Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about "The X-files" Box sets (new vs old).

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-06, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never watched the x-files during it's initial run, except maybe a couple of episodes, but I never got into it. I purchased the season one box set (old version) a few months ago when it was on sale for $14.99 and finally got around to watching it this weekend.

Now I'm kind of hooked on it, and I'm planning on picking up the rest of the sets. My question is - which version is better - the older, original releases or the new slimpack releases. I know that the new releases are missing the seventh bonus feature disc, so it seems like that may be the way to go. But in looking around, it looks like there may be some new material on the new releases that wasn't included in the original ones.

I know the original releases are more expensive, but not by much - as low as $10.00 depending on where you buy them from. My question is, not taking cost into account, what differences are there in the 2 versions and which version is the best?

Thanks for any help,

Roy
Old 11-26-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's no new additional material on the slimpack versions. The big benefit of the slimpack versions (other than the lower price) is the packaging is cooler and not as flimsy. Interestingly enough, the slimpack versions still contain some bonus material that were already on the episode discs (i.e. commentaries and deleted scenes). It doesn't contain the 7th bonus disc and extras on them.

So if you're a X-Files completist, the digipak versions are the way to go, but if you just want the episodes, better packaging, and not all of the extras, then you'll want to go for the slimpack editions.
Old 11-26-06, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'd say buy 1,2 and 3. they are the best. the new cases are nice but the (uk region 2) bonus disc just sits in the slot in the booklet which sucks. my advice is to put it in a regular cd or dvd case to avoid getting it scratched. of course so seasons are only six discs which is fine. but the new case is a bit fiddly for removing the discs. it's still all the same x-files goodness whatever you buy.
Old 11-27-06, 01:32 AM

Thanks for the replies,

So the six discs in the new sets have the same exact material as the ones in the old sets, and the only difference in the new releases is the new packaging and the lack of the seventh bonus disc.

If that's the case, I may rent a couple of the bonus discs first and see if they are worth the extra $$.

Thanks Again,

Roy
Old 11-27-06, 04:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roy28
Thanks for the replies,

So the six discs in the new sets have the same exact material as the ones in the old sets, and the only difference in the new releases is the new packaging and the lack of the seventh bonus disc.

If that's the case, I may rent a couple of the bonus discs first and see if they are worth the extra $$.

Thanks Again,

Roy
That's what I did. I bought the slim sets and rented the bonus discs. The slimpacks don't have all the features, but they do have the deleted scenes. However, seasons 6-8 of the slimpacks have ALL of the bonus features.
Old 11-27-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went with the slim sets. After seeing the bonus material on seasons 6-8 (which are complete as previsously mentioned), I might rent the missing discs at some point. But I certainly don't regret not owning those discs.
Old 11-27-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have seasons 1-6 in the digipak. I feel I have to get the rest of the seasons in the same format. There getting harder to find online in this format though.
Old 11-28-06, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I personally prefer the old boxes with the extra content. I scrounged em up at BB as the new ones came out.

I plan on printing replacement covers and repacking 'em in better cases. Eventually.
Old 11-28-06, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by edstein
I have seasons 1-6 in the digipak. I feel I have to get the rest of the seasons in the same format. There getting harder to find online in this format though.
I'm in the exact same situation.
Old 11-28-06, 04:02 AM

Last I saw they were around $30 at Costco for the old and in my opinion better digipack sets.