TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"The Nine" pulled from schedule indefinitely

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
"The Nine" pulled from schedule indefinitely

From Zap2it.com

Looks like this show is history. Hank Steinberg must be scratching his head now as to why he left "Without a Trace" for this.

It may be a while before anyone finds out what happened to "The Nine" inside that bank.

ABC has pulled the critically acclaimed but ratings-challenged series from its schedule effective immediately. A special edition of "20/20" will take its place on Wednesday, Nov. 29, and another newsmagazine, "Primetime," will move into the 10 p.m. Wednesday spot the following week.

The network made the announcement on Saturday, in the midst of a holiday weekend when presumably the TV critics who hailed the show at the start of the season aren't working. Its ratings haven't matched the praise, though: Through last week the show had averaged just 8.6 million viewers, fumbling more than half of the 17.7 million viewers who watched its lead-in, "Lost."

With "Lost" now on hiatus, numbers for "The Nine" tumbled even further this week, finishing a distant third in its timeslot.

"The Nine," which stars Tim Daly, Kim Raver, Chi McBride and Scott Wolf, follows the lives of people who survived a 52-hour hostage standoff resulting from a botched bank robbery. The series' primary focus is on the emotional fallout for the survivors, with flashback sequences filling in the events of the robbery.

ABC says the show will return sometime later this season but is offering no specifics. It joins another ABC freshman show, "Six Degrees," in scheduling limbo.
Old 11-25-06, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
I guess Kim Raver is finally free to shoot some more episodes of 24 this season.
Old 11-25-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
At least they replaced with a John Stossel special on Wednesday. I still have the last episode in the DVR. I'll leave it there until the official cancellation comes down.
Old 11-25-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Poor Tim Daly. I wonder what the next good but underappreciated and short-lived ABC Wednesday 10 pm show he'll be working on.
Old 11-25-06, 03:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I've seen every episode, but it's just not that compelling. About 10% of the show are the flashback scenes to the bank and it's not enough. I also don't really feel like there are so many unanswered questions that I'm dying to see played out in the flashbacks. I know Lost can be frustrating with it's many mysteries, but this has hardly any. One of the main ones was what did Scott Wolf do to upset his girlfriend so much in the bank. Then instead of showing it in the flashback, he just tells the story over the dinner table and now I don't care if I see it.
Old 11-25-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Guess there's no need to watch Wednesday's episode now.
Old 11-25-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was hoping they'd get to the 9th episode and then can it (call it irony), but they've only shown 7 episodes so far.
Old 11-25-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Not too shocked over this, but I can't figure out if I'm a little upset or not. I've stuck with the show from the start, and I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I think it is a show that is done very well in most all respects, but it's always just left me cold and unattached. I acknowledge it's good but it hasn't gotten me emotionally invested in the least.
Old 11-25-06, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
I've seen every episode, but it's just not that compelling. About 10% of the show are the flashback scenes to the bank and it's not enough. I also don't really feel like there are so many unanswered questions that I'm dying to see played out in the flashbacks. I know Lost can be frustrating with it's many mysteries, but this has hardly any. One of the main ones was what did Scott Wolf do to upset his girlfriend so much in the bank. Then instead of showing it in the flashback, he just tells the story over the dinner table and now I don't care if I see it.
yup the biggest thing i cared about was what he did. and it wasn't all that bad either. maybe if he pushed her into the robber while he made a break for it, or tried to sell her out to the robbers to get himself freed, it would have been the terrible thing i expected. but just making a run for it wasn't that bad
Old 11-25-06, 04:46 PM

for a show like this wouldn't they have already shot all of the robbery footage? that seems like a big investment to throw away
Old 11-25-06, 05:01 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is shocking news, I really liked the show. I'm not going to erase the last episode I have on my dvr just yet. Last time I did this Studio 60 got renewed and I felt like a boob.
Old 11-25-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
DANGIT! I actually liked this show a fair amount, and I hope they at least put the rest up the website. I would have liked to see it given more of a chance, but I guess if people haven't caught on by now they weren't too likely to jump in mid-stream. Drat.
Old 11-25-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
That's too bad. Wish they would burn them off as I would like to see it through.
Old 11-25-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mok
This is shocking news, I really liked the show. I'm not going to erase the last episode I have on my dvr just yet. Last time I did this Studio 60 got renewed and I felt like a boob.
Well to be fair, Studio 60 was never pulled. Some random guy just claimed the cancellation was imminent, but it was an unsubstantiated rumor. This is a fact that The Nine was pulled.
Old 11-25-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I was anxiously awaiting the premiere of this show based on the "rave" praise that it got but once I started watching this show, I just couldn't get into it.
Old 11-25-06, 06:12 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
What was it? I only saw the first episode, but I would like to hear that spoiler. What did he do to his girlfriend?
Old 11-25-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had my theories about why Scott Wolf's character and his girlfriend and my theories were far grosser than what was revealed:

Spoiler:
During their hostage situation, the guy saw an opening to run for it, and he ran for the exit, and left his girlfriend behind to save himself, which shook her to the core, as he became the biggest coward in her eyes, and her love for him just dissapated from that point on as he saw the look of abandonment and betrayal on her face. The gunman was able to stop the guy from escaping, and the shame he felt made it tough for him to even look his girlfriend in the eye from then on.
Old 11-25-06, 07:44 PM

I watched the first episode and thought it was terrible.
Old 11-25-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really get how what Scott Wolf did advanced his relationship with the sister of the dead chick. I thought that they had sex in there somehow in all of the drama. For him to run was cowardly and I can see why his girlfriend would ditch him for it, but it doesn't explain how it began such a close relationship with the new girl. Also wouldn't it really shake him as a whole? I would think once he realized what a scumbag he was, he would want to time to deal with it rather than trying to hook up with the next chick he saw.

Although I've kept up with the show (sort of), it's not really disappointing that it is being pulled.
Old 11-25-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the 1st espisode was fine. When it came to the 2nd, I was bored. Saw a part of the 3rd and gave up on it.
Old 11-25-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by resinrats
I thought the 1st espisode was fine. When it came to the 2nd, I was bored. Saw a part of the 3rd and gave up on it.
That's exactly what I did.

I kept expecting there to be some big mystery, but I was left flat by "find out exactly what happened during the 52 hours." All the characters already know what happened so how is that interesting to watch? Usually with shows you are finding out things right along with the main characters, but this was just a lame storytelling device, like "we know what happened and you don't, na na na na na."
Old 11-25-06, 08:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Tim Daly is a jinx
Old 11-25-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think what happened to this show is that the creative staff read too much of their own press. The pilot was solid. The first handful of episodes after it were WAY too light on the hostage scenery. One of them only gave us something like 15 seconds of hostage scene! They picked it up in the last couple of episodes, but it was just too late.

ABC should have stuck with Eyes. If they had been in the least bit patient with it, I think it really could have grown into something. They deserve last year's flop and now this year's flop for axing it so quickly.
Old 11-25-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
ABC should have stuck with Eyes. If they had been in the least bit patient with it, I think it really could have grown into something. They deserve last year's flop and now this year's flop for axing it so quickly.

That quick hook will never cease to piss me off. That was a fantastic show - great characters and so slick.
Old 11-25-06, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Eyes cancellation was so quick it seems very likely to have been greenlit by one exec and killed by another just out of spite. I'm trying to remember when the last big change happened at ABC...if I recall, it was just before LOST, DH, and GA came around. That would make the timing just about right...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.