Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Beatles in 5.1 on DVD-A 11/21. How did I miss this?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Part of me wishes they'd just re-master the albums already, but I'm kind of excited to hear this:

LOVE is a fascinating reworking of numerous classic Beatles recordings by the band’s original producer, Sir George Martin and his son Giles.

The 2 disk special includes the CD album and an audio surround sound DVD. The CD album contains 26 tracks re-worked by George and Giles Martin for the LOVE show in Las Vegas, an incredible music and visual experience created out of the collaboration between The Beatles and Cirque Du Soleil. The result is an unprecedented approach to the music.

Technical Information:
The 5.1 disc is a DVD-Audio/DVD-Video hybrid. The audio is presented in high-resolution 96/24 5.1 surround on the DVD-Audio part of the disc. The DVD-Video part carries 5.1 surround in DTS and Dolby Digital as well as a PCM stereo mix.

http://beatles.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/W...rceCode=BEAWEB

Last edited by Eddie W; 11-06-06 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-06-06, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a huge Beatles fan but I'm really interested to hear what this sounds like.
Old 11-06-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eeeeenteresting...

We need a review when this hits the street.
Old 11-06-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Didn't George Martin say that due to his hearing deterioration he had retired?

I wouldn't put much hope on this being anything but a travesty. Not that I would mind being wrong, but....
Old 11-06-06, 08:00 PM

You can preview four of the tracks at www.thebeatles.com.
Old 11-07-06, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i can't wait. been hoping for this since i saw the show in july. absolutely mind-blowing.
Old 11-07-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by WWEFan
Thanks for the link. I was definitely wondering if this would be worth picking up & judging from the four tracks to preview, I will certainly grab this.

Strawberry Fields sounds amazing. Octopus' Garden is okay but I have always disliked the song. Lady Madonna is decent. Gently Weeps was great but pretty similar to other "bare" versions that have been released except this adds strings. Since two of those tracks are weak Beatles tracks in my opinion, the best must be on the full release.

I love how they put various Beatles sounds, tunes, etc. into the songs pretty seemlessly (except the beginning of Octopus). I can tell this is going to sound great on my system just by listening to the tunes on my two crappy computer speakers. This could possibly rival Yoshimi in the use of DVD-A sound.
Old 11-07-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by porieux
Didn't George Martin say that due to his hearing deterioration he had retired?

I wouldn't put much hope on this being anything but a travesty. Not that I would mind being wrong, but....
I'm not really sure how much was mixed by George, and how much was done by Giles Martin. George did suffer a hearing loss and stepped down from producing the new tracks that were on the Beatles Anthology in the mid-90s, but he still did post production work. The mixes were great in the vegas show, so I'll be picking this up.
Old 11-07-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had this on pre-order for a while and I'm excited that the release date is getting near. I'm anxious to hear the mixes and see how many snippets of songs I can recognize that have been lovingly mixed into others.

This makes me very glad that I hung onto my DVD-A player after I bought my HD-DVD unit.

Another long awaited DVD-A treasure coming this month is David Crosby's classic first solo album mixed in 5.1 by original producer Stephen Barncard.
http://www.crosbycpr.com/news/could-only.html

Don't bury DVD-A 'cause it aint dead yet.
Old 11-19-06, 09:28 AM

I just posted this in the Las Vegas forum, because we had a thread about "Love" going on there. You will not be disappointed by the music and the sound of it. But you may not recognize a lot of the music. It is REALLY different. Not just an enhancement of their original music.

I never really liked "Because" (one of the few songs of theirs that I can say that about). But, when they started playing the cappella of "Because" I was blown away. Make sure you get the CD + DVD version of this album, because the 5.1 is going to blow you away.

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/s...?track=tothtml

Just a heads up that the Beatles "Love" will be released on CD and also on DVD Audio (5.1) this Tuesday.

This is one DVD that I will be buying, because the music (of course) was the best thing about the show.

More info:

http://www.beatles.com/newsletters/Issue_16/index.htm

The stereo CD will contain 78 minutes of music. The DVD surround sound version on DVD disc album will be a slightly extended version with 81 minutes of music.

The 5.1 disc is a DVD-Audio/DVD-Video hybrid. The audio is presented in high-resolution 96/24 5.1 surround on the DVD-Audio part of the disc. The DVD-Video part carries 5.1 surround in DTS and Dolby Digital as well as a PCM stereo mix. This DVD album is designed to be played on DVD video equipment but will carry no video component.

The LOVE CD and DVD track listing is:
1. Because
2. Get Back
3. Glass Onion
4. Eleanor Rigby
Julia (Transition)
5. I Am The Walrus
6. I Want To Hold Your Hand
7. Drive My Car/The Word/What You’re Doing
8. Gnik Nus
9. Something
Blue Jay Way (Transition)
10. Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite!/I Want You (She’s So Heavy)/Helter Skelter
11. Help!
12. Blackbird/Yesterday
13. Strawberry Fields Forever
14. Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows
15. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
16. Octopus’s Garden
17. Lady Madonna
18. Here Comes The Sun
The Inner Light (Transition)
19. Come Together/Dear Prudence
Cry Baby Cry (Transition)
20. Revolution
21. Back In The U.S.S.R.
22. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
23. A Day In The Life
24. Hey Jude
25. Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
26. All You Need Is Love
Chris
Old 11-19-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
If I rather liked "The Gray Album" by Dangermouse (Jay Z spliced with Beatles), how would I like this?

(And of course am a huge Beatles fan)
Old 11-19-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
What they still release things in this format.....god damn record companies...if only they'd get off their collective asses.
Old 11-20-06, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
If I rather liked "The Gray Album" by Dangermouse (Jay Z spliced with Beatles), how would I like this?

(And of course am a huge Beatles fan)
i think that's sort of like asking, "if i like apples, would i like steak?"..

get it. and get it in 5.1. i was completely blown away by how amazing all the songs sounded when i saw the show in july.

i can't wait til tomorrow!
Old 11-20-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Will DVD-A play in 5.1 on any DVD player?
Old 11-20-06, 08:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lopper
Will DVD-A play in 5.1 on any DVD player?
If you saw the message above it said:

The 5.1 disc is a DVD-Audio/DVD-Video hybrid. The audio is presented in high-resolution 96/24 5.1 surround on the DVD-Audio part of the disc. The DVD-Video part carries 5.1 surround in DTS and Dolby Digital as well as a PCM stereo mix. This DVD album is designed to be played on DVD video equipment but will carry no video component.

In short, a DVD video player will play back the standard digital audio 5.1 surround tracks in Dolby Digital and DTS formats. To get the best sound quality you need a player that plays back true DVD Audio format.
Old 11-20-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by WWEFan
You can listen to the whole thing there now.
Old 11-20-06, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by mkdevo
i think that's sort of like asking, "if i like apples, would i like steak?"..

get it. and get it in 5.1. i was completely blown away by how amazing all the songs sounded when i saw the show in july.

i can't wait til tomorrow!
Yeah, I have NEVER heard any songs by any performer that sounded as good as they did for "Love". The show itself was pretty good, but if it were not for the "mashing up" of a lot of their songs and the incredible fidelity of them, the visual show would have been average at best..

Chris
Old 11-20-06, 06:52 PM
Banned

Any truth to the rumor that Best Buy has bonus tracks?
Old 11-20-06, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Any truth to the rumor that Best Buy has bonus tracks?
I did not see any mention of that in their ad, plus I haven't read anything about bonus tracks. The DVD has about 4 more minutes of audio, but everyone is selling that.

It seems that the best buy for the CD / DVD 2 pack is Best Buy at $14.99, but I could be wrong.

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

Chris
Old 11-20-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Well, I got it, and I like it... OK. The sound is absolutely fantastic, without a doubt, but the "mashups" really aren't doing that much for me. Nothing too novel and more of a gimmick than anything else I think. Here's a full review I wrote for a web site I write for:

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/11/20/225938.php

Anyway, worth picking up if you're a Beatle die-hard without a doubt, but scale your expectations back a little. I was expecting something more creative myself.
Old 11-21-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

drive my car, the word, what you're doing is AMAZING

why was help included??

lady madonna/hey bulldog is great

this is not necessary, but i love the beatles so much, that i will still eat this up
Old 11-21-06, 01:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I am listening to the album on my 4 GB iPod nano (in seamless track mode, of course!) as I type this and I really do enjoy this album. It's pretty good considering all the sounds came from original master tapes done at the EMI Abbey Road studios.

Last edited by RayChuang; 11-21-06 at 01:47 PM. Reason: correct grammar
Old 11-21-06, 10:20 PM

i bought this this morning, i love it. i haven't played anything else all day.
Old 11-22-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Here's the pretty much lackluster review by allmusic.com ( http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...pddyl4nxpnb~T1 ):
Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine
If boiled down to a simple synopsis, the Beatles' LOVE sounds radical: assisted by his father, the legendary Beatles producer George, Giles Martin has assembled a remix album where familiar Fab Four tunes aren't just refurbished, they're given the mash-up treatment, meaning different versions of different songs are pasted together to create a new track. Ever since the turn of the century, mash-ups were in vogue in the underground, as such cut-n-paste jobs as Freelance Hellraiser's "Stroke of Genius" — which paired up the Strokes' "Last Night" with Christina Aguilera's "Genie in a Bottle" — circulated on the net, but no major group issued their own mash-up mastermix until LOVE in November 2006. Put in those terms, it seems like LOVE is a grand experiment, a piece of art for art's sake, but that's hardly the case. Its genesis lies with the Beatles agreeing to collaborate with performance dance troupe Cirque du Soleil on a project that evolved into the Las Vegas stage show LOVE, an extravaganza that cost well over 100 million dollars and was designed to generate revenue far exceeding that. During pre-production, all involved realized that the original Beatles tapes needed to be remastered in order to sound impressive by modern standards when pumped through the huge new theater — the theater made just with this dance revue in mind — and since they needed to be tweaked, they might as well use the opportunity to do something different with the familiar music, too: to remix and re-imagine it, to make LOVE be something unique to both the Beatles and Cirque du Soleil. Keep in mind the Cirque du Soleil portion of the equation: George and Giles Martin may have been given free reign to recontextualize the Beatles' catalog, but given that this was for a project that cost hundreds of millions of dollars this wasn't quite the second coming of The Grey Album, where Danger Mouse surreptitiously mashed up The White Album with Jay-Z's The Black Album. This isn't an art project and it isn't underground, either: it's a big, splashy commercial endeavor, one that needs to surprise millions of Beatles fans without alienating them, since the mission is to please fans whether they're hearing this in the theater or at home. And so, the curious LOVE, a purported re-imagining of the most familiar catalog in pop music, winds up being less interesting or surprising than its description would suggest. Neither an embarrassment or a revelation, LOVE is at first mildly odd but its novelty soon recedes, revealing that these are the same songs that know you by heart, only with louder drums and occasionally with a few parts in different places. Often, what's presented here isn't far afield from the original recording: strip "Because" down to its vocals and it still sounds very much like the "Because" on Abbey Road — and that arrangement is actually one of the more drastic here. Whether they're songs as spare and stark as "Eleanor Rigby" or "Yesterday," as trippy as "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" or as basic as "Get Back," the songs remain the same, as do most of the arrangements, right down to the laughter and sound effects sprinkled throughout "I Am the Walrus." There's only one cut that has the thrilling unpredictability of a genuine mash-up and that's a cut that blends together "Drive My Car," "The Word" and "What You're Doing," punctuated with horns from "Savoy Truffle"; a chorus from one song flows into the verse from another, as keyboards and percussion from all three, plus more, come together to make something that's giddy, inventive and fresh. But that's the exception to the rule, since most of this delivers juxtapositions that seem obvious based on the concept of the project itself: it doesn't take a great leap of imagination to set the melody of "Within You Without You" to the backing track of "Tomorrow Never Knows," since both derive from the same psychedelic era and share similar themes.

Throughout LOVE, songs are augmented by samples from roughly the same phase in the Beatles career, so "Strawberry Fields Forever" is enhanced by "Penny Lane," "Hello Goodbye," "Piggies" and "In My Life," but not "There's a Place," "It Won't Be Long," or "I Feel Fine," selections that could have been truly startling. It also would have been startling if those snippets of "Penny Lane" and "Hello Goodbye" were threaded within "Strawberry Fields," in a fashion similar to "Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing," but they're added to the end of the song, a move that's typical of the Martins' work here. With a few exceptions scattered throughout the record, all the mash-ups are saved for the very end of the song, which has the effect of preserving the feel of the original song while drawing attention to the showiest parts of the Martins' new mixes, giving the illusion that they've changed things around more than they actually have. Not that the Martins simply add things to the original recordings; that may be the bulk of their work here, but they do subtly change things on occasion. Most notably, they structure "Strawberry Fields" as a progression from the original demo to the finished single version (a move that is, admittedly, borrowed from Anthology 2) and they've used an alternate demo take of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," to which George Martin has written a sympathetic new string arrangement. It also has to be said that the craft behind LOVE is impeccable: it flows as elegantly as the second side of Abbey Road, which is an achievement of no small measure. But there lies the rub: even if LOVE elicits a certain admiration for how Giles and George have crafted their mash-ups, it elicits a greater admiration for the original productions and arrangements, which display far more imagination and audacity than the mixes here. Take a song as seemingly straightforward as "Lady Madonna," a Fats Domino tribute so good the man himself recorded it. This mix highlights weird flourishes like the carnival-esque vocal harmonies of the bridge — things that were so densely interwoven into the original single mix that they didn't stand out — but by isolating them here and inserting them at the front of the song, the Martins lessen the dramatic impact of these harmonies, just like how the gut-level force of McCartney's heavy, heavy bass here is tamed by how it's buried in the mix. The original has an arrangement that builds where this gets to the good part immediately, then stays there, a problem that plagues all of LOVE.

Here, the arrangements have everything pushed up toward the front, creating a Wall of Sound upon which certain individual parts or samples can stand out in how they contrast to the rest. This means that LOVE can indeed sound good — particularly in a 5.1 surround mix as elements swirl between the front and back speakers, but these are all window-dressing on songs that retain all their identifiable elements from the original recordings. And that's the frustrating thing about this entire project: far from being a bold reinvention, a Beatles album for the 21st century, the Martins didn't go far enough in their mash-ups, creating new music out of old, turning it into something mind-blowing. But when there's a multi-multi-million dollar production at stake, creating something truly mind-blowing is not really the goal: offering the familiar dressed up as something new is, and that's what LOVE delivers with big-budget style and flair, and more than a touch of Vegas gaudiness. It's an extravaganza, bright and colorful and relentless in its quest to entertain but beneath all the bluster, LOVE isn't much more than nostalgia masquerading as something new.
Still buying it though.
Old 11-22-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I was planning on buying it but after listening to it online several times I didn't think it was that great so I'm going to pass.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.