Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I need Nintendo Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need Nintendo Guidance

Quick background -

My kids are 6 and 9. They play with an N64 system that I used to own. My oldest is noticing the Wii commercials and is very excited about it; and after realizing that it plays Gamecube games that I can get new for $20 and that N64 games are hard to find (used) I think it's time to upgrade.

I am in no rush. If I can't get the system until after Christmas that is no big deal. My initial concern is Gamecube games; should I be getting those now before retailers stop carrying them? Is a deadline looming? I am completely out-of-touch with gaming.

My plan is to get a Wii, get some Gamecube controllers and Gamecube games. That way, we can take advantage of the Wii when good games come out for it (bearing in mind my kids are 6 and 9) and also play some of the better Gamecube games.

Any and all thoughts appreciated
Tim
Old 12-06-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can expect the GOOD gamecube games to start increasing in price

sounds like you have a decent plan
Old 12-06-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
You can expect the GOOD gamecube games to start increasing in price
That makes no sense.
Old 12-06-06, 08:46 AM

check ebay...

since there isn't too many Wii titles out, people started advertising their GC games for the Wii, and low and behold, they went up about 5-10 bucks
Old 12-06-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Ah, ebay.

Store prices have remained the same. I can't think of any games that I haven't seen in stock, in between EB/GS, CC, BB and Wal-Mart.
Old 12-06-06, 08:56 AM

Well, sure, they won't change MSRP, but you will notice old games (like 3-5 years old), that aren't greatest hits, going for retail (40-50), which is kind of ridiculous.

I tend to buy used games a lot, so I have been keeping tabs. I never owned a game cube. Since I just got a Wii, i started looking for popular GC titles, and have noticed an increase in the past 2 weeks alone
Old 12-06-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nah, even relatively new GC games are cheaper now. Take Super Mario Strikers - I believe the MSRP has been reduced to $29.99. Mario Baseball - same thing.
Old 12-06-06, 09:01 AM

yes, but those reductions to the MSRP happened over a month ago...

but like, if you see mario power tennis in store for say 30, it sells on ebay for 40
Old 12-06-06, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
Well, sure, they won't change MSRP, but you will notice old games (like 3-5 years old), that aren't greatest hits, going for retail (40-50), which is kind of ridiculous.

I tend to buy used games a lot, so I have been keeping tabs. I never owned a game cube. Since I just got a Wii, i started looking for popular GC titles, and have noticed an increase in the past 2 weeks alone
Walmart and Meijer are two places that are getting rid of tons of GC games. I saw Paper Mario the other day at meijer for $14.99 I think. Look on their discount racks and you'll see tons of quality GC titles.
Old 12-06-06, 09:04 AM

thats probably the best bet. I think there is just too many retarded shoppers out there, hence the inflated prices on ebay.

then again, we all know how stupid ebayers can be
Old 12-06-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
Walmart and Meijer are two places that are getting rid of tons of GC games. I saw Paper Mario the other day at meijer for $14.99 I think. Look on their discount racks and you'll see tons of quality GC titles.
My WalMart & Target are shrinking the GC selection to save space. The Wii & CG stuff is all in one case. Needless to say, the Wii games take up 75% of that space. There were probably less than a dozen GC games in the case. I imagine in about three months they will be gone. However, Target keeps an endcap of $19.99 games(all 3 platforms), that will probably be around a bit longer.
Old 12-06-06, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
My WalMart & Target are shrinking the GC selection to save space. The Wii & CG stuff is all in one case. Needless to say, the Wii games take up 75% of that space. There were probably less than a dozen GC games in the case. I imagine in about three months they will be gone. However, Target keeps an endcap of $19.99 games(all 3 platforms), that will probably be around a bit longer.
I think I'm actually going to run around this weekend picking up a bunch of the GC games that I used to own BG&E, Paper Mario, AC, etc. maybe spend a couple hundred for a handfull of sweet games.
Old 12-06-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
There are some I'd love to pick up again, but I literally just traded them all in to finance the wii purchase. There are maybe 5 I'd want back, but I figure I'll give it a few months and they will all be under $5 on half.com.
Old 12-06-06, 09:29 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Nintendo will have new versions on the Wii so you may want to check if the ones you are planning to get will be coming soon next year on the Wii. I didn't have the GC and initially I thought I was going to do the same; get the Wii and buy GC games that looked good. Now I am thinking about not doing so. First, like I said, Nintendo will update the more popular games on the Wii, another is I then have to buy additional games, memory card, and controllers for the GC support. That's on top of the Wii games. And if I'm going to get the GC controllers, there's no way I'm going to get the wired versions, I have the Wii, last thing I want to do is have a bunch of cords sticking out of it. You can see how the $250 Wii just got astronomically expensive. I will get one Wavebird though even if I don't get any GC games....want it for Bomberman 93, 5 player mode!
Old 12-06-06, 09:33 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Yeah. I'm going to have to pick up a few GC games that I want. I owned a cube, but it didn't get much play because of the 360 and Halo2 on the original xbox.

But I have always wanted to play the Paper Mario games. And since the Wii plays GC games, if I can find a game cheap, I will have an excuse to pick it up and play it in the Wii.
Old 12-06-06, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by mather
I will get one Wavebird though even if I don't get any GC games....want it for Bomberman 93, 5 player mode!
I think a wavebird or two is a no brainer for anyone getting a wii. And while they may update a few of the titles I'm sure they won't update the same versions of games that have been out for a few years. They'll just realease entire new versions (sequels). I think I'll be well served by getting some of the standout titles for the GC.
Old 12-06-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
I think I'm actually going to run around this weekend picking up a bunch of the GC games that I used to own BG&E, Paper Mario, AC, etc. maybe spend a couple hundred for a handfull of sweet games.
Good luck finding Beyond Good & Evil. That has been out of print forever. I don't understand why Ubisoft gave up publishing it though. It is a great little game.
Old 12-06-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't bother buying used GC games on eBay. The new prices are pretty cheap and the used prices in the game stores are usually reasonable.
Old 12-06-06, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Good luck finding Beyond Good & Evil. That has been out of print forever. I don't understand why Ubisoft gave up publishing it though. It is a great little game.
It's only been a couple months since I know I've seen it new at the local K-mart. Around here people play the new Madden and Nascar games and that's it. It works to my benefit.
Old 12-06-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What games would you even buy? I can think of:

Animal Crossing
Zelda: Wind Waker
Paper Mario
Resident Evil 4
Pac-Man vs.
and maybe a Mario Party game

Is there anything else worth buying? BTW, I am not including any multi-platform titiles.
Old 12-06-06, 10:05 AM

im a big fan of Mario Super star baseball. Mario tennis wasn't that good, but I do want to get mario strikers for mine.

Metroid Prime 1&2 are exceptionally good. Pikmin 1&2 are pretty fun as well. Animal Crossing is fun, especially with all the nintendo games they put into it
Old 12-06-06, 10:07 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Pikman did look pretty fun. I have the free zelda disk you got for registering games back when they did that.

Paper Mario is the only game I can think of that I want to get.
Old 12-06-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're into group games Mario Party is good as are the Donkey Konga games (four drums and you're set for a PARTY man!). Also:

Super Mario Strikers
Mario Kart: Double-Dash
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Monopoly Party
Simpson's Road Rage
Metroid Prime 1 and 2
Old 12-06-06, 10:11 AM

Ill probably hold off on game cube games for a while. I have SO many Wii games to play as of now. I haven't even played most of my newer 360 games. I'd probably have my male gametes ripped out if I purchased any more games

/goes to buy new castlevania DS
Old 12-06-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Super Mario Sunshine
Luigi's Mansion

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.