Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Wii thread 1.1 - Now Japan has them too.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii thread 1.1 - Now Japan has them too.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-06, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
I don't believe it matters really (you can use the dongle to connect via your PSP, Laptop, any wifi enabled product.) but with a router you'll get a much larger access point.
"larger access point" meaning there can be a bigger distance between the access point and the wii or more devices can access it at a given time? If it's the latter, I think I read the dongle can do up to 5 devices....do people really have more than that in their home!?
Old 12-02-06, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jamezuva
"larger access point" meaning there can be a bigger distance between the access point and the wii or more devices can access it at a given time? If it's the latter, I think I read the dongle can do up to 5 devices....do people really have more than that in their home!?
If you've got a family with 4 people there, I can see how you could max out the 5 and need more. Let's say junior has a DS, ms. junior has a notebook computer, pops has a notebook, and they get a Wii. Now, let's give them a DVR on a wireless connection. That's 5. When junior's buddy comes over with his DS and they try to play Mario Kart online, one of them is out of luck if all the devices are on.
Old 12-03-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mok
Last night I got a 256 in bowling, but no new ball.
You need 1000 total in experience points, not bowling scores.
Old 12-03-06, 12:16 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
You need 1000 total in experience points, not bowling scores.
ahhhhh thank you.
Old 12-03-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone else think that Red Steel doesn't deserve all the negative reviews? I got it in the mail today and I've been enjoying it. The controls do take some getting used, and I found that medium sensitivity has the best feel for me. It has a learning curve, but I think it's been a lot of fun so far.
Old 12-03-06, 01:21 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My hand keeps hovering over Super Mario 64, but the DS version left a bad taste in my mouth and I never remembered being enamored with the original version, either.
Old 12-03-06, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamezuva
The former
Old 12-03-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
My hand keeps hovering over Super Mario 64, but the DS version left a bad taste in my mouth and I never remembered being enamored with the original version, either.
Super Mario 64 wasn't the game people said it was. It was fun, and it was somewhat groundbreaking (if you had never played a 3D PC game), but that's all it was. Amusing, slight wow factor. In the "official" Super Mario Bros. series I'd put it dead last (behind the SMBs, NSMB, and the SMWs).
Old 12-03-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Super Mario 64 wasn't the game people said it was. It was fun, and it was somewhat groundbreaking (if you had never played a 3D PC game), but that's all it was. Amusing, slight wow factor. In the "official" Super Mario Bros. series I'd put it dead last (behind the SMBs, NSMB, and the SMWs).
I'd agree that it was a departure from the regular Mario Bros. style, but I freakin' loved it. I've already got a copy of N64 and DS (it came with the system), so I doubt I'll be picking it up for VC anytime soon.
Old 12-03-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Just a heads up for Wii owners who (Like me) are wanting to try some Gamecube games. Wal-Mart has the Wavebird Platinum controllers for $20. Picked one up for myself so I can play Resident Evil 4 and Rogue Squadron.
Old 12-03-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I'd agree that it was a departure from the regular Mario Bros. style, but I freakin' loved it. I've already got a copy of N64 and DS (it came with the system), so I doubt I'll be picking it up for VC anytime soon.
Ya, I'd rank it probably near a 8.3ish (on my rating scale, I hardly buy too much that low). It's a good break from Zelda, and I like being able to play it directly on the console without having to switch anything. The game controls and camera are flawed though, and it annoys me. But, it's by no means a bad game, but compared to the other marios, the only one I consider worse is SMB2.

I held off from buying the DS Version at $25 or whatever it is now to get the VC version though, and I'm happy with this $10.50 (w/tax) purchase.
Old 12-03-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone else think that Red Steel doesn't deserve all the negative reviews? I got it in the mail today and I've been enjoying it. The controls do take some getting used, and I found that medium sensitivity has the best feel for me. It has a learning curve, but I think it's been a lot of fun so far.
I agree. It's on the back burner for me right now, but once I beat Zelda, Red Steel is the next Wii game I want to play through. I'm at somewhere around 30% through Red Steel right now, and I've had a lot of fun with it so far.
Old 12-03-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by shaggy
It's weird, I hit pro in bowling in like 13 games, but no pro in the other sports which I have played a lot more. I haven't hit 300 in bowling, I played a few games where I only left 1 pin.
I just clawed my way over 1000 points and hit Pro yesterday. Then of course I had two lousy games and I went right back down to 994.

My best game is 203. Right now if I bowl ~180 I don't even get points, so I geuss it's time to hone my skills.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 12-03-06 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-03-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
What happens when you reach pro in other sports? I got the new gold ball in bowling, but haven't hit it in others yet.
Old 12-03-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Question. Does the console have any built in memory for VC games?

If not, BB has a 1 GB SD Sandisk on ad this week. $27 after instant rebates, and it has an additional $10 MIR. Just as a heads up.
Old 12-03-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deftones
Question. Does the console have any built in memory for VC games?
It has 512mb built in.
Old 12-03-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

So, getting an SD card is pretty much pointless unless I plan on DL'ing oodles of games. Thanks!
Old 12-03-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, getting an SD card is pretty much pointless unless I plan on DL'ing oodles of games. Thanks!
If it were me, I'd personally feel better with my VC games on a SD card than in internal memory.
Old 12-03-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, but once you "buy" them, you can redownload them at any time. I don't really see an issue. Even if your system crashes, you have the ability to get them back.
Old 12-03-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
If it were me, I'd personally feel better with my VC games on a SD card than in internal memory.
Yeah, but once you "buy" them, you can redownload them at any time. I don't really see an issue. Even if your system crashes, you have the ability to get them back.
I don't think the games will work if you copy them to a SD card unless you copy them back to the same machine to which you originally downloaded it.

Likewise, if your system crashes, I don't know how you're going to be allowed to re-download them for free since the 2 Wiis will have different IDs. Of course, it may be possible that Nintendo will have some sort of transition, but I haven't heard of it.
Old 12-03-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You can't actually put VC games on the SD card. Only VC game saves, etc.

The SD card, for the time being, is useless.
Old 12-03-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Ohhhh. Even more reason not to get one right now.
Old 12-03-06, 01:12 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pinata242
Likewise, if your system crashes, I don't know how you're going to be allowed to re-download them for free since the 2 Wiis will have different IDs. Of course, it may be possible that Nintendo will have some sort of transition, but I haven't heard of it.
If you have a My Nintendo account (which everyone should since registering the Wii extends warranty for free--from 1 year to a year and three months IIRC) the VC games register themselves on their when you buy them if you linked your Wii to the account during set up.

For people that have that, I'm sure if the system crashes they'll have a way to let you get them again since they are registered on your account showing that you paid for them already.
Old 12-03-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
If you have a My Nintendo account (which everyone should since registering the Wii extends warranty for free--from 1 year to a year and three months IIRC) the VC games register themselves on their when you buy them if you linked your Wii to the account during set up.

For people that have that, I'm sure if the system crashes they'll have a way to let you get them again since they are registered on your account showing that you paid for them already.
That's a good point. I did notice that Bomberman '93 is linked to my My Nintendo account and that's the only game I've downloaded. At the very least it would be a good argument to use to get what you're owed, if it isn't automatic by linking the 2nd Wii with your account.
Old 12-03-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I personally love Mario 64...but if you have an HDTV and don't have the component cables yet, don't bother. It looks atrocious. I think the cables should clear up some of the horrible blurriness.

Also, playing it with a Gamecube controller feels...off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.