Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Preacher Series Coming to AMC - Seth Rogen/Evan Goldberg developing

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Preacher Series Coming to AMC - Seth Rogen/Evan Goldberg developing

I just read the article below and i am very happy to hear this. I have always been a huge fan of the comics and realized that if they ever brought it to the big screen they would fuck it up so much that it would be a completely different animal (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen anyone....). This is something that needs to stick closely to the source material to be a winner. I cannot wait to see how it ends up.

http://comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=17735

What casting choices would you all make??? I always liked the idea of Clint Eastwood as the Saint of Killers.....but its a dream choice that i doubt would ever happen.
Old 11-29-06, 08:06 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it

Custer - Depp
Cassidy - David Bowie or Robert Carlyle
Tulip -
Saint - Eastwood
Starr - Terry O' Quinn
Old 11-29-06, 08:49 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm not familiar with this story, but reading the article in the link sounds somewhat similar to Carnivāle (2003) - in a GvsE sort of way. Anyway, here's hoping it gets better ratings.
Old 11-29-06, 12:33 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by dek
I'll believe it when I see it
Same here, it's been rumored to be heading to HBO before.
Old 11-29-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Im buying DVD sets of this allready. Wonderful news!
Old 11-29-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it/They better follow the source" crowds. All-in-all, awesome news if it is indeed true!
Old 11-29-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How can any true Preacher fan be excited by this announcement with such a putrid creative team behind it. I'd rather never see a Preacher series then have MSJ ruin another comic book adaptation.

As for the casting, since there already is an HBO connection, I can't think opf anyone that would be a more perfect Custer than Timothy Olyphant
Old 11-29-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a little skeptical about this project. Reading the comic I thought because of the content a movie or TV adaption wouldn't ever be possible. But even Sin City came to the big screen....(not too good unfortunately).

Some of the tedious and narcistic dialogues scream for Tarantino.

Arseface is ready for the prom night:

Last edited by Frenzy; 11-29-06 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-29-06, 07:06 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Sessa17
How can any true Preacher fan be excited by this announcement with such a putrid creative team behind it. I'd rather never see a Preacher series then have MSJ ruin another comic book adaptation.
Hey -- if the guy behind Wolf Lake was able to give us Carnivale, then maybe the guy behind Daredevil can give us a decent Preacher adaptation.

Here's the Hollywood Reporter story on this

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...799d1f588be3da
Old 11-29-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Wow. I never read the comic but I was aware of its "coolness". HBO is perfect for shows like this.

But like someone said, I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm still waitin' for the SPAWN to return.....
Old 11-29-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would be shocked if this happened, but elated if it was as good as the comic. here's hoping...
Old 11-30-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Anyone unfamiliar with the series can read the first issue free online here (PDF) at the DC Comics website.
Old 11-30-06, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm still waitin' for the SPAWN to return.....
Wasn't a new animated series announced?
Old 11-30-06, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenzy
Wasn't a new animated series announced?
Yes....and I'm still waiting....
Old 11-30-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

How could any true Preacher fan not be worried with that creative team behind it?

Still, I'll gladly give it a whirl, though I suspect its blunter, rougher, un-PC dark edges will be dulled a little. Yes, even on HBO, because HBO worries about offending people too. The Preacher is wacky in tone, like a series for anti-religion, pro-sin, red state Conservatives.

Casting will be intersting.

Custer: Jason Patric has the look but is too creepy (and old).

Cassidy: Someone mentioned, Robert Carlyle. Skews older for the character but a damn good choice.

Tulip: Ten years ago I'd have said Virginia Madsen would be aces in the role. Should be the hardest casting. Tough chick who doesnt mind being a gratuitous sex object.

Saint: Hasn't Sam Elliot spent his whole career in preperation for this role?

Herr Starr: I say German actor Christian Berkel, who was in "Downfall." He's got the look and the acting chops.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 11-30-06 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-30-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love Preacher, but it's one of those stories that I really have a hard time believing can be adapted properly. I mean it's so out there and big, I don't know how they can contain it to tv. But it's so much better than someone trying to cram all, or even some, that is Preacher into a movie. I am happy to hear about it though and hope they can pull it off...if it does come to pass.

I hope this show does well plowing the way for Y the Last Man, a much more obvious choice.
Old 11-30-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
Tulip: Ten years ago I'd have said Virginia Madsen would be aces in the role. Should be the hardest casting. Tough chick who doesnt mind being a gratuitous sex object.
The only blonde that came to my mind when I thought about this was Scarlett Johansson. Then again, i've only seen one of her flicks..
Old 12-01-06, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
Herr Starr: I say German actor Christian Berkel, who was in "Downfall." He's got the look and the acting chops.
I prefer Udo Kier:

But in the end it will be an American actor...
Old 12-01-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the comic, so if the TV show were done right, I'd love to see it. If it was done badly, no big deal, I'd just ignore it's existance.

Udo Kier would be great for Starr. I've been a big fan of his since I first saw FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN.
Old 12-02-06, 09:29 AM

Anyone else think that Dominic West from The Wire would make an absolutely great Jessie Custer?
Old 12-02-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
Anyone else think that Dominic West from The Wire would make an absolutely great Jessie Custer?
Naaa.....just because he plays an Irish guy in The Wire?

The singer of MUSE would be a great match (well, at least in terms of appearance).

Old 08-25-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

MARK STEVEN JOHNSON: NO PREACHER ON HBO

Mark Steven Johnson, who brought Daredevil and Ghost Rider to the big screen, told The Continuum that his attempts to bring Garth Ennis' Preacher to HBO as a series were close but ultimately unsuccessful.

"We were budgeting and everything and it was getting really close to going," Johnson told The Continuum. "But the new head of HBO felt it was just too dark and too violent and too controversial. Which, of course, is kind of the point!

"It was a very faithful adaptation of the first few books, nearly word for word. They offered me the chance to redevelop it but I refused. I've learned my lesson on that front and I won't do it again. So I'm afraid it's dead at HBO.

"I've heard someone is in the process of getting the rights to turn it into a feature film. I hope that happens. But I hope it happens as a series of movies as one movie couldn't do it justice. I really love that story and I dedicated a lot of my time to honor Garth's work. But it wasn't meant to be."

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...8/25/index.htm
Old 08-25-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
While i'm sad, i'm kinda glad. If it can't be done right, don't do it at all.

Or at the very least have Nic Cage star..
Old 08-25-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That link in the OP spoiled something about Lost for me. >:-o
Old 11-16-13, 11:47 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Preacher Series Coming to HBO Announcement

AMC Is Taking PREACHER To Pilot

The classic Vertigo series could be your next Sunday night obsession.

With the loss of Breaking Bad and soon Mad Men, AMC is looking at a big hole in their schedule, one that shows like The Killing and Low Winter Sun haven't quite been able to fill. While they have the ratings juggernaut that is The Walking Dead, they still need something that will be a buzz show, that will get a ton of attention and make a cultural impact. They're betting that show will be Preacher.

Sources tell me that the network has ordered a pilot based on the classic Vertigo comic by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. In the comic Jesse Custer is a small town preacher who is torn by booze and sin and who finds himself the vessel for a strange entity - the child of a mating between an angel and a demon. Filled with immense power, including The Word of God, which makes anyone do whatever he says, Jesse goes hunting for the Lord Almighty, who has abandoned creation. He aims to make him pay for leaving his children behind. Joining Jesse on his journey is his ex-girlfriend Tulip, who is now a hit woman, and a hundred year old Irish vampire named Cassidy. Along the way they battle secret religious commandoes, the retarded descendent of Christ, a guy who fucks meat and even each other.

The comic is profane and blasphemous, and if AMC takes it to series they're showing a commitment to upping the R-rated quality of what we've seen on The Walking Dead. It isn't so much that Preacher is hyper-violent - although it can be - but rather that it tackles hot-button religious issues with all the subtlety and grace of a loud wet fart in church.

Preacher has been out in the world of almost getting adapted for a while; it all started back in 1998 when Garth Ennis wrote a draft of a script and Kevin Smith tried to get Harvey Weinstein to make it. Along the way we've seen people like Rachel Talaly, DJ Caruso and Sam Mendes attached to direct. I don't know who is attached to the TV series, but I hear the names are big and impressive.

The sprawling, road trip nature of the comic lends itself to TV more than movies in my opinion. I think AMC will take the show right to the edge (if it goes to series), and I wouldn't be shocked to discover they shoot alternate, crazier versions for Netflix and home video. And of course going to series is the next big hump; this property has been floundering in adaptation for a lot of years, and there's no guarantee this version will get any farther than previous ones.
http://badassdigest.com/2013/11/16/a...acher-to-pilot

AMC has a pretty good track record, so this could be good news.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.