Reload this Page >

Analog/digital cable question

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-30-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With cable providers that no longer offer analog cable, does anyone know how likely it is that they would still come through unscrambled if you pay for digital service?

I ask because I recently bought a dual-tuner TiVo but have to move, and the cable company that provides service to my new apartment no longer offers analog cable, thus possibly rendering my dual-tuner unit into a single-tuner unit.

Last edited by Tracer Bullet; 11-30-06 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-30-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
I didn't know they made dual-tuner standalone Tivos.
Old 11-30-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I didn't know they made dual-tuner standalone Tivos.
Yeah, they just released them a few months ago. Very nice units, but they can only control one digital cable box.
Old 11-30-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
While my local Comcast doesn't offer analog cable as its own package anymore, the first 100 stations or so are still essentially analog cable, available to be picked up unscrambled via the TV tuner or TiVo without the need of the digital box. (Obiviously your mileage may vary.)
Old 11-30-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by adamblast
While my local Comcast doesn't offer analog cable as its own package anymore, the first 100 stations or so are still essentially analog cable, available to be picked up unscrambled via the TV tuner or TiVo without the need of the digital box. (Obiviously your mileage may vary.)
Ah, that's good news. Now the only question is whether my new cable company leaves them unscrambled as well.
Old 11-30-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be pretty shocked to find out that any cable company has gone 100% digital. The whole issue of not needing a box for every single TV is a good marketing angle. It will almost certainly change once it's all HD, but we're a good bit away from that at this point.
Old 11-30-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I'd be pretty shocked to find out that any cable company has gone 100% digital. The whole issue of not needing a box for every single TV is a good marketing angle. It will almost certainly change once it's all HD, but we're a good bit away from that at this point.
I questioned that as well, but for a different reason- I thought it was illegal for cable companies to require you to have a box to receive channels (which is basically what they're doing by dropping analog packages). I remember this from the bad old days when cable-ready TVs were widespread yet people were still renting those damn boxes by the month.
Old 11-30-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I questioned that as well, but for a different reason- I thought it was illegal for cable companies to require you to have a box to receive channels (which is basically what they're doing by dropping analog packages). I remember this from the bad old days when cable-ready TVs were widespread yet people were still renting those damn boxes by the month.
Don't go citing this as any authority, but I think all of those regs have long since changed. I imagine that once somebody does go all-digital (which is coming eventually), there won't be a problem with renting them tuner boxes or cards for each device.
Old 12-01-06, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xphHYM2-Q_I" ></embed>
Old 12-01-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Don't go citing this as any authority, but I think all of those regs have long since changed. I imagine that once somebody does go all-digital (which is coming eventually), there won't be a problem with renting them tuner boxes or cards for each device.
But at that point most people should own a TV with a built-in digital tuner, correct?

Of course, none of this would be a problem if we had actual cable competition. I live in a competitive area and I pay $100 a month for cable/phone/10mpbs broadband right now. When I move, I'll be paying $130 month for cable/phone/5mbps broadband. How odd!
Old 12-01-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
But at that point most people should own a TV with a built-in digital tuner, correct?
An OTA tuner is not the same thing.
Old 12-01-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I imagine by that point, most people will only need the cable cards.

It sounds like those who live in more affluent areas should have competition for their cable provider by the end of the decade from what I have read in the past. Who knows where that leaves the rest of us.