Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

WC Fields Comedy Collection Volume 2 ----> 3/20/2007

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WC Fields Comedy Collection Volume 2 ----> 3/20/2007

The Universal website has the WC Fields Comedy collection Volume 2 coming next march. Here is the list of films included:

Disc 1
You're Telling Me!
Run Time: 1 Hour 6 Minutes

Bonus Materials
Theatrical Trailer

Disc 2
The Old Fashioned Way
Run Time: 1 Hour 6 Minutes
MPAA Rating: Not Rated

Bonus Materials
Theatrical Trailer

Disc 3
The Man on the Flying Trapeze
Run Time: 1 Hour 5 Minutes

Bonus Materials
Theatrical Trailer

Disc 4
Poppy
Run Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes

Bonus Materials
Theatrical Trailer

Disc 5
Never Give a Sucker an Even Break
Run Time: 1 Hour 11 Minutes

Bonus Materials
Wayne and Schuster Take an Affectionate Look at W.C. Fields
Theatrical Trailer
http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...?childId=36654

Universal did a very good job with Volume 1, so hopefully Volume 2 will be more of the same.
Old 11-28-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome news, I can't wait. All these titles are great, especially The Old Fashioned Way... never thought we'd get these, that first set has been out awhile.
Old 11-28-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
This is great news. IMHO, this is a slightly stronger collection than the previous one.
Old 11-28-06, 08:35 PM

Wow, awesome! I bought the first set and instantly became a fan, so I got the Criterion WC Fields Short Films disc. I didn't realize that there was still this much material left to see! I'm very excited.

My favorites from the first set are It's a Gift and The Bank Dick. The other films were lacking, somehow. What are these movies like? Will we get more of the Father-with-a-rotten-family character? Those are the best.
Old 11-28-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Man on the Flying Trapeze is hilarious. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026676/plotsummary
Old 11-28-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Excellent news - my only problem with the first set was that these films weren't on it!
Old 11-28-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK is probably the most bizarre Fields film, and my favorite. (Every time I watch it, I wonder how it ever got made - it's like some off-the-wall experimental indie.)
Old 11-28-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the heads-up.....want it bad.
Old 11-29-06, 05:27 AM

This news has made me very happy

Last edited by Bobou2; 12-07-06 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-29-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
What are these movies like? Will we get more of the Father-with-a-rotten-family character? Those are the best.
You got it!

The Man on The Flying Trapeze It was once said that Fields only played 2 characters in the movies: Men who never settled down and men who wished they hadn't. In this movie, Ambrose Wolfinger really wishes he hadn't! All the parts are here: a nagging wife, a shrewish mother-in-law and a brother-in-law who's so lazy he takes a nap every morning after breakfast!

You're Telling Me Is another family man movie, but this time Fields is also a struggling inventor trying to sell a puncture proof tire.

The Old Fashioned Way Fields as The Great McGonigle, this time as a man who didn't settle down. He heads a travelling theatre troupe seeking to finance his show by conning a wealthy widow. Fields based this character on people he worked for in vaudeville and he also performs his juggling act.

Poppy This time as another man who never settled down, Fields works the carnival circuit and tries to pass off his daughter as an heiress. Not as funny as Old Fashioned Way, but still has plenty of great bits. This movie was based on a stage play that starred Fields in the 20s and was also a remake of the silent movie Sally of the Sawdust

Never Give A Sucker An Even Break. By the end of his career, Fields had reached the point where he had full creative control of his movies, and that's how this brilliant spoof of Hollywood got made.
Old 11-29-06, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
The Universal website has the WC Fields Comedy collection Volume 2 coming next march. Here is the list of films included:

http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...?childId=36654

Universal did a very good job with Volume 1, so hopefully Volume 2 will be more of the same.
I'd pretty much given up on any more collections after all this time! Recently invested some money in my old computer by installing a DVD burner and buying an external USB video input thingy to record some old VHS tapes to DVD. Some of the first things I transferred to DVD were some old VHS tapes recorded off "The Movie Channel" back in the late 1980's that I taped when they were showing a bunch of old W.C. Fields movies one month. It'll be good to get "Poppy" though, since I didn't have it on tape.

The ones I had on tape that I transferred are: Tillie and Gus, The Old Fashioned Way, Never Give A Sucker An Even Break, Man on the Flying Trapeze, Mississippi (Bing Crosby had top billing in that one, but W.C. Fields was second billed), and You're Telling Me!.

The DVD copies don't look too bad though, since I used my "master copies" to make the DVD's. All the old tapes I recorded from TV, I made an extra copy, stored away the "original", and only watched the copy all these years, so the originals are still in great condition.
Old 11-30-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

HOORAY!

Best DVD News I've read all week. Glad to see "Never Give a Sucker..." in this batch-- I'd wondered why it wasn't included in Vol. 1, since it included his three other late-period Uni releases.

Just finished reading James Curtis' excellent Fields biography and was jonesing for some new W.C. on DVD. Now why do we have to wait till March?
Old 12-01-06, 10:20 AM
Cool New Member

I hope there will be a Vol. 3 with Million Dollar Legs, Mississippi and a few of his other titles on it.
Old 12-01-06, 08:57 PM

If I Had A Million is one I'm waiting for.
Old 12-01-06, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Damfino
You got it!

The Man on The Flying Trapeze It was once said that Fields only played 2 characters in the movies: Men who never settled down and men who wished they hadn't. In this movie, Ambrose Wolfinger really wishes he hadn't! All the parts are here: a nagging wife, a shrewish mother-in-law and a brother-in-law who's so lazy he takes a nap every morning after breakfast!

You're Telling Me Is another family man movie, but this time Fields is also a struggling inventor trying to sell a puncture proof tire.

The Old Fashioned Way Fields as The Great McGonigle, this time as a man who didn't settle down. He heads a travelling theatre troupe seeking to finance his show by conning a wealthy widow. Fields based this character on people he worked for in vaudeville and he also performs his juggling act.

Poppy This time as another man who never settled down, Fields works the carnival circuit and tries to pass off his daughter as an heiress. Not as funny as Old Fashioned Way, but still has plenty of great bits. This movie was based on a stage play that starred Fields in the 20s and was also a remake of the silent movie Sally of the Sawdust

Never Give A Sucker An Even Break. By the end of his career, Fields had reached the point where he had full creative control of his movies, and that's how this brilliant spoof of Hollywood got made.

Thanks very much! This sounds amazing! Here's hoping the packaging will match the first set!