Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Games from last-gen(GC, Xbox, PS2) you will pick up due to being cheaper now

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Games from last-gen(GC, Xbox, PS2) you will pick up due to being cheaper now

It seems weird to call the Xbox, Cube, and PS2 last gen, but they technically are now. Anyways, this is to list what games you will be picking up from that gen now that the prices are falling, or will be falling, on most of the games. For me:

Pikmin 2
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
Conker's Bad Fur Day: Live and Reloaded
Fable: The Lost Chapters

Of course with the Xbox ones, I have to make sure they are BC with the 360. Not sure if Fable: TLC is. I might have to pull out my original Xbox for it.
Old 12-15-06, 04:18 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For GC I want to try the Pikmin games that I never got around to, and maybe the Star Fox games.

PS2 I still need to play the last couple Ratchet and Clank games as well as Sly Cooper, Good of War, Dragon Quest VIII, Guitar Hero I and II, Ico, Shadow of the Collosus and probably a ton more.

The X-box I traded toward my Wii, just not enough games in the genre's I like to warrant keeping it around.
Old 12-15-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Wait, did Sony officially say the next gen started? I know they're in charge of deciding that.

I may pick up some GC games as I never owned one and now have a Wii. I may pick up Okami once it's cheap.
Old 12-15-06, 04:27 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by The Bus
I may pick up Okami once it's cheap.
Definitely do. One of my all time favorites. Phenomenal game on every level (except for challenge as it is quite easy, though long).
Old 12-15-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dragon Quest 8

and I will pick up Kingdom Heart 2 when it drops.
Old 12-15-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Definitely do. One of my all time favorites. Phenomenal game on every level (except for challenge as it is quite easy, though long).
I had forgot about Okami. It and Shadow of the Collosus. Two more to pick up.
Old 12-15-06, 09:33 PM

I think I picked up most of the last gen stuff that I wanted other than Okami. Also, I might get the Devil May Cry collection with all three games as I've only played part 1.
Old 12-16-06, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm really tempted to pick up some older GC titles to play on the Wii. I've heard some great things about Resident Evil 4. Is it really THAT good? How does it compare to DEAD RISING?
Old 12-16-06, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked up Donkey Konga and am possibly going to get Mario Strikers or Mario Baseball.
Old 12-16-06, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Heck with all the Wii hype i picked up a Gamecube system(hadnt owned Nintendo since SNES) and got Resident Evil 4 which im working my way thru.Im expecting Zelda Wind Waker for my birthday this weekend and will probably pick up something like Metroid Prime for my Christmas break and of course eventually the new Zelda game when its a bit cheaper.Having a blast so far with RE4,i think its THAT good to answer your question sracer
Old 12-16-06, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
Of course with the Xbox ones, I have to make sure they are BC with the 360. Not sure if Fable: TLC is.

Fable is BC, and Conker was made BC with the latest update that was released yesterday.

Originally Posted by sracer
I've heard some great things about Resident Evil 4. Is it really THAT good? How does it compare to DEAD RISING?

Other than both games featuring zombies and were made by Capcom, they have nothing in common.

RE4 is awesome. The RE series was getting stale and the awkward tank like controls needed a serious makeover. RE4 fixed all of those problems. RE4 plays more like a third person shooter on a very linear path, but it is still awesome.

Dead Rising on the other hand is an open "sandbox" type of game. You can run around the mall saving people, you can go to clothes store and try on new outfits, you have a camera and can take pics of anything, or you can just follow the main story quest. Basically you are free to do whatever you want.

There is also quite a bit of humor in Dead Rising. It isn't a scary survival horror game like RE. In Dead Rising, almost anything can be used as a weapon. You can pick up a bench and use it as a weapon. You can get CDs from a music store and fling them as projectile weapons. You can go to a toy store and get really fun weapons like toy lightsabers. The hardware stores will of course have the most lethal weapons: chainsaws, machetes, hedge clippers, etc. Also, Dead Rising has a few "spoofs" on the RE series. Look out for a restaurant called Jill's Sandwiches.
Old 12-16-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm still avoiding all three next gen consoles so I have many Xbox, PS2 and GCN games I still plan on picking up. I've currently been picking up a lot of old Xbox games I had missed out on like Jade Empire, The Warriors and Destroy all Humans.
I also still need to get FFXII, Okami and I'm really looking forward to God of War II on the PS2. About the only GCN game I'm missing that I want is the new Zelda and I will pick that one up as well.
Old 12-16-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
Other than both games featuring zombies and were made by Capcom, they have nothing in common.

RE4 is awesome. The RE series was getting stale and the awkward tank like controls needed a serious makeover. RE4 fixed all of those problems. RE4 plays more like a third person shooter on a very linear path, but it is still awesome.
That's good to hear. I remember playing RE on my brother's PS1 waaaaay back in the day. I could never get the hang of the 3rd person view used, and it turned me off. I couldn't play it for more than 10-15 minutes.

Dead Rising on the other hand is an open "sandbox" type of game. You can run around the mall saving people, you can go to clothes store and try on new outfits, you have a camera and can take pics of anything, or you can just follow the main story quest. Basically you are free to do whatever you want.

There is also quite a bit of humor in Dead Rising. It isn't a scary survival horror game like RE. In Dead Rising, almost anything can be used as a weapon. You can pick up a bench and use it as a weapon. You can get CDs from a music store and fling them as projectile weapons. You can go to a toy store and get really fun weapons like toy lightsabers. The hardware stores will of course have the most lethal weapons: chainsaws, machetes, hedge clippers, etc. Also, Dead Rising has a few "spoofs" on the RE series. Look out for a restaurant called Jill's Sandwiches.
Thank you for taking the time to explain the differences. I already have Dead Rising and have played through to unlock overtime and infinity modes. My post kind of implied that I had it, but I should've explicitly stated it. Sorry about that.

I love Dead Rising. But I'm one of the few who thought it WAS a scary survival horror game. The first time that I went into the maintenance tunnels I freaked out. It took a while before I summoned up the courage to venture back down. And THAT only to unlock the Real MegaBuster.

Sounds like it is worth giving RE4 a shot.

Thanks again!
Old 12-16-06, 08:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sracer
I love Dead Rising. But I'm one of the few who thought it WAS a scary survival horror game.

Wow, if you thought Dead Rising was scary, then Resident Evil and Condemned will give you nightmares.

The first time that I went into the maintenance tunnels I freaked out. It took a while before I summoned up the courage to venture back down.

Sure there may be like a million zombies in the tunnels, but when you are bowling them over at 50mph in a car, they are not intimidating at all.

Personally, I see RE as the scary "Night of the Living Dead" and Dead Rising as the comical "Shaun of the Dead."
Old 12-16-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Recently Picked Up:

Xbox:
- Forza Motorsport
- Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition

GC:
- Resident Evil 4
- Super Smash Bros.
- Zelda: Windwaker

So ya, I'm pretty happy with cheap games.
Old 12-16-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I want to get RE4, Okami, and Rogue Galaxy.
Old 12-16-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Some titles I never got around to but would like to pick up when they are even cheaper. Right now they all seem to be around $15 used. I'd like to snag them when they are under $10.

Gamecube
Resident Evil 4
Mega Man X Collection
Geist
Odama

Xbox on the BC list
Conker: Live & Reloaded
Psychonauts
Destroy All Humans

not on the BC list
Prince of Persia 2 (although if rumor has it I might nab the Wii version)
Prince of Persia 3
Mercenaries
Advent Rising

GBA
Bubble Bobble
Super Puzzle Fighter
Wario Ware Twisted
Old 12-16-06, 03:15 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Prince of Persia 2 (although if rumor has it I might nab the Wii version)
The Wii game is a remake of the 3rd PoP game--The Two Thrones.
Old 12-16-06, 03:45 PM
Banned

I thought the Wii Prince of Persia was supposed to be a brand new game altogether (neither a remake nor a port)?

Anyway, Michael Corvin, going by your list it looks like you still have a Cube. Why not get PoP 2 and 3 for the Cube instead of waiting on them to become BC on the 360?
Old 12-16-06, 04:00 PM
Retired

I thought the Wii Prince of Persia was supposed to be a brand new game altogether (neither a remake nor a port)?
That's what we all thought, but apparently the new Nintendo Power has reported that it is just The Two Thrones with Wii controls added in.
Old 12-16-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Anyway, Michael Corvin, going by your list it looks like you still have a Cube. Why not get PoP 2 and 3 for the Cube instead of waiting on them to become BC on the 360?
Did they release the third on GC? I didn't even think about going that route. Good idea.
Old 12-16-06, 10:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Did they release the third on GC?

Yep. The entire "Sands of Time" trilogy is on all three current-gen (or is it officially last-gen now?) consoles. It's kind of weird to be calling the Cube, PS2, and Xbox last-gen. Seems like they were just released yesterday.
Old 12-16-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My gosh how I love the Prince of Persia trilogy. Makes me wanna go back and play it all over again. Didn't really like the direction that POP2 took, but then it played such an integral party of POP3, loved that...

And yes, RE4 is incredible, there were so many "whoa!" moments for me.

I plan on picking up Lego Star Wars II once it gets a little bit cheaper.
Old 12-16-06, 11:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The only readily available cheap game from last gen I really want now is Conker. Everything else is either not easy to find or not cheap (I'm looking at you, Ikaruga).
Old 12-16-06, 11:45 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I ditched my Gamecube not long after I finished Eternal Darkness. I'll probably pick up RE4 and perhaps the Metroid games to use on the Wii during the upcoming lean months.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.