Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Miami Vice & POTC questions

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to choose some Christmas gifts my kids can get me and would appreciate opinions on these two dvd's.

Miami Vice
shows mixed reviews on the site. Has anyone viewed the Directors Cut and is it better or worse than the theatrical? I was a fan of the original tv series and am wondering whether to even get this movie.

POTC. What's on the two disc version? I note it's about another $10 above the single disc and wonder if it's worth the extra bucks.

Thanks
Old 12-04-06, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cannot comment on Miami Vice, but our POTC2 review is up and available.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=25332

Without double-checking, I'd just assume that the single disc has Disc 1: screenwriter commentary and 4-minute blooper reel. I say go with the 2-discer.
Old 12-05-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I enjoyed the Theatrical version of Miami Vice, and just popped in the HD Director's cut. I know the first few mins so far is all new material, but dont know yet if it will make much of a difference at this point. Its typical Mann fare imo so if your a fan of his in general, you will probably enjoy it.
Old 12-06-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Well I enjoyed the Theatrical version of Miami Vice, and just popped in the HD Director's cut. I know the first few mins so far is all new material, but dont know yet if it will make much of a difference at this point. Its typical Mann fare imo so if your a fan of his in general, you will probably enjoy it.
I am a fan of Michael Mann's films. Do you feel the directors cut was better or worse than the theatrical?
Old 12-06-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Personally, I wasn't wild about Miami Vice (3.25/5) even though I'm a Michael Mann fan, but I did buy the DVD for his commentary and the features. Anyways, from what I could tell even though there's a new opening (and actual credits) and some songs/music cues were moved around and I think there might have been a few scenes are extensions to add character development, but for the overall quality, I can't say it made it better IMO. I'd still give it a 3.25 or maybe a low 3.5/5.

PS: In his commentary Mann says this isn't really his "director's cut", more of an extended cut than anything as he still feels the theatrical version was his cut. And in fact, the DVD is called the "Unrated Director's Edition". If I ever find the theatrical version cheap enough ($5 or so), I might pick it up and combine it with this. I actually prefer the theatrical "cold" opening at the club...