Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is The Mash Martinis Set OOP now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-06, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Is The Mash Martinis Set OOP now?

I purchased this set during DDD sale for 110.00, and I looked on Amazon. The going rate is over $250 bucks! I quickly searched all the online dvd retailers, and no one is selling this collection, not even DDD. Did it go OOP? I'm wondering if I should keep my set brand new if the value skyrockets.
Old 12-16-06, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, OOP. Check out the "recently OOP" thread every Sunday for updates...
Old 12-16-06, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
may have to scoop the remaing sets up from various retailers then...
Old 12-16-06, 05:10 AM

ebay is a better way to check the current offered price of an item vs. amazon, which is the price someone is asking for an item. On ebay, this set has recently sold for a max of $180, most auctions ending around $155. Some of the push may be due to the holidays, as this is a pretty good gift item.
Old 12-16-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I seriously hope this is a fluke. I can understand why a studio decision may have been made to release this as a limited production run, but really .. that little term, "limited" could have been advertised some where.
Old 12-16-06, 04:40 PM
Bye

Most boxed sets of this type are limited, aren't they?
Old 12-16-06, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
I seriously hope this is a fluke. I can understand why a studio decision may have been made to release this as a limited production run, but really .. that little term, "limited" could have been advertised some where.

If you really want this set, Borders has plenty (the store I was in yesterday had 30+).

It is tagged 20% off, but I would wait until 12/18, when I believe they will have another big coupon day.
Old 12-16-06, 05:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
The funny thing is several entertainment magazines are still recommending this set for holiday gifts, and yet you can't find it anywhere now. Very frustrating for Mash fans because this set offers exclusive features that you can't get with the individual seasons I did spot one set today at Target for 189.00 bucks though
Old 12-16-06, 05:41 PM

damn! i could have made some money! i saw about 5 copies of the set at future shop and i was going to buy it but the canadian price is crazy. this limited ed. set was one of the worst attepts at a complete series set yet. i think if the companies have released individual seasons of the show they shoudn't release a complete series set with extra features that worn't included in the ind. season releases.
they should give people the chance to exchange there ind. season sets for the complete series set or give them the set for half of or more!
i think with shows that companies know they arn't going to sell well they should release a complete series set at a good price for die hard fans of that pacticular tv show.
Old 12-16-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

several best buys i have been to have had multiple copies.
Old 12-17-06, 01:58 PM

I saw many copies in stock at BJs Wholesale Club today.
Old 12-17-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
That's BS. This was out for about a week before going OOP.

I'm not a huge TV on DVD guy, but this really is unfair to those who want it. They should have kept it in production until the end of '06. Now the eBay sharks scarf them up like the poster above.
Old 12-17-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Most boxed sets of this type are limited, aren't they?
Quite possible. I don't know the specifics but common sense would indicate yes, at least initially. And that would probably be solely based on the popularity of the subject matter.

I would assume based on sales of the original Mash individual season releases, that the initial "total season" release would be limited. I still see tons of available individual releases at local shops - used and new. It's not to say that judging upon how well sales of the new box set go, an extended release period could be justifiable to the studio.

I've had some experience importing DVDs (often by the same Hollywood studios) and in quite a few cases it will be stated right up front that certain releases are "limited". It's more commonly done overseas than stateside. It makes assigning a priority level that much more easily.

I'll still pick up the set, but it would have been keener to nail it down during the last DDD sale at half the price that I'll most likely end up paying for it. I just didn't have the funds at the time since I just came off from a couple other larger purchases from Japan. Thems the breaks.
Old 12-18-06, 04:07 AM

Costco has these on sale for 124.99 right now.
Old 12-19-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the 40% off all DVD box sets coupon from Borders, these have all but disappeared near me. Seems like the Amazon sellers and half.com prices are settling out at around $250, twice what it's worth.
Old 12-19-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The second I read this thread Sunday night, I reserved a copy at a local Borders. I picked it up tonight with the 40% coupon for $129.59 (including tax). Good deal.
Old 12-19-06, 11:01 PM
Bye

Damn, I was about to ask where this 40% off coupon was coming from, but there's no point because there's no Borders near here.
Old 12-20-06, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Damn, I was about to ask where this 40% off coupon was coming from, but there's no point because there's no Borders near here.
Don't feel bad, there's no Costco near me!
Old 12-20-06, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I had this on and off my list for the DDD sale, and decided against it because I figured it would be around for awhile. Kicked myself when reading this thread, but managed to get one at Borders with the discount, which was only around $10 more than DDD.

I don't understand why they didn't advertise this as limited.
Old 12-20-06, 09:04 PM

How long will the set be on sale for $125 at Costco?
Old 12-21-06, 10:20 AM
Bye

Originally Posted by Trinitron
I don't understand why they didn't advertise this as limited.
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty confident that they did. It just wasn't shown on the packaging and may not have been in huge letters on any advertisement for the set. The words "limited edition" are so overused that I'm sure they've just been overlooked. If the set was never described as limited, I assume it was just because most gift sets like this are limited by their very nature. All 11 seasons are out in other forms, so there's no reason to expect that they were gonna keep making such a huge and expensive set forever. Granted, making the bonus discs available separately in the near future would really be nice.
Old 02-15-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some time back in November, after this went OOP, I noticed that Amazon.com still had an active link to place it in your cart.

On a lark, I did, and got an e-mail that said it would ship in February. I though "right, February, they're all gone, Amazon just didn't have their site updated, and I'll get a cancellation any day now".

Well, today I get an e-mail that says it shipped. I really can't believe it! Their site doesn't show any new ones availabke, just "new & used" through sellers, so I don't think it's back in print.
Old 02-15-07, 04:51 PM

I work at FOX and bought it at the studio store for $65!
Old 02-15-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by audiomixer
I work at FOX and bought it at the studio store for $65!
I picked up a copy at a local B&M for $180 about two weeks ago. At least it wasn't $300!!!! OK, I have nothing

Aside from scratched disks, it's a great set to own however and easily worth the price compared to collecting individuals. So I'm still happy about it ..
Old 02-15-07, 11:20 PM
Bye

Before anyone buys this set that doesn't really need it, word is that the last 3 discs will be released as a separate title for those who don't need the season sets. Apologies if you already knew that, but I'm sure some haven't heard.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.