TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Seconds from Disaster

anyone watching THIS show? it's great!
Old 12-19-06, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on occasion

depending on the topic i do watch it. i like the breakdown of all the malfunctions and problems. did you catch the one of the plane that broke up over the ocean, i remember that story from 10-12 years back, when it was widely thought a missle took the plane down. never had closure on the story until this show, amazing it was from low-fuel and a short in the wiring. add that to the runway delay that kept things running too long, and it all (according to the show) didnt add well.
Old 12-19-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Great show. I think I've seen most, if not all of them.
Old 12-19-06, 03:15 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Yeah, I've seen most of them... most interested in the plane crashes... it amazes me how the catastrophic things happen to planes when a single bolt fails, or a micro fracture expands after its 20000th flight, or something... just goes to fuel my distaste for flying.

Reminds me of the line from Armageddon:

"You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?"
Old 12-19-06, 04:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've seen a couple of them: one on the Hindenburg, one on United 232, which crashed in Sioux City in 1989. Both were superb. I should watch more.
Old 12-19-06, 04:32 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great show, but it also scares the hell out of you. I was watching the one when the plane lost it hydraulics and split into 3 pieces on the runway.
Old 12-20-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a fascinating show though it seems that I miss many of them.

I will have Dish Network's DVR in the near future, at that time I'll definately be telling it to record this show.
Old 02-01-09, 11:19 PM

Re: Seconds from Disaster

Does anybody know where I can obtain copies of this amazing series National Geographic has produced called Seconds from Disaster? I have seen a few old auctions from the United Kingdom, but have come up empty handed on Amazon, E-bay and the National Geographic site. I would love to see more of this series.
Old 02-02-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by videohead
Does anybody know where I can obtain copies of this amazing series National Geographic has produced called Seconds from Disaster? I have seen a few old auctions from the United Kingdom, but have come up empty handed on Amazon, E-bay and the National Geographic site. I would love to see more of this series.
I am sure another new member will chime in to answer your query.
Old 02-02-09, 12:40 PM

I called the National Geographic store this morning to inquire about this series and they were not able to give me sufficient information on this on this program. Why would a popular series as Seconds from Disaster be so hard to obtain here in the states? Anybody with additional information would be greatly appreciated in obtaining the full dvd series on this program. For now, I'll watch the small clips presented on you tube.
Old 02-02-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Their show on the Columbia Shuttle disaster was compelling. That video of the foam easily piercing a hold in the leading edge of the wing makes me cringe. (yet I can't stop watching it)

I am of the opinion that shows like these should make people feel safer. The more that is learned from such events in minute detail, the better prepared our travel systems are to prevent reoccurances or to be better prepared for the randomness of accidents.
Old 02-03-09, 08:52 AM

I found a full set of DVD's I bought from a website called GB auctions.com The auction website is like E-bay, but based in the United Kingdom. A full set of 11 dvd's (could be illegal copies) with all the episodes of Seconds from Disaster cost 37.50 pounds which is roughly $53.25 US. I have never bought anything over the internet internationally, so we'll see how it goes. All DVD's were advertised to be region coded for all countries. I'll give an update and let everyone know how it turns out.
Old 02-03-09, 10:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I found a full set of DVD's I bought from a website called GB auctions.com The auction website is like E-bay, but based in the United Kingdom. A full set of 11 dvd's (could be illegal copies)
Gee, d'ya think?
Old 02-03-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
I am sure another new member will chime in to answer your query.
Apparently it would have been to much work for him to register another account, so he just did it himself.
Old 02-03-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Apparently it would have been to much work for him to register another account, so he just did it himself.
Spamers are so lazy these days
Old 02-03-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I've seen a couple of them: one on the Hindenburg, one on United 232, which crashed in Sioux City in 1989. Both were superb. I should watch more.
I lived in Sioux City when that happened - my father was a minister at the time and had to go down to the field. It was a rough time. And a few of my friends were in the made-for-TV movie they did with Charlton Heston.

I've seen the commercials for this show and it always looked interesting. I'll have to check it out.
Old 02-03-09, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by smg669
Gee, d'ya think?
What an A-hole!
Old 02-03-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend