Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Need advice...should I keep my Alien and Bruce Lee *FIRST EDITION* boxsets?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. I currently own two editions of the Alien and Bruce Lee box sets.

1st Alien: This is the original all Black box set called "The 20th anniversary Alien Legacy" mastered in THX and 5.1 surround. I've had this one for a while and the image quality looks good and the sound is great.

2nd Alien: This is the newer boxset called "Alien Quadrilogy" and comes with something like 9 or 10 discs full of an insane amount of extras. I just got this boxset and it's still in the shrinkwrap.

Onto Bruce Lee:

1st Bruce Lee: This is the original Bruce Lee Masters collection. The all black box with a red picture of bruce doing his Enter the Dragon pose. I've had this collection for years and am quite fond of it.

2nd Bruce Lee: This is the newer Ultimate Collection that was released not too long ago. Dark Blue box with Chinese writing and an asskicking pic of Bruce doing a pose from GoD. Just got this box as well and it's in the shrinkwrap. I have read that the dvd versions in this set have original Chinese language only. Is this true? If so, I may hold on to my old Bruce Masters set, because I've grew up watching the films with the corny English dubbing and have grown fond it. It's what I'm used to. I don't think I'll prefer the original Chinese language upon hearing it for the first time, but hey, who knows?

Anyway....I would like to know whether or not there is anything on the 1st edition of these boxsets that make them worth keeping? I hated double dipping on these since I was already quite satisfied with the first ones but read how the newer ones have much better content and extras. If there's nothing found on the old editions that aren't on the new ones, then I'll just toss 'em on ebay.

By the way, same situation with Superman box but I think that one's a no brainer
Old 12-13-06, 08:00 AM

The first Alien has an isolated score, the newer one does not
Old 12-13-06, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The new Bruce Lee set is remastered, anamorphic, has both the original chinese tracks and the english dub on them. get rid of the old one.

Alien Legacy has on documentary not on the Quadrilogy set

check here www.dvdcompare.net
Old 12-13-06, 09:03 AM

Thanks. Looks like Bruce is takin' a hike

I don't remember the doc on the old Alien set. Is it anything spectacular?
Old 12-13-06, 10:47 AM

Image quality wise are the Aliens discs in both sets the same?
Old 12-13-06, 11:21 AM

the image on the 20th ann. alien is awful. but it has the score track and also a production soundtrack. something you dont get much on dvds. it's like the audio that would have been on the original workprint. it also has some different dialogue. watch the film with subtitles on and put that track on.
Old 12-13-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The transfer of Alien in the Quadrilogy is better + it has a DTS track. Unless you really want the isolated score I can't think of any reason to keep the old set. It (Legacy) may have a documentary that's not included on the Quadrilogy but that set has an insane amount of extras. It's also worth noting that there's an extended cut of Alien 3 in the Quadrilogy.
Old 12-13-06, 11:35 AM

Also, the first Alien DVD has a solo commentary by Ridley Scott which is not included on the Quadrilogy release. That has a group commentary with Scott and Weaver recorded together among cast and crew.
Old 12-13-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you mailed away for the bonus alien disc, then keep that. and the original movie for the isolated track. piece out the other titles.

that old bruce lee set is so bad compared to teh new it isn't even funny. oddly enough it is one of the best deals I ever got on a dvd set. Early in the dvd game when that box set was priced around a hundred bucks, i found it at a pawn shop with a 9.99 sticker. It was supposed to be 9.99 a disc but they sold me the entire set for 9.99. It was still in a gatefold box at the time.
Old 12-13-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the original dvd of the first two and always have wondered about getting the alien boxset for the extras.

can anyone please tell me if the new Quadrilogy boxset has this specific trailer?
http://www.alien-resurrection.com/di...s/aliens_b.mov
(right click save as)
It's one of my favorite trailers but the quality isn't great so am hoping that the dvd has it in better quality.
Old 12-13-06, 01:07 PM

dunno but it has a few. i forgot the scott commentary on the old dvd. it's different and probably better than when he was plugging the DC of alien.
Old 12-13-06, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ranger
can anyone please tell me if the new Quadrilogy boxset has this specific trailer?
Yes it has that trailer. It is the teaser trailer. The only downside is that it is in 4:3 aspect ratio.

If you are a fan of the films at all, you should get the quad set, or at least replace the first 2 movies you have with the newer versions. The picture quality improvement in A L I E N is drastic. It is not like some DVD's that come out with a new transfer and they fixed a little bit of ringing or edge enhancement and you have to really scrutinize the new transfer to tell a difference. And for Aliens you finally get the theatrical version as well as the extended version.

As far as the Legacy set, as others have stated, the first disc, A L I E N, is the only one worth keeping due to the reasons others have stated. As far as the Legacy documentary, if you mailed away for it, isn't really worth keeping unless you are a completist (Like me). The info on it is covered much more in depth on the quad set.
Old 12-13-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the 2.0 mix on the original Alien release and the transfer. So that is reason enough alone for me to keep it. Also you get the original 'transmitter' sequence in the deleted scenes which uses the original much more creepy sounding sound effect. Meanwhile the alternate edit in the Quadrilody set has it rerecorded with a less creepy sounding effect.
Old 12-16-06, 03:56 PM

OK I just started watching the new Bruce Lee box set. Im on Fists of Fury(Chinese Connection) now. Wow, the picture quality very good!

The thing is, I want to watch the original true Chinese language, but there are two Chinese language options. Which one is the original, with Bruce Lee's original voice? Is it the second to the last option, or the very last option? They also took a LOT of liberties with the English dub. Hardly any of it read like the subtitles. How true and accurate are the subs?

Finally, what was with them dubbing in sound bites from Enter the Dragon on one of the Chinese tracks in The Big Boss? That was retarded IMO.
Old 12-16-06, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
if you mailed away for the bonus alien disc, then keep that. and the original movie for the isolated track. piece out the other titles.
What was on that disc you had to mail in for? I didn't know about that. Don't suppose they still have those.

I'm keeping the Alien 20th because of the extra music material but otherwise the Quad set is way better. Although Resurrection is pretty much a throw-away IMO, the recut of Alien3 is a huge improvement over the original, bringing it much closer to the quality of the first two.
Old 12-17-06, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by digiboy
What was on that disc you had to mail in for? I didn't know about that. Don't suppose they still have those.
A 68 minute documentary. It is all covered in the Quad set, so you don't really need it. I kept mine for completion sake only. The offer ended for the disk a few years ago.
Old 12-17-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I sold my old Bruce Lee set for around $40 on amazon after I bought the newer one. At the time there was only 1 others for sale and they wanted $130 for it.

Didn't take more than a couple of days to sell it, although that won't happen now since it's showing over 600 for sale.