Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Day Break - Possibly Broken (Aka Cancelled)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-05-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After scoring ratings more befitting of a cable drama, Day Break appears poised to get the axe just ten episodes short of wrapping up its story line. Day Break initially came in just shy of LOST's numbers and quickly dropped. Last week the show brought in a meager five million viewers, a quarter of which tuned out during the shows second half-hour. The inclusion of thirty second LOST clips seem to have no drawing power to the temporal mystery that stars Taye Diggs. If the show IS cancelled (Day Break fans can cross their fingers) an announcement on the cancellation is expected by the beginning of next week. The show picked to replace it? Nothing short of amazing...

Day Break's bad news could be good news for LOST and SCI-FI fans alike. ABC commissioned the production of "Masters of SciFi" over a year ago and the six part series has pretty much just been waiting for a time slot. A couple of the episodes feature LOST alumni, including Terry O'Quinn (Locke) who stars in the episode "The General Zapped an Angel". Masters was originally set to run January 1st. Only six episodes of Masters of Science Fiction were released so it is unknown if Day Break will be given three episodes to wrap its story before stepping aside for Masters, or if Day Break fans will just have to commiserate with John Doe fans over the woes of mysteries cut short by cancellation.
From http://www.fangasm.com/01television/...-day-break.php

I'm incredibly pissed off by this. I *loved* Day Break, and I was really, really getting into the whole mystery thing. The concept was awesome, and was well implemented. Between ABC canning The Nine and now Day Break, quite frankly F' them. I'm done trying new serial shows on ABC. They keep pulling this and those of us who were willing to try shows similar to Lost in that they contain a season-long storyline are going to avoid ABC like the plague.

God, first the Nine and now this. Two of my favorite shows this year next to Heroes... Cancelled by the same network, on the same night, back-to-back, and within a week and a half of each other. The Nine I could handle, but Day Break... They couldn't let it last for 13 fucking weeks, especially over the holiday period? Yeah, good idea, cancel this show just after sweeps is over when ratings don't mean much and the hour immediately after this is a void, AND piss off fans of these sci-fi type shows enough to not try your networks next one. Good plan, ABC!
Old 12-05-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although I'd really like to see the end of this series, what's waiting in the wings to replace it interests me much more.
Old 12-05-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is the first I've heard of any cancellation. They are shooting episode 13 right now and will be done in about a week, so I can't see the point of pulling the plug at this point. All of the expensive shooting work is finished, they just need to finish editing and the rest of the post production work.
Old 12-05-06, 03:01 PM

My GF got into the show so I sent her the article and her reply was:
"The General Zapped an Angel is a Ray Bradbury short story! Ohhh exciting!"

Anyway, I'm always amazed that there is so much money to throw around that networks can dump series with several episodes in the can.
Old 12-05-06, 04:04 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts
The networks need to realize that they're shooting themselves in the foot. People are turning away from these types of shows, because they know 80% of the time it'll end up cancelled before there's any resolution.

I gave this show a chance, because it's basically a 13 episode mini-series. It was airing during the "off season", and there was a clear end in sight. Had it been a regular open-ended series, I wouldn't have bothered watching, knowing it would probably be cancelled.
Old 12-05-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tried this series, but didn't make it through the pilot.
Old 12-05-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd think the best solution (though I hated this show 2 hours at a time) would be to shoot through those last episodes two at a time for 5 weeks and then bring on this other show. It's not like anything else they have on Wednesday is working or is very likely to work.

I did see the writing on the wall with last week's ratings. They were CWesque.
Old 12-05-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
That would be insane for ABC to eat that much money that was put into Day Break. Just let the damn show air. I want to see the resolution. Although FOX and NBC decided to eat all the money they put into Vanished and Kidnapped, so nothing will surprise me.
Old 12-05-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
That would be insane for ABC to eat that much money that was put into Day Break. Just let the damn show air. I want to see the resolution. Although FOX and NBC decided to eat all the money they put into Vanished and Kidnapped, so nothing will surprise me.
They're eating the money either way. It's a marginal cost thing. If it costs $400k to produce an episode of 20/20 to fill the slot and that cost yields a $600k increase in ad revenue (be it due to fewer make goods or higher spot prices or whatever), it makes sense for them to not show Day Break and put the 20/20 on.
Old 12-05-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts
And sell the rest of the episodes on DVD, where they probably would make a little money.

That's too bad - I was enjoying the show, especially the latest episode.
Old 12-06-06, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts
ABC, in a preemptive move to avoid further cancellations of any of its remaining shows has decided instead to eliminate the entire 2007 season. Reruns of Laverne and Shirley will be aired in place of everything.
Old 12-06-06, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts
I thik that the lesson here is that Adam Baldwin kills series.

Firefly. Angel. The Inside. Daybreak.
Old 12-06-06, 03:31 AM

"all questions will be answered."
Old 12-06-06, 10:07 AM

Does anyone think there might be a racial component to this not catching on with the general public? If it was a white protagonist, would the ratings be higher?
Old 12-06-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by lucasorion
Does anyone think there might be a racial component to this not catching on with the general public? If it was a white protagonist, would the ratings be higher?
I think viewers are confused by a black man named Brett jk

I really like this show so of course that means that it must be canceled. I think it's time I swore off of network TV viewing and just start waiting for complete season DVD sets.
Old 12-06-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never seen it, so I don't know how "serial" it is in nature, but I understand the decisions to can those kind of shows. If I know that a show is really one continuing storyline, I don't feel I can jump in at any time. I don't see how poor early numbers would come up significantly if it's somewhat dependent on having seen the entire series. Unlike something like House, which I just started watching, it doesn't seem to matter a whole lot what I missed, and I can pick that up by watching the earlier seasons on DVD.
Old 12-06-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still have all the episodes sitting unwatched in my Tivo. I was planning to catch up on the series this month when all the other series go on holiday break.
Old 12-06-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I thik that the lesson here is that Adam Baldwin kills series.

Firefly. Angel. The Inside. Daybreak.
The Inside was doomed before Minear brought Baldwin in.

Why hasn't that show hit DVD? I thought that was the whole idea of bringing Minear in to totally revamp the show after they picked it up.
Old 12-06-06, 01:49 PM

1st week: #35 Day Break ABC 10.16m
2nd week: #74 Day Break ABC 5.10m
3rd wekk: #87 Day Break ABC 4.72m

Yeah, I think it's going to be pulled!

Chris
Old 12-06-06, 02:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Makes sense. The show's always in reruns (same day/show over and over).
Old 12-06-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I still have all the episodes sitting unwatched in my Tivo. I was planning to catch up on the series this month when all the other series go on holiday break.
Don't delete them yet. The episodes that have aired have been solid.
Old 12-06-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
1st week: #35 Day Break ABC 10.16m
2nd week: #74 Day Break ABC 5.10m
3rd wekk: #87 Day Break ABC 4.72m

Yeah, I think it's going to be pulled!

Chris
If tonight's episode drops any further I guess we'll have to prepare to watch the remaining ones on ABC.com
Old 12-06-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
The Inside was doomed before Minear brought Baldwin in.

Why hasn't that show hit DVD? I thought that was the whole idea of bringing Minear in to totally revamp the show after they picked it up.
I read Minear has 2 different versions of the pilot of "The Inside" that he was planning to include on the DVD.

Also, wasn't he brought in as a consultant to help Standoff?
Old 12-06-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I read Minear has 2 different versions of the pilot of "The Inside" that he was planning to include on the DVD.

Also, wasn't he brought in as a consultant to help Standoff?
Yep.
Old 12-06-06, 09:41 PM

I've never watched a second of this show. For that matter, I've not watched a second of any new series this season. Even Lost is being timeshifted till the end of the season.

I thank the networks for their lack of patience on any serial shows. The final straw for me was the cancellation of invasion. As far as I am concerned I will no longer give networks my time after Lost and Boston Legal and a couple of comedies like Scrubs, My name is earl and How I met your mother.

I could easily have been lamenting the early cancellation of this or any new drama as much as I used to watch tv. No more...wish I were a Nielsen home.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.