Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Boris Karloff's Thriller, still searching!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm new here and was recently up to Rogers Arkansas to visit the new Borders. I ordered "Thriller" but when it finally came in I discovered it wasn't the one I was searching so hard to find on DVD, if it ever exists. I wanted Boris Karloff's Thriller from the early '60s. A tv show that he hosted and starred in some of the episodes. It was an awesome show and I have only 6 episodes on vhs but would love to see the complete seasons on DVD, I know that there were only 2 seasons of Boris Karloff's Thriller. The one that came into Borders turned out to be Thriller a tv show that was back in the '70s. I don't even remember that show. Anyway, I'm rather disappointed that so many tv shows have been released onto DVD but not Boris Karloff's Thriller. I'm still hoping that one day they'll wise up and finally release one of the best shows ever. Lilly
Old 11-29-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
One of my all time favorite shows. You probably have the six episodes that Universal put out on vhs and laserdisc. When I first got the sci-fi channel back in the 90s I was able to tape them all. A few episodes feature the Psycho house and at least one uses the Munsters house. This was a few years before The Munsters went on the air and makes me wonder what other Universal shows might feature the house. Was odd to see the house on a normal street without all the spook stuff in the yard. Couple years ago the Scream channel showed them all uncut, commercial free and I was able to get them all on dvd-r. The good news is that Universal has complete uncut prints of every episode in dvd release quality so we may yet get a release since it won't cost them anything except to press the discs and print the covers.
Old 11-29-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I think this show is just a victim of Universal's random and odd decisions when it comes to TV releases.

More than any other studio, they lack consistency in this regard. Still, I'd expect to see this sometime in the next few years, as they start having to look deeper into the catalog to release things.
Old 11-29-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those are definitely boots... probably should remove those links.
Old 11-29-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deleted. But for 42.50 + the Green Hornet set included. The screen pics didnt look to bad either. oH WELL.

Old 11-29-06, 09:33 PM

Thanks

I had no idea about the houses that appeared in Thriller. I've not seen the show in a long time, appart from the 6 episodes I have on vhs. One thing that makes me wonder and this has happened before. Since the '70s Thriller has been released, I'm thinking that Boris Karloff's Thriller will be released later on. I sure hope Universal will put out Boris Karloff's Thriller. Out of the many great tv shows that appeared during the 50s and 60s, this was one of the best. Sad that it lasted only 2 seasons. I'll keep searching and probing for info on this show. Sooner or later they're bound to release it. Unlike One Step Beyond which is in Public Domain. I'd love to see One Step Beyond properly released, but I don't think we'll see it any time soon. They do have One Step Beyond out on DVD but none of them are released as seasonal packages. I'll keep searching for info on Boris Karloff's Thriller. I'm amazed that they put out Boris Karloff's The Veil on DVD and this show is much like One Step Beyond but with Karloff. Rather good. Lilly
Old 11-30-06, 01:13 AM

SpiritWhisper,

I'm right there with you. I too have been looking for this series and ALMOST ordered the 70's version but realized it was the wrong one.

I've not seen this since the 60's.
Old 11-30-06, 03:08 PM

Hello

Originally Posted by spawndude
SpiritWhisper,

I'm right there with you. I too have been looking for this series and ALMOST ordered the 70's version but realized it was the wrong one.

I've not seen this since the 60's.

I ordered Thriller from Borders and didn't have to put any money down, so when it came in and I found out it was the 70s version, I didn't have to buy it, which is really nice. I'm so glad that when they released the 6 episodes of Thriller on vhs some years back, that I had the forsight to buy them up at the time. It'll make me happy for a while until they finally release Thriller complete on DVD.
Old 11-30-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
Couple years ago the Scream channel showed them all uncut, commercial free and I was able to get them all on dvd-r.
wish i had done that. How many disc did it take you.
Old 12-01-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cameron
34 discs. 33 with two eps. each. 1 disc with one ep. They do have the channel logo in the corner though.
Old 12-01-06, 04:11 PM

That's awesome that you have it recorded. Some of the episodes I remember but there are others I don't. It's been too many years. What I love about the show is the music for the show.
Old 12-01-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
There are couple of people selling them if you do google search. I deleted my orignal post here since it was suggested they be deleted. I guess you could call them boots.
Old 12-01-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ernestrp
There are couple of people selling them if you do google search. I deleted my orignal post here since it was suggested they be deleted. I guess you could call them boots.
People have been selling bootlegs of the show going all the way back to vhs.
Old 12-02-06, 12:57 PM

That says a lot!

The fact that the show gets bootlegged when vhs tapes were very popular says a lot about how much this show is loved. Now if they'd only release it officially onto DVD that would be wonderful. Lilly