Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Everest

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-06, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everest

Hi all I’m working on a new show called Everest. A group of amateur climbers and their adventure up Mt. Everest during what has been considered one of the deadliest climbing seasons is actually captured in this show. While the show is very dangerous and intense it is still very interesting to see what and how they get through it all....anyway the show actually premiered on Tuesday and I was wondering if anyone had the chance to see it!
Old 11-17-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
On which network?
Old 11-17-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Isn't this what they've been pimping for Discovery Channel?
Old 11-17-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, Discovery Channel on Tuesdays.
Old 11-19-06, 02:51 PM

Thats right it comes on Tuesday on Discovery Channel it actually premiered on last Tuesday did anyone get a chance to see the show? We also have a new show called Man vs. Wild with Bear Grylls which comes on Fridays Has anyone heard of this one or watched it?
Old 11-19-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Does the show touch on the David Sharp incident at all? I believe they were one of the groups that passed by him and left him there to die.
Old 11-19-06, 10:54 PM

I caught the episode last week and it is off to an interesting start. Ever since reading "Into Thin Air" a while back I have been fascinated by Everest. I am really looking forward to the rest of the series.
Old 11-20-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by CareShield
Thats right it comes on Tuesday on Discovery Channel it actually premiered on last Tuesday did anyone get a chance to see the show? We also have a new show called Man vs. Wild with Bear Grylls which comes on Fridays Has anyone heard of this one or watched it?

Shill?
Old 11-22-06, 07:26 AM

“Yes Dr. E, episode 6 of Everest does touch on this incident although no footage of the climber himself is shown, per the family’s request. This past climbing season was the second deadliest in the history of Everest. From what I understand, during the Discovery expedition, a member of the team encountered this climber from another expedition who was dying. They radioed in to base camp, and attempted to provide oxygen and tend to the climber with all available resources. In Russell Brice’s opinion - he was the expedition leader in charge of all mountaineering decisions - the lack of available oxygen, the lack of human resources and the dying climber’s serious condition made a rescue attempt impossible.”
Old 12-19-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
Does the show touch on the David Sharp incident at all? I believe they were one of the groups that passed by him and left him there to die.
I just happen to catch the final episode of this last night. I'm not sure if this was the same season as what was posted here or not though. They spoke about the incident, but didn't talk about it much.

This was interesting though. Gave me the curiosity to look up a little more information about climbing it. I had no idea what was involved in reaching it's summit. The time involved it amazing. It's not like you can take a week off of work and give it a whirl.
Old 12-19-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by kantonburg
I had no idea what was involved in reaching it's summit. The time involved it amazing. It's not like you can take a week off of work and give it a whirl.
Yeah, it's crazy. They are on the mountain for weeks. I always watch these Everest shows as I'm always interested in this stuff.
Old 12-19-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From wikipedia to take this for what it's worth

The ascent via the southeast ridge begins with a trek to Base Camp at 5,380 m (17,600 ft) on the south side of Everest in Nepal. Expeditions usually fly into Lukla (2,860 m) from Kathmandu and pass through Namche Bazaar. Climbers then hike to Base Camp, which usually takes six to eight days, allowing for proper altitude acclimatization in order to prevent altitude sickness. Climbing equipment and supplies are carried by yaks, dzopkyos (yak hybrids) and human porters to Base Camp on the Khumbu Glacier. When Hillary and Tenzing climbed Everest in 1953, they started from Kathmandu Valley, as there were no roads further east at that time.

Climbers will spend a couple of weeks in Base Camp, acclimatizing to the altitude. During that time, Sherpas and some expedition climbers will set up ropes and ladders in the treacherous Khumbu Icefall. Seracs, crevasses and shifting blocks of ice make the icefall one of the most dangerous sections of the route. Many climbers and Sherpas have been killed in this section. To reduce the hazard, climbers will usually begin their ascent well before dawn when the freezing temperatures glue ice blocks in place. Above the icefall is Camp I at 6,065 m (19,900 ft).

From Camp I, climbers make their way up the Western Cwm to the base of the Lhotse face, where Camp II or Advanced Base Camp (ABC) is established at 6,500 m (21,300 ft). The Western Cwm is a relatively flat, gently rising glacial valley, marked by huge lateral crevasses in the centre which prevent direct access to the upper reaches of the Cwm. Climbers are forced to cross on the far right near the base of Nuptse to a small passageway known as the "Nuptse corner". The Western Cwm is also called the "Valley of Silence" as the topography of the area generally cuts off wind from the climbing route. The high altitude and a clear, windless day can make the Western Cwm unbearably hot for climbers.

From ABC, climbers ascend the Lhotse face on fixed ropes up to Camp III, located on a small ledge at 7,470 m (24,500 ft). From there, it is another 500 metres to Camp IV on the South Col at 7,920 m (26,000 ft). From Camp III to Camp IV, climbers are faced with two additional challenges: The Geneva Spur and The Yellow Band. The Geneva Spur is an anvil shaped rib of black rock named by a 1952 Swiss expedition. Fixed ropes assist climbers in scrambling over this snow covered rock band. The Yellow Band is a section of interlayered marble, phyllite, and semischist which also requires about 100 metres of rope for traversing it.

On the South Col, climbers enter the death zone. Climbers typically only have a maximum of two or three days they can endure at this altitude for making summit bids. Clear weather and low winds are critical factors in deciding whether to make a summit attempt. If weather does not cooperate within these short few days, climbers are forced to descend, many all the way back down to Base Camp.

From Camp IV, climbers will begin their summit push around midnight with hopes of reaching the summit (still another 1,000 metres above) within 10 to 12 hours. Climbers will first reach "The Balcony" at 8,400 m (27,700 ft), a small platform where they can rest and gaze at peaks to the south and east in the early dawn light. Continuing up the ridge, climbers are then faced with a series of imposing rock steps which usually forces them to the east into waist deep snow, a serious avalanche hazard. At 8,750 m (28,700 ft), a small table-sized dome of ice and snow marks the South Summit.

From the South Summit, climbers follow the knife-edge southeast ridge along what is known as the "Cornice traverse" where snow clings to intermittent rock. This is the most exposed section of the climb as a misstep to the left would send one 2,400 m (8,000 ft) down the southwest face while to the immediate right is the 3,050 m (10,000 ft) Kangshung face. At the end of this traverse is an imposing 12 m (40 ft) rock wall called the "Hillary Step" at 8,760 m (28,750 ft).

Hillary and Tenzing were the first climbers to ascend this step and they did it with primitive ice climbing equipment and without fixed ropes. Nowadays, climbers will ascend this step using fixed ropes previously set up by Sherpas. Once above the step, it is a comparatively easy climb to the top on moderately angled snow slopes - though the exposure on the ridge is extreme especially while traversing very large cornices of snow. After the Hillary Step, climbers also must traverse a very loose and rocky section that has a very large entanglement of fixed ropes that can be troublesome in bad weather. Climbers will typically spend less than a half-hour on "top of the world" as they realize the need to descend to Camp IV before darkness sets in, afternoon weather becomes a serious problem, or supplemental oxygen tanks run out.

Last edited by kantonburg; 12-19-07 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-20-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kantonburg
I just happen to catch the final episode of this last night. I'm not sure if this was the same season as what was posted here or not though. They spoke about the incident, but didn't talk about it much.
You saw the 2007 final episode (2nd season). They did discuss it a bit in the first season when it happened.