Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah: Some Loud Thunder - 1/30/07

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-05-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

from pitchfork:

Clap Your Hands Reveal New Album, Post MP3s

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah have finally spoken. The Brooklyn/Philly five-piece has titled its forthcoming self-released record, which is due on January 30, though fans can download it from the band's website on January 16. The album is titled Some Loud Thunder and is also set for a UK landing courtesy of Wichita and additional distribution through V2.
The band has made two tracks available for download. "Love Song No. 7" is a long, languid piano ballad that sounds like Aerosmith's "Dream On"...if Aerosmith were intentionally creepy and liked accordions. "Underwater (You and Me)" shows off producer Dave Fridmann's signature majesty, with chiming bells and what sounds like pedal steel. Another track, "Satan Said Dance" is streaming on the Clap Your Hands MySpace right now, but we can't get it to work right now.

As previously reported, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah recently wrapped up a U.S. jaunt with Architecture in Helsinki and Takka Takka. The three groups' live tour EP, initially only sold on the road, can now be purchased online. Please note that the opener, "Some Loud Thunder", is also the title track on the new record.

Finally, we'd like to remind you that CYHSY will take on Europe alongside Cold War Kids and Elvis Perkins this February. Beforehand, however, they'll bring in the New Year at NYC's Hammerstein Ballroom.

Some Loud Thunder tracklist:

01 Some Loud Thunder
02 Emily Jean Stock
03 Mama, Won't You Keep Them Castles in the Air and Burning?
04 Love Song No. 7
05 Satan Said Dance
06 Upon Encountering the Crippled Elephant
07 Goodbye to Mother and the Cove
08 Arm and Hammer
09 Yankee Go Home
10 Underwater (You and Me)
11 Five Easy Pieces

Last edited by auto; 02-03-07 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-05-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool! i wonder if they'll live up to expectations of (us) indie nerds?
Old 12-05-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Fucking awesome.
Old 12-06-06, 10:36 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
There are 2 tracks on clapyourhandssayyeah.com or whatever the webpage is
Old 12-07-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

listened to 'em. not quite what i expected, but i dig
Old 02-03-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anybody pick this up? Like the first lp, it's growing on me the more I listen to it. Not the slam dunk that their debut was but lot's of good stuff on here.
Old 02-03-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, stream of the first single:

Love Song No. 7
Old 02-04-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by auto
Anybody pick this up? Like the first lp, it's growing on me the more I listen to it. Not the slam dunk that their debut was but lot's of good stuff on here.
Picked it up at Barnes and Noble yesterday. (I had a gift card to use there.)

I bought it mainly on what I've read about them, but it was a blind buy for me, since I didn't download or listen to any audio samples of their songs.

I played it in my car on the way back home. So far it's ok. But, because of the lead vocals, I think it might be a grower on me. There were definitely 2 songs that I think won't take long to do just that.

Question, though...is the first track ("Some Loud Thunder") supposed to sound that bad? Mine sounds like it was a low quality downloaded MP3, or a song on cassette tape that's been recorded over a million times.
Old 02-05-07, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To me, this is far better than the debut. I've been listening to it for a couple of weeks now (got the MP3's when I pre-ordered from the band's site) and I can't seem to stop. And yeah, the sound quality of the first track is supposed to sound that bad. Not sure what they were thinking on that one, but there it is.
Old 02-05-07, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by redcat
To me, this is far better than the debut. I've been listening to it for a couple of weeks now (got the MP3's when I pre-ordered from the band's site) and I can't seem to stop. And yeah, the sound quality of the first track is supposed to sound that bad. Not sure what they were thinking on that one, but there it is.
Ah, ok. I figured it would be, but ya never know. (I've purchased a defective CD before.)

Thanks for clearing it up for me!
Old 02-05-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit

Question, though...is the first track ("Some Loud Thunder") supposed to sound that bad? Mine sounds like it was a low quality downloaded MP3, or a song on cassette tape that's been recorded over a million times.
These guys seem to go to great lengths to make challeging music. This one echoes the debut track on their first cd getting off to a rocky start.
Old 02-05-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

These guys seem to go to great lengths to make challeging music. This one echoes the debut track on their first cd getting off to a rocky start.
I read your other post. This CD is growing on me, especially from tracks 4 and on, with a song or two -- in between -- not so much.

Would it be reasonable to say that I'd like their debut album if I liked this one? Also, how's the production on that one?
Old 02-05-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
I read your other post. This CD is growing on me, especially from tracks 4 and on, with a song or two -- in between -- not so much.

Would it be reasonable to say that I'd like their debut album if I liked this one? Also, how's the production on that one?
Definitely. IMO, the first lp is consistently strong throughout.
Old 02-05-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definitely. IMO, the first lp is consistently strong throughout.
:sigh: Alright. Looks like I'll have to pick this one up with my next paycheck. I've already spent over a hundred on CDs this past month.
Old 02-05-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im very dissappointed in this album...had high hopes and they were let down. Some catchy songs but overall not a very good album. Not bad but nothing special. I have had this for over a month now and I can't seem to get into it.
Old 06-28-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
A disappointment compared to their first album. It doesn't help that the good songs all existed when they were a new band.

I still like the first track, in spite (or because) of the production. I wish they'd release a "clean" version.
Old 06-28-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Most bands are lucky to have one really good album in them. I wouldn't be surprised if these guys have already shot their load.