several high profile big budget Hollywood efforts - Legends of the Fall, First Knight and Sabrina. Legends in particular was a big hit and helped Brad Pitt enormously, First Knight also did reasonably well. Sabrina was a modest disappointment but got a lot of publicity and kept her proifile up.
My theory is that her big three movies (at least the three she's most famous for) typecast her. In all three she basically plays the same character - the beautiful woman caught between two feuding men.

I agree she needs a comeback though. I alwasy thought she was pretty and talented.
Old 12-19-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Steven Segal. Maybe not in Oscar award type of movies but I always enjoyed his action movies.
Old 12-19-06, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I happen to like Sam Rockwell.

I always wish Ron Livingston would become a bigger star. Val Kilmer needs to have some more big hits in his future. Also, its his choice but, I wish Ed Norton would work more.
Old 12-20-06, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Julia Ormond is joining Brad Pitt again for David Fincher's Benjamin Button shooting now.
Old 12-20-06, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chris O' Donnell...

Rosie Perez
Old 12-20-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Brando?
Old 12-20-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Brando?
that would be very difficult
Old 12-20-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by resinrats
Steven Segal. Maybe not in Oscar award type of movies but I always enjoyed his action movies.
And while we're at it, he can also sing the soundtrack of his comeback movie!
Old 12-20-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to see Danny Trejo get a shot.
Old 12-20-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
that would be very difficult
Not really. He was in Superman Returns, after all.
Old 12-20-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not really. He was in Superman Returns, after all.
Yeah, but he couldn't do a headlining role unless they dig him up and do Weekend at Bernie's 3 or something like that.
Old 12-20-06, 12:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Nah, she has a promising career playing the Grandmother of the main character.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.