Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

An Evening with Crispin Hellion Glover... Chicago Nov 17-19

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not a shill for Mr. Glover... although I wish I was.

Anyway, I haven't been seeing much these days but this event seems like a no-brainer. Crispin Glover is presenting his new movie "What is It?" at the Music Box in Chicago this weekend.

http://www.musicboxtheatre.com/crispinglover.html

Anyone else going? I'm going to be there Saturday night. Looks like a full evening. And I think the ticket includes the midnight matinee of Werner Herzog's "Even Dwarfs Started Small" (Glover's pick) but I'm not sure on that.

It might be good, it might be bad, but it will definitely be unique.
Old 11-17-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That boy ain't right.
Old 11-17-06, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
That boy ain't right.
Understatement of the year.
Old 11-17-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Besides the Letterman things, which I've always understood to be a promotion stunt, what else has Crispin done that makes him so weird?
Old 11-18-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of my girlfriend's friends works at a theater here where it was showing, and caught Glover trying to steal from the register.
Old 11-19-06, 11:18 AM

Well, the Music Box was packed and luckily i got a seat with plenty of legroom.

Glover's Big Slide Show was a very impressive piece of performance as he narrated an hour long slide show of his "books".

The movie was interesting, 72 minutes of psychological and freudian abstraction. A lot of snails were harmed and most of the actors had down syndrome... one actor had cerebral palsy. Made for unique performances, as their conditions were not the focus of the movie.

Glover was very eloquent, if a little repetitive in the Q&A which lasted another hour. He just wore a black suit and answered questions smartly. A lot about the process of making "What is It?" which took ten years (mostly for technical issues he said). It's the first part of a trilogy. The second part is from a screenplay written by the actor with CP, who has passed away but not before acting in the second film.

All the actors with down syndrome were allowed to act in this graphic film by their guardians. Glover said that the guardians of these adult actors knew the value of art and saw that Glover was not mocking them. I agree.

He said he made this as a way of just engaging the audience with their own feelings, as there is a lot of taboo imagery and content. And he found it more lucrative to tour with film and actually engage a dialogue with the audience than selling it on DVD or looking for distribution. I guess his Big Slide Show has been popular for a while.

He struck me as a man who expresses himself through his performance or his works, but knows what he is doing. There is no doubt.

My friend stayed in line and had him sign a copy of Willard.

And he talked about his performance in Charlie's Angels(he was asked about it). How he told the director that it would be better if the character didn't talk since it was all just exposition and working with the asian fight choreographer he thought he made it into a worthwhile experience.

It was a very interesting night. Glad I went. I'm a big propenent of his views of film as expression.

And his favorite filmmakers are Herzog, Fassbinder, Bunuel and Kubrick.

And he had 3 favorite films he was in, one of them being the feature shown "What is It?", another a short film I didn't recognize, and "Rivers Edge".

Last edited by sundog; 11-19-06 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-19-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by sundog
And he had 3 favorite films he was in, one of them being the feature shown "What is It?", another a short film I didn't recognize, and "Rivers Edge".
The short is "The Orkly Kid", part of Trent Harris' "The Beaver Trilogy".
Old 11-30-07, 09:24 AM

Okay, now it is this weekend, a year later...

November 30 - December 2, Glover is presenting his Big Slide Show along with the second part of his trilogy:

"It is Fine. Everything is Fine."

I was waffling over attending this 'sequel' but caved in and bought a ticket for tonight at the Music Box. I figure 1) this will not likely be seen on DVD for a long while; 2) I doubt I would buy the DVD anyway; and 3) it will be an interesting experience and is only 74 minutes long.
Old 11-30-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be interested in hearing about the 2nd show you attend. I love when he shows up in movies since he's such and oddball.
Old 12-02-07, 09:59 PM

This second feature from Glover, co-directed with David Brothers, It is Fine! Everything is Fine., is very good.

Anything I want to say about the movie would have to include a synopsis. I'll wait to see if anyone is interested and for them to look it up online before I get too long-winded.