Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Aprox. how long before games drop in price.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-06, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a new Xbox 360 owner, there are so many games I want. i figured it is best to not get them all at once. It would be Ideal to wait for most. About how long does it take for a $60 title to become $30 or so.
Old 11-13-06, 12:39 PM
tpc

Depends on the game. Some drop within 6 months. Most take around a year to drop, it seems, and some even longer. It's not an exact science to be sure.

Except for sports games... you can almost set your watch to them plummeting about a month before the newest ones are released. They seem to usually see small drop around the 6 month, mark too. Usually just about when their sport is going out of season.
Old 11-13-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Usually, the more popular a game is and the better it is received, the slower its prices will drop. Games that drop in price quickly are ones that for the most part suck, sell poorly, or are timely (based on a movie, yearly sports entry, etc.)

I wouldn't hold my breath for Gears of War to drop in price anytime soon, for example.

My suggestion is to check out www.frys.com. They've got some fantastic deals on games right now and many you can find for $50 or less. If you've got friends who play 360, I suggest alternating titles with them: find two titles you both want, then trade them when you're done playing them. Obviously this works best with RPGs and other games where the online component isn't the main attraction.

Another option is to buy them used through our VG Exchange subforum. Most titles are $10-$20 under retail.

Last edited by The Bus; 11-13-06 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hopefully with the Wii and PS3, the competition will help lower prices of some of those $59.99 360 games that cost so much more to develop than current gen games
Old 11-13-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Usually, the more popular a game is and the better it is received, the slower its prices will drop.
But, those that are hugely successful and sell tons of copies are usually good to find cheap on the secondary markets like ebay/half on the cheap since there are so many copies out there.
Old 11-13-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What games are you waiting to drop in price? Have you checked out cheapassgamer.com for deals on games?

I have already picked up 7 360 games for around $20 or less through different deals listed at cheapassgamer.

Kameo ($15 at Compusa)
Perfect Dark Zero LE ($15 at Compusa)
PGR3 ($20 at CC)
Full Auto ($20 at Gamerush)
Burnout Revenge ($20 at Gamerush)
Far Cry Instincts ($20 at Gamerush)
The Outfit (~$20 at gogamer.com)

Kameo, PGR3, Perfect Dark Zero, and NFS MW will all be $20 at Best Buy next week. There are a bunch of Black Friday deals including the Outfit for ($10 or $20, can't remember), Amped, Condemned and Table Tennis for less than $20. I thought there was a Call of Duty 2 deal also, but maybe it was the PC version on sale this week at Best Buy that I was thinking of.

Last edited by msdmoney; 11-13-06 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

if you are talking about non-retailer stores, it really has to do with demand of the product. As demand falls, obviously the price goes down
Old 11-13-06, 03:41 PM

Yes, I have been to CAG and I know about the BF deals at best buy, just hope to get in on it.

The games i want that are relatively new are, Saints Row, Dead rising, Lego Starwars2.

All of these are actually 50 at Amazon, DR is 53.

I am going to want Indiana Jone and Star Trek, but They are not even out yet.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-13-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I was in your same boat with wanting new games for cheap. That's why Toys R Us had the wonderful Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal. Saints Row, Dead Rising and Test Drive Unlimited. Oh yeah!
Old 11-13-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shimmer35
Hopefully with the Wii and PS3, the competition will help lower prices of some of those $59.99 360 games that cost so much more to develop than current gen games
I wouldn't count on it, it looks like PS3 games are going to be $60 too. The Wii's still $50, at least though.
Old 11-14-06, 03:15 AM

Console games never seem to drop for at least a year, sometimes longer. The occasional deal will come along now and again but for the most part they always take a long time to drop. PC games on the other hand drop within a month sometimes and gogamer.com always has the 48 hour madness thing where they're ridiculously cheap. I've always wondered why it is that way on the PC and not consoles as well.
Old 11-14-06, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sanitarium
Console games never seem to drop for at least a year, sometimes longer. The occasional deal will come along now and again but for the most part they always take a long time to drop. PC games on the other hand drop within a month sometimes and gogamer.com always has the 48 hour madness thing where they're ridiculously cheap. I've always wondered why it is that way on the PC and not consoles as well.

It is probably because PC gaming is a much smaller market than console gaming. Since fewer people buy PC games, prices drop quicker.
Old 11-14-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

im trying to sell my Saints Row for 35 :/
Old 11-14-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I wouldn't count on it, it looks like PS3 games are going to be $60 too. The Wii's still $50, at least though.

That's true but with more options out there and the same amount of money for gamers to spend affects the supply and demand sometimes too.
Old 11-14-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too bad there is no Gamerush around me... i might have bitten at Far Cry Instincts for 20$

When Saints Row drops down there in price i might snag it as well - it was a fun rental.