Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 02:49 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Battlestar Galactica - "The Passage" - 12/08/06

"The Passage"
Spoiler:
The Colonial fleet faces starvation when the food-processing machines are contaminated. Kat plays a vital role in the success or failure of the "Passage" through space.
Old 12-08-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news for 'Buffy' fanatics! This one's written by Jane Espenson!

http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/12/06/ja...tar-questions/ (no spoilers)
Old 12-08-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Last couple have been great. Next one is the mid-season finale. Here's to hoping for a nice build-up tonight.

[obligatory]Can't wait![/obligatory]
Old 12-09-06, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wergo
Good news for 'Buffy' fanatics! This one's written by Jane Espenson!
Hopefully that's the last one she does for BSG. I didn't really care for this episode, definitely my least favorite of the season.
Old 12-09-06, 02:45 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Did Starbuck say "after I gave him head" in the scene where the pilots were splitting the food? It sounded like they turned the audio for that sentence atleast when I was watching.

ok episode. Kat was a fairly minor character so here death didn't really have any impact.

I did like the scene with the old man and Tigh when they were laughing.
Old 12-09-06, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by MrX
Did Starbuck say "after I gave him head" in the scene where the pilots were splitting the food? It sounded like they turned the audio for that sentence atleast when I was watching.
Yup, that's what she said...they muted it on the broadcast...but last Friday night after the show that part of the episode was on the BSG website as a preview..and they didn't mute it on there.
Old 12-09-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I liked the episode myself. There were some parts that didn't fit well with me. The drug dealer boyfriend or whatever from out of no where. The cylon parts should have moved to a cylon episode, not that it was bad but it just didn't fit with the rest of this episode. On the other hand maybe they can not do another cylon only episode. The sleeping pills thing at the end seems out of place. She looked bad, but not kill myself early bad. If it happen after it was made clear kat wasn't going to make it I would have dug it more.

The rest was all good. I felt hotdog's pain when he lost his ship. Must have been a hard performance considering how it was done. Kat and Starbuck work well together. I was thinking they might make out there for a moment. Then I had a moment.
Old 12-09-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I didn't think it was half bad myself. I do wish they were better about seeding backstories than this, it makes it more weighty if you've at least had an inkling of it in the past. I do think the "skiffy" part was really neat to see, what with the jumps through the star cluster and all.

And that joke between Saul and the Admiral was pretty funny
Old 12-09-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

At least they weren't boxing this week.

What was up with the dealer? He just appears, looks like he's gonna cause trouble and then she dies because of something unrelated to him.

For a second I thought Sharon wasn't coming back from her mission at the start and was going to be resurrected by the cylons. That would've made an interesting episode.
Old 12-09-06, 09:17 AM

I didn't really like this episode. Nothing much happened.
Old 12-09-06, 09:49 AM

In the scene with Kat and the dealer in the storage area, the one box that read "STB 2007" was pretty in-your-face. Anyone want to guess?

Man, at this rate the Galactica's going to disintegrate by the end of the series.
Old 12-09-06, 10:49 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I didn't like the episode much either. Also, after last week's abomination of an episode it's hard for me to care about most of these characters anymore.
Old 12-09-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first 45 min of this episode was teh suck.

It was a very complicated scenario with the starcluster/radiation/raptors navigating for the big ships/algae planet/etc.

I "think" I got it, but damn if I want to explain all this to my friend who watches my DVR copy the week after. I don't think she'll follow along as to whats going on. The setup needed more....setup.

But even excluding that this episode was pointless. A Kat episode? Who cares?

Here are some scattershot thoughts I like to call "QuickHitz."

1. That new pilot "Lost Room" was in every scene but was very quiet. Strong silent type I guess.
2. The 2 year old far reaching recap at the beginning of the show really lets the cat out of the bag with what the episode is about, huh?
3. I'm getting really tired of the "Starbuck the uncaring bitch/Oh but wait she's sentimental after all" stuff.
4. I don't buy that the cylon's think the "oracle in the water" only speaks stupid gibberish. That stance doesn't fit their MO. I know it's been said that 'some' think what she says has some meaning, but the large majority of cylons think its BS. They seem to think lot's of things are meaningful and mystical, why not the constant speech that comes from the "oracle."
5. I just think that...yeah.
Old 12-09-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
They seem to think lot's of things are meaningful and mystical, why not the constant speech that comes from the "oracle."
Or a "minister" who translates (makes up) the meaning. Most religions have a voice that pretends to talk to God. A tool to manipulate the masses. Why not the cylons?

It wasn't a good episode, but it was worth the hour of my time.
Old 12-09-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
baltar's gonna screw the minority report psychic, I mean hybrid
Old 12-09-06, 05:06 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
this was a really disjointed episode... I really hated all the Baltar/Cylon relgious mumbo-jumbo... I also always hated the Kat character, so I'm glad she was baked from the inside out. The F/X were cool, and the whole drop-ship scenario was interesting, if not a bit confusing... great to see the ovation for Tigh's return to the bridge... and Olmos-Adama continues to chew up great scenes and really fleshes out his character as the true father figure for the entire fleet... this for me, was the worst episode of the season....

ps: can't recall, was the Pres in this episode at all?
Old 12-09-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A Kat episode? Who cares?
I do. With Billy dead, she was my favorite character.

Now with her dead, it's down to Helo, Gaeta, and Anders.
Old 12-09-06, 06:24 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe

ps: can't recall, was the Pres in this episode at all?
Yeah, towards the start of the episode when Adama was telling her about the food situation.
Old 12-09-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Agreed about Starbuck acting like a bitch for the first four acts, then turning sentimental in the final act. That's getting kind of old and I hope they drop it.

Also thought that the difficulty in getting the algae to use a foodstuff seemed terribly convoluted, and it seemed obvious that the writers to trying to construct a no-win situation. Seemed more like something from a video game than something that would exist in nature.

Sorry to see Kat go. I think I was one of maybe three people who actually liked her. C'mon... she mooned Xena.

Didn't mind the Cylon mystical mumbo jumbo as much as most. I much preferred it to the technobabble aboard the Galactica. (Ron, baby, you gotta watch it with that. Don't let this become Voyager.)
Old 12-09-06, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
baltar's gonna screw the minority report psychic, I mean hybrid
Hot

they need to start giving Cade Foster some subplotage

Last edited by SterlingBen; 12-09-06 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-09-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And they didn't fly around the star cluster why?
Old 12-09-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tenaciousdave
And they didn't fly around the star cluster why?
because hollywood has a bad habit of forgetting space is 3 dimensional even though Spock secifically ripped on Kahn for that very thing in ST2
Old 12-09-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was an average episode. Not that great, but not terrible either. The only thing that bugged me was the rushed backstory of Kat. Maybe I would have liked her character more if they could have set up some background before this episode. As it was, I didnt' care too much that she kicked the bucket.
Old 12-10-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So...this Espensen hire was a good thing? Or was this episode just her clearing her throat?
Old 12-10-06, 07:40 AM

space might be 3 dimensional, but so is a star cluster, which might be two large to circumnavigate, forcing them to take the passage

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.