Old 12-08-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
IGN's Top 25 Videogame Franchises

Not sure if this was posted...

http://pc.ign.com/articles/749/749073p1.html
Old 12-09-06, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top five are really no surprise. Do these generic lists ever accomplish a hit boost? No offense, big game sites, but they're boring!
Old 12-09-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Star Wars should be higher than #11.
Old 12-09-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by edstein
I think Star Wars should be higher than #11.
agrees. What I found funny was the south park picture from "Make Love, not Warcraft" next to the Warcraft ranking.
Old 12-09-06, 04:26 PM
Retired

Nah, there are seemingly 3 or 4 shit Star Wars game for every good one. That really damages the franchise IMO.

The first KOTOR is probably the only SW game I consider to be a classic game. But even that still may not stand the test of time (like the SNES Star Wars games have not IMO even though I loved them back in the day).
Old 12-09-06, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
The first KOTOR is probably the only SW game I consider to be a classic game.
Jedi Knight series?
Lego Star Wars?
Rogue Squadron series?
X-wing/Tie Fighter series?
Old 12-09-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Um, Star Wars is a MOVIE franchise. You take the Star Wars familiarity out of any of those games and they'd mostly be bargain bin medicority that nobody would have ever talked about.
Old 12-09-06, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Um, Star Wars is a MOVIE franchise. You take the Star Wars familiarity out of any of those games and they'd mostly be bargain bin medicority that nobody would have ever talked about.
So says the man who only likes Japanese anime games.

Actually, all of those games were very highly regarded regardless of the Star Wars name. The only one on that list that would probably be bargain bin crap without the Star Wars name is Lego Star Wars.

The X-wing/Tie Fighter games were excellent games that were well regarded because of their space combat that was more realistic than the movies themselves portray.

Rogue Squadron was popular on the N64 as being a good arcadish dogfighting game, and the sequel Rogue Leader was probably the best launch game on the Cube and still holds up well today.

Jedi Knight (along with Half-Life) was well known as being one of the first FPS games to have an actual storyline. Many people that didn't even like Star Wars still enjoyed Jedi Knight.

KOTOR is the same for RPGs. It is an excellent RPG that is enjoyed by Star Wars lovers as well as people that don't even care for Star Wars. Bioware has never made a bad RPG.
Old 12-09-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You must be confusing me for somebody else.. I don't like anime and only have one game that's anime related: Jump Super Stars. I'm not sure how to respond to the rest of your post because most of it sounds like a press release.. "It is an excellent RPG that is enjoyed by Star Wars lovers as well as people that don't even care for Star Wars."

Here's a fun game: compare sales data of Jade Empire to KOTOR.
Old 12-09-06, 06:26 PM
Banned

I really don't know what the definition of anime is to tell the truth. I just call all "cutesy" Japanese games anime, including the Tales series you like and Blue Dragon. They all look like anime to me. Yeah I know I am ignorant about anime, but oh well.

Sorry if you thought I sounded like a press release. Looking back, I can see it now. But still, I have heard of several people that don't like Star Wars much that have played and enjoyed KOTOR.

Comparing sales data of Jade Empire and KOTOR doesn't really prove anything. KOTOR is the better game even without the Star Wars name. Many people had several complaints about Jade Empire, mainly the length (it could be beaten in 20 hours or so which is short for a RPG), the lack of variety, and the simplistic combat that was taken out of an arcade beat-em-up. All of those complaints surely had a negative impact on sales too.

Mass Effect is Bioware's next RPG and it looks VERY similar to KOTOR. Let's see how well it fares without the Star Wars name to fall back on.
Old 12-09-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought they were ranking by sales at first, so I had to laugh at Pokemon's place as they've been "shitting on the industry" for quite a while now. Quietly, sure, but those games always sell out the wazoo. But then the Chrono series wouldn't be on here if it were about current popularity either. And Madden would have been #1, so it's all good.

BTW- I do not care for Pokemon one bit, cept for the theme song from the cartoon.
Old 12-09-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, Mortal Kombat series? Argh. Street Fighter is a dead franchise. And I don't think Star Wars should be on there it's a movie franchise.
Old 12-09-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
No, Mortal Kombat series? Argh. Street Fighter is a dead franchise. And I don't think Star Wars should be on there it's a movie franchise.
I don't know, even with the lack of any new Street Fighters in recent years, based on just word of mouth i seem to see a lot more interest in those games then Mortal Kombat.
Old 12-09-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
And I don't think Star Wars should be on there it's a movie franchise.
Under that thinking, I'd have to say Dungeons and Dragons should be removed as well. While there are many great D&D games (many of my favorites), it's less a franchise and more a license, like Star Wars.

I think some of the "lumps" are unfair as well, such as "Tom Clancy" or "Sim."

Last edited by outer-edge; 12-10-06 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-10-06, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by taffer
Jedi Knight series?
Lego Star Wars?
Rogue Squadron series?
I think that the X-Wing/Tie and JK series were only on PC and it hurt the overall ranking. While those games were great, not as many people played them as Mario, Zelda, Castlevania etc.
Old 12-10-06, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I thought they were ranking by sales at first, so I had to laugh at Pokemon's place as they've been "shitting on the industry" for quite a while now. Quietly, sure, but those games always sell out the wazoo. But then the Chrono series wouldn't be on here if it were about current popularity either. And Madden would have been #1, so it's all good.

BTW- I do not care for Pokemon one bit, cept for the theme song from the cartoon.
Lol. That theme is pretty catchy.
Old 12-10-06, 01:06 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to go really retro here, but top franchises of All-Time and no mention of Pac-Man? The original game was a revolutionary force in video games really taking off and becoming mainstream, and it was the first 'multimedia' event in videogames... tv shows, breakfast cereal, etc. On top of that, Ms Pac Man is one of the most heralded and successful sequels in game history. Some version of the game appears on near every console released. And new games with the characters are still being released over 25 years later. Just because the franchise isn't currently as huge of a force shouldn't matter in an all-time list.
Old 12-11-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
No Doom or Tomb Raider =
Old 12-11-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
DRG, I have to agree. Pac-Man was the first one I thought should have been there.

I also have to agree with Taffer on his list of SW games. In an era of Wing Commander, X-Wing/TIE Fighter series was HUGE. I would however rank the 'Super' SNES series above the rest on his list though. Regardless of quality, the SW brand is a Force (ha ha) to be reckoned with. If you are going on quality, the same case could be made for Madden.
Old 12-11-06, 10:29 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by taffer
Jedi Knight series?
Lego Star Wars?
Rogue Squadron series?

Those are all just ok to mediocre games IMO, not classics. Some will disagree for sure, but I'll probably never replay a single one of those games.