Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with refunds through Google Checkout?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I had $300 in orders cancelled by www.jr.com back on November 30. The relevant orders had been placed through Google Checkout. I have yet to receive a refund for any of the orders. I've talked to the customer service people at J&R multiple times and they say that all the refund/cancellation info was sent to Google on the day the orders were cancelled. Meanwhile, I've emailed Googe Checkout a couple times and they keep saying that the seller hasn't initiated a refund. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm about to call my bank and dispute the charges, but I don't know how big of a hassle that is or what hoops I'll have to jump through. Everything's documented over email, so I'm pretty sure I could get my money back through a dispute, but I don't know if I should go that route or wait another couple days. I've been pretty happy with using Google Checkout for purchases, especially with all the $10 off $30 and $20 off $50 deals, but this whole thing is starting to sour me on them. If anyone's had a similar situation and has some advice, I'd love to hear it.
Old 12-11-06, 01:02 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$300 in orders, uh? Sounds like you were trying to get in on some sweet deals. Haven't had to do a refund through the Google checkout yet but hope yours comes through. While I love the Google Checkout feature, I'm worried it is another layer that potentially adds to the confusion on messed up orders/shipments. Not that it's stopped me...yet.
Old 12-11-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had to send back a Criterion DVD to DVDEmpire because of an error on my part. The refund process took only a few days at most from when the store got my DVD to when Google notified me of a credit having been applied to my card. If you haven't already, I'd contact J&R and ask them to resubmit the refund info to GC.
Old 12-11-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
I had to send back a Criterion DVD to DVDEmpire because of an error on my part. The refund process took only a few days at most from when the store got my DVD to when Google notified me of a credit having been applied to my card. If you haven't already, I'd contact J&R and ask them to resubmit the refund info to GC.
I've actually contacted them 3 times now. The process thus far has been:
1) Google charged me for the orders
2) J&R cancelled the orders before they shipped
3) I sent Google an email because the charges hadn't been reversed
4) Google sent an email saying J&R needs to submit a refund
5) I call J&R and they tell me that they've submitted the refund info and are waiting on Google
6) I send an email to Google telling them what J&R told me
7) repeat steps 4-6 two more times

The last time, I got the name and extension of the customer service rep at J&R and forwarded that info to Google as well. That was last Thursday and I've heard nothing since. It's really shitty customer service on somebody's part, but I'm not sure which company is screwing up. Either way, I think I'm going to go ahead and have my bank dispute the charges. I'm feeling like the whole mess could have been easily resolved if Google actually had a call center for helping customers.
Old 12-12-06, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by maxfisher
It's really shitty customer service on somebody's part, but I'm not sure which company is screwing up. Either way, I think I'm going to go ahead and have my bank dispute the charges. I'm feeling like the whole mess could have been easily resolved if Google actually had a call center for helping customers.
You're right about that! About 3 weeks ago I posted a request for any info on a customer service number for GC at FatWallet and was told there is none; all contact must be done through e-mail.
Old 12-12-06, 05:05 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I had a slight problem with an order I placed and I sent off an email to Goggle to ask them what I should do and they never bothered to email back. I'm not entirely confident in there service.
Old 12-12-06, 05:43 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they were not offering such nice discounts, there would be no way in hell I'd use google checkout. Simply adding another party only serves to complicate things (and let each company put the blame on the other).

Once the discounts end, I doubt google checkout will be around for long (becaause no one will want the extra hassle of involving google).
Old 12-13-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I had everything printed out and ready to fax to my bank to dispute the charges. Before I sent it off, I happened to check my email and had a new one from Google. It had an actual customer service representative's name on it and she claimed she was going to call J&R to get everything sorted out and would have it taken care of shortly. That was Monday and nothing seems to have changed in the past two days. I'm out of town until Friday, so that's the deadline I'm giving them for having it fixed before I fax in the paperwork to my bank. At this point, I'm really not seeing myself using Google Checkout again, even if they continue with the promotional incentives.
Old 12-20-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anyone was anxiously awaiting resolution to this, I finally got my money back. I ended up faxing all the paperwork to my bank last Friday (12/15) and they said they'd open a dispute. Google sent me an email that afternoon saying they were still looking into the matter. The charges were reversed yesterday. Talk about a hassle. The $10 and $20 off promotion is a nice deal, but I'm planning on refraining from using it again. Kind of ridiculous to that it took almost three weeks after an order cancellation to get my money back. I'd be surprised if I'd gotten it back at all if I hadn't emailed them multiple times and then filed the dispute with my bank.