Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Best racing/driving game for 360? (Suggestions)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several to choose from, but I'm looking for reactions from people that have actually played racing games. I want to pick one up for XMas, but don't want to go in blind. What are the 'best' in your opinion, NFS: Unlimited, Carbon, PG3, RR, etc...?
Old 11-25-06, 05:56 PM

Have you downloaded any of the demos? Personally I'm not into racing games but dl'ed Burnout Revenge and was totally into it. Paying $20 for a brand new copy at the local Gamerush was an added bonus, but i would have paid $40 or so.
Old 11-25-06, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm actually downloading the TD:U demo right now. I forgot about the Burnout game, but I was kind of turned off because I finished so much of it on the XBox...what a great game.
Old 11-25-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Test Drive Unlimited is way better than PGR 3. You can travel anywhere and not be limited to tracks.
Old 11-25-06, 07:01 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Burnout and Test Drive are my favorite two. They offer different experiences and together cover most of what you'll get from the other games. I think you can download trials for both of these.

I liked PGR3, but would be my third choice. I didn't care for Ridge Racer 6 and have not played NFS: Carbon. I'm downloading the Carbon demo as I type.
Old 11-25-06, 07:19 PM

My favorites are: Burnout, NFS Most Wanted and Test Drive: U

Ridge Racer is good too but you have to like the RR games.
Old 11-25-06, 07:35 PM
mbs

Oh, I should also say that I thought the Full Auto demo was a lot of fun. The unwreck thing is pretty cool. It's probably only something I'd buy on the cheap though.
Old 11-25-06, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by mbs
Oh, I should also say that I thought the Full Auto demo was a lot of fun. The unwreck thing is pretty cool. It's probably only something I'd buy on the cheap though.
I agree Full Auto is a lot fun for a while but is getting old really quick.
Old 11-25-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have been playing Burnout Revenge and it's a lot of fun. There is lots of variety with all the different racing types, I like the Crash events more than the actual racing. Plus it can be bought at gamerush for $20 new.
Old 11-26-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd go with Test Drive: Unlimited for the best overall racing game on the Xbox 360. I'm a big fan of racing games and that one is my favorite on this system. (If you care to know, Rallisport Racing 2 and F-Zero are other favorites).

Test Drive: Unlimited is somewhat realistic in its handling, but not enough to make it a true simulation or extremely difficult to master. The idea is that you're in Oahu and driving a car or riding a motorcycle. If you have Xbox Live, you're sharing the roads with other racers all the time (unless you're doing specific missions or races). So you can just explore the island with others, challenge them to races, etc. The game has a wide variety of customization (lots of cars and ways to paint them, lots of motorcycles, houses you can buy, outfits for your character to wear). And the entire island is open, with no loading times. You can "teleport" to different spots you've been to before or you can drive around. A couple of the bigger races take 40 to 50 minutes (most take 3-8 minutes).

Burnout: Revenge is the best arcade racer. It is completely unrealistic but it's fun.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted is also a good racer but not as good as the other two.

PGR3 is excellent but you're just doing the same thing all the time: racing or battling for Kudos. Burnout and TDU have much more varied gametypes and I don't get as bored with them.
Old 11-26-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked NFS:MW more than carbon (based on the demos)
TD was nice too.

I had PGR3 and got rid of it, I hated the kudos requirement for the races.

I like the Gran Tourismo series the best, buying all sort of cars, then souping them up.
Old 11-26-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jon-w9
I liked NFS:MW more than carbon (based on the demos)
TD was nice too.

I had PGR3 and got rid of it, I hated the kudos requirement for the races.

I like the Gran Tourismo series the best, buying all sort of cars, then souping them up.
If you're a huge fan of customization, the Need for Speed: Most Wanted game is far and away the best. You can spend a half hour working on the look of your car and you're guaranteed to not see a car like yours if you play online. The game is fun, but it's a bit launch-gamey and can't hold a candle to TD:U or Burnout.
Old 11-26-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Burnout. Best racing game I've played in years.
Old 11-26-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Burnout: Revenge gets my vote. NFS:MW was pretty fun too, especially in the customization area, though the police can become frustratingly hard toward the end.
Old 11-26-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
If you're a huge fan of customization, the Need for Speed: Most Wanted game is far and away the best. You can spend a half hour working on the look of your car and you're guaranteed to not see a car like yours if you play online. The game is fun, but it's a bit launch-gamey and can't hold a candle to TD:U or Burnout.
I like customizint the engine and such more than adding big rims and such (a la carbon)
Old 11-26-06, 09:22 PM
Suspended

I love Burnout and Most Wanted. The cops chases in Most Wanted roxors my soxors.
Old 11-27-06, 01:29 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It depends. Do you want a serious/realistic racing game or more arcade fun? Burnout is certainly the most FUN out there. I've played it for days and days and days...
Old 11-27-06, 01:31 PM

the most realistic driving game out right now is moto gp 06, but im not sure how that would fair with an actual driving wheel.

Maybe wait a bit for Forza 2
Old 11-27-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I decided to pick up Burnout even though I played the Hell out of it on XBox. I downloaded the TD:U demo and I am impressed with the graphics, but gameplay seemed a little 'slow' or something. I'm going to try to rent Carbon or Most Wanted to check them out.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-27-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by exm
It depends. Do you want a serious/realistic racing game
There is no realistic game on the 360 yet, at least for cars. PGR3 is semi-realistic but asks you to do stupid stuff (EXTREME! TURN! Plus 5 Kool Points!). Test Drive Unlimited asks you to drive normally (even within the realm of traffic laws) but gives you an arcadish driving feel.
Old 11-27-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't Forza 2 coming out soon?