Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Do Seasons of 24 stand alone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Seasons of 24 stand alone?

I've just rented 24 Season 1 on DVD to see if I'd like it, and I really did. The finale in particular was amazing. TV.com tells me Season 2, 3 and 4 are comparatively a lot worse than Season 1, but Season 5 is rated very very highly. I was wondering if it's possible to skip straight to Season 5 next because each season covers a seperate day, or do I need to have seen Seasons 2, 3, and 4 to have any understanding of Season 5? My aim is to be able to watch season 6 as it airs but to go through 4 seasons by January seems a bit of a daunting task.
Old 11-14-06, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can skip around for the most part. There are loose connections between the seasons, but you certainly won't be lost.

I wouldn't say the other seasons are considerable poorer, although Season 1 is generally considered the best overall. The only one I didn't like personally was Season 4. But to answer your question, you should be able to skip straight to 5 and then pick up 6 when they show it on television.
Old 11-14-06, 01:02 AM
Banned

They all use the same repetitive tired plot devices.

Basically they all play out like a classic videogame plot. Find link A, who will tell u where B is, who will tell you where C is, who will tell you where the boss is, who will tell you where the final boss is.
Old 11-14-06, 01:10 AM

IMO, there are more than "loose connections" between seasons. If you enjoyed season one, then watch them all. The ratings I saw at tv.com are pretty high for every season, so I don't really understand why you feel inclined to skip most of them. Season four was my least favorite, but if I were you, I'd watch all of them.
Old 11-14-06, 01:27 AM
Cool New Member

I love the action packed series "24". My favorite season is five. If you watch five you will probably get into the upcoming season. If you have time I would view them all so you won't miss out. I like 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. because of Julian Sands. Season five will be out on dvd on December 5th and will include a supporting players featurette.
Old 11-14-06, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MechanicalMan
I don't really understand why you feel inclined to skip most of them.
I would really like to see them all but I don't think I'll have the time to watch nearly a hundred episodes of 24 between now and January. But thank you all for your responses, I think I'll try and find a site that summarises the plot developments of Season 2, 3, and 4 and rent Season 5 when it comes out on DVD just before Season 6 begins.

Last edited by hardercore; 11-14-06 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-14-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I had never watched a single hour of 24 until Season 5 and had no problem keeping up with the show - there are probably some minor things that I might not have gotten, but I was never lost.
Old 11-15-06, 12:07 AM

You shouldn't be "lost" if you miss some seasons, but I think people might as well watch the seasons in order if they enjoy the show. I watched only part of season one and didn't start watching the show again until season four. I liked it enough that I went back and watched the first three seasons on DVD before season five started. If nothing else, I'd recommend reading a good summary of what happened in the other seasons so you are caught up. But that's obviously not as enjoyable as watching the show. Also, I personally don't think season five is dramatically better than the earlier seasons. I thought five started strong and had some exciting moments (6:00 - 7:00 PM), but I was getting a little tired of that season by the time it ended.
Old 12-12-06, 12:20 PM
Cool New Member

That's a great idea clemente.... then you will understand what is going on.
Old 12-12-06, 02:31 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly, I didn't feel seasons 2-4 were that much worse than season 1. Season 1 falls apart in the second half anyway.

Season 2 - This has possibly my favorite moment in the show's entire run
Spoiler:
"I'm gonna need a hacksaw"
and my least favorite moment
Spoiler:
Cougar!
. It's a solid season if you fast forward past the unnecessary Kim time-filler subplot.

Season 3 - Probably the weakest overall season, this still has some great moments. There are a lot of important links in this season, as far deaths and new characters being introduced.

Season 4 - I actually think this season is a bit better than season 1 (if taken as a whole), especially in lieu of what happens in season 5. Yeah, it has its share of crap
Spoiler:
Driscoll's psycho daughter, that stupid defense lawyer, Audrey's Mr. Bean ex
but so does every season.
Old 12-12-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the most part, but there are some things you will miss out on.

BTW, 3>1>2>5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4
Old 12-12-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Quake1028
For the most part, but there are some things you will miss out on.

BTW, 3>1>2>5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4
Almost agreed

3>2>1>4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>5
Old 12-12-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Seasons 2 and 3 are AMAZING. Here's what I did. I watched S1 a long time ago. I rented 2 and 3 from the library but took 3 to work instead of 2 by mistake. So I watched 3 and then I had to go back and rewatch 1. Then I watched 2 which I finished today. Now I want to watch 3 again (which won't happen, I'm going to 4 and then 5), and here's why I recommend you watch them in order (get them free at the library):

Relationships. Scenes that I saw in 3 are now a whole lot more powerful because of season 2. I understand Jack better now because of 2 (and 1). Plot-wise, no, you don't need to see them and each season is self-contained. For the maximum viewing experience, though, watch them in order.
Old 12-12-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd say you should watch season 4 before 5 since there S4 sets up where characters are & why in season 5.
Old 12-12-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Season 2 - This has possibly my favorite moment in the show's entire run
Spoiler:
"I'm gonna need a hacksaw"
and my least favorite moment
Spoiler:
Cougar!
. It's a solid season if you fast forward past the unnecessary Kim time-filler subplot.
My and a friend agree that Kim
Spoiler:
has to die...sooner rather than later please

I don't remember that part of the season... what was going on at the time?

And my favorite part of 2:
Spoiler:
Oh, splinter (Jack takes a tree branch out of his leg)

Jack is the man I ended up buying the 2007 24 calendar and a huge poster of Jack with the caption "You don't know Jack!"
Old 12-12-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've just started watching Season 1 and yes, I also am impressed (I picked up Seasons 1 through 4 for $16 each at Target right after Thanksgiving).

When does Season 6 start? And what network / day / time? I'll be taping it so I can watch it after I finish Season 4.
Old 12-12-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would warn that a certain key reveal at the end of season 1 (that gives the season all its weight) would be spoiled if you were to watch seasons 2 and/or 3 first

give that the OP has watched season 1 before 2 or 3 I would say you are fine but warn others

Last edited by musick; 12-12-06 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-13-06, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat
I've just started watching Season 1 and yes, I also am impressed (I picked up Seasons 1 through 4 for $16 each at Target right after Thanksgiving).

When does Season 6 start? And what network / day / time? I'll be taping it so I can watch it after I finish Season 4.
Jan. 14th.(I think) There will be a two parter on that Sunday night and another two parter on Monday the 15th. So four hours in two days. Then it resumes it's regular time at 9pm on Mondays.

As far as watching them out of order, I think 1,2,3 need to be watched in order because for the most part the cast stays the same and have ties to each other. Also they resolved a LOT of what happened in the three seasons so they could start fresh in 4. Almost like a trilogy.

For example
Spoiler:
The Nina plot which is a giant cliffhanger in 1 isn't resolved until 3.

also
Spoiler:
Palmer's role is basically done with in season 3. Which all of the groundwork was began in season 1. Sure he is in 4, but it is a throw away role for the most part that season.

and on a lighter note
Spoiler:
Kim is only in the first 3 seasons. Almost a trilogy of terror with her character... or idiocy... either way.

I think 4 & 5 stand alone though and could be watched out of order. There are some minor character moments, motives and relationship building(Mike, Aaron, Tony, Michelle & Chloe) but for the most part you won't miss out on anything. The only awkward moment if you go from 1-5 would be

Spoiler:
Seeing David Palmer getting elected in 1 to getting assassinated in 5, completely missing out on his term as President.

So to sum it all up. Watch 1, 2, & 3 in order. In other words, you already watched season one, just don't watch 3 before 2. Other than that I say you can watch 4 & 5 out of order without missing much.
Old 12-13-06, 01:55 PM
Cool New Member

Yes the end of season one does give away some clues.
Old 12-13-06, 06:44 PM

As many have already said you can skip around but without seeing some of the prior seasons can cause for a loss of impact in certain areas.

Heres the thing about 24, although seasons 1 and 5 are often recognized as being the best, 24's low points are still better than majority of whats out on TV.

I would just watch 2,3,4,5 in order at your own pace and not worry about making season 6. I found watching the seasons on DVD much more rewarding than having week long breaks inbetween each episode.

Unless you have some co-workers or friends that you plan on having weekly discussions on each episode of season 6, you can always catch it on dvd next year.

I do this with a lot of tv shows I buy.
Old 12-13-06, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Watch them in order...why not, they are all strong.

Season 3 was my far my favorite though!
Old 12-13-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hardercore
I would really like to see them all but I don't think I'll have the time to watch nearly a hundred episodes of 24 between now and January.

Kids today...no initiative.
Old 12-13-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

hardercore never made a comment since his initial post day -- I wonder where he is in the "24" saga?
Old 12-13-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished Day 5: 1:00AM - 2:00AM

I like Season 1 more than Season 5 so far, but Season 5 is definately delivering on the action department. It just doesn't have that extra layer of understanding the emotions of the main character that Season 1 did better than any other.

I got through Season 2 (in which I thought the only really great episode was the midseason one where
Spoiler:
it looks as if Jack is going to risk his life to nosedive the nuke into the middle of the desert, and must say goodbye to Kim
but skipped Season 3 and 4 completely. I don't feel lost at all development-wise jumping straight into Season 5. A lot of where all the characters were in the Season 5 premiere I sort of just deduced.
Old 12-14-06, 01:16 PM
Cool New Member

Watching them in order is probably the best but people should be able to view them as they wish.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.