The Simpsons -- "Treehouse of Horror XVII" -- 11/05/06

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-06, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
The Simpsons -- "Treehouse of Horror XVII" -- 11/05/06

"Treehouse of Horror XVII"
Spoiler:
Homer turns into a rampaging blob after eating green goo; Bart brings to life Golem, a creature from Jewish folklore; a fake radio-broadcast convinces Springfield residents that there is an alien invasion.

Cast: Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, Pamela Hayden, Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer, Tress MacNeille, Russi Taylor, Dr. Phil McGraw, Richard Lewis, Fran Drescher.
Producer(s): James L. Brooks, Matt Groening, Al Jean.

Original Airdate: November 5, 2006.
Old 11-05-06, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
first two were just about average but the last one was really great. what was the song at the end? it sounds familiar.
Old 11-05-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I really didn't care for the first segment but the last two were great especially Fran Drescher as the female Jewish Golem.
Old 11-05-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoyed the first two, but the last one just wasn't very funny to me. I got immediately that it was Orson Welles and pretty much knew what was gonna happen from there. I used to adore the Treehouse of Horror episodes, but I think the well is pretty much dry now for decent Halloween stories. Nothing can top Treehouse Of Horror V, IMO.
Old 11-05-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I loved the "He tastes like Jeffrey Tambor" line.
Old 11-05-06, 10:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
The Golem part was pretty good, the other 2 were ok.
Old 11-05-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the first story was the best and the other 2 were OK (the Golem segment was the weakest IMO). And I also enjoyed the Jeffrey Tambor line.

I didn't watch tonight's broadcast (I watched a preview DVD of the episode a couple weeks ago) - what was the last line of the final segment? On the disc I watched, there was a line about Iraq but I heard the producers were thinking of taking it out. Did that make it on-air?
Old 11-05-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott27
I didn't watch tonight's broadcast (I watched a preview DVD of the episode a couple weeks ago) - what was the last line of the final segment? On the disc I watched, there was a line about Iraq but I heard the producers were thinking of taking it out. Did that make it on-air?
Last line is kind of fuzzy but I think the aliens make some comments about liberation and winning the hearts and minds of the people. Is that what you got?
Old 11-05-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
The Golem segment was pretty good but ended badly. The other two segments were pointless. In fact, all the endings were bad. Like SNL bad.
Old 11-05-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
Last line is kind of fuzzy but I think the aliens make some comments about liberation and winning the hearts and minds of the people. Is that what you got?
No, the last line on the version I saw (after the liberation stuff) was something like "This is what Iraq will look like" when Kang and Kodos were flying over Springfield with all the fires burning. I think the producers realized that would've been pushing the politcal "satire" a little too far.
Old 11-05-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the first story was the best and the other 2 were OK (the Golem segment was the weakest IMO). And I also enjoyed the Jeffrey Tambor line.

Nope.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/TV_Sh...5/2242286.html

They cut out the line.
Old 11-05-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, the last line on the version I saw (after the liberation stuff) was something like "This is what Iraq will look like" when Kang and Kodos were flying over Springfield with all the fires burning. I think the producers realized that would've been pushing the politcal "satire" a little too far.
Did it still have the song at the end?

I'd say the cut line was probably pushing it and seem kind of awkward but what we got on the air tonight was great and enough to get its point across.
Old 11-05-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did it still have the song at the end?
I think so. I'd have to go back to the disc to confirm but I think I remember there being a song at the end.

And I agree that the scene works better without that last line. That was pushing it from satire to downright political statement, which the Simpsons is not about.
Old 11-06-06, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

what was the song at the end?
tv.com says it's "I Don't Want To Set The World on Fire" by Eddy Arnold but I looked it up, think it's by the Inkspots.
Old 11-06-06, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
"I Don't Want to Set the Wolrd on Fire" was also sampled on a Megadeth song on their third album "So Far So Good So What." That's where some folks under the age of 90 -- myself included -- probably heard it.
Old 11-06-06, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess that explains why they held on that last shot for such a long time. I was expecting a last second quip or something and then credits.
Old 11-06-06, 09:43 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"If I can keep Arby's down, I can keep this down..."

Some entertaining moments but not one of the segments was a classic. I loved the look of the last segment, but it fell into that trap of being too on-the-nose at the end with its parallels, even without that Iraq line. But I did like the "weapons of mass disintegration" line.
Old 11-06-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Even without it spoken aloud the message was glaringly obvious in that last scene. The fact that they even thought about putting in that line indicates they must think their viewers intelligence hovers around the point of functionally retarded.

None of the segments were very good tonight. The best part was the Crypt Keeper opening, and Moe was the best part of that.
Old 11-06-06, 02:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Meh! A few chuckles but nothing to write home about.
Old 11-06-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
tv.com says it's "I Don't Want To Set The World on Fire" by Eddy Arnold but I looked it up, think it's by the Inkspots.
It was definitely the Inkspots version. They used it in Chanel #5 perfume commercial many years ago.
Old 11-06-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
The Arby's line was funny.
"Nosebud" was clever.
Old 11-06-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Some entertaining moments but not one of the segments was a classic. I loved the look of the last segment, but it fell into that trap of being too on-the-nose at the end with its parallels, even without that Iraq line. But I did like the "weapons of mass disintegration" line.
Yep, completely agree with what you say. I wouldn't go so far as to say that any of the segments were bad, but none of them felt really noteworthy. And I also agree that the Iraq line that was cut would've been going too far. I thought the way it went on the air was pretty funny but I think the line would've ruined the integrity of the whole bit.

And can people just STOP using Dr. Phil on their shows?

Maybe if all these shows would quit giving him shout-outs or cameos, he would finally just go away!
Old 11-07-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As with most Simpsons episodes over the last six or seven years, this episode had it's moments. I enjoyed the first and third segment best, but the golem story was OK too.
Old 11-07-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
"If I can keep Arby's down, I can keep this down..."
Best line of the show.
Old 11-07-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Here's the edited version with the Iraq comment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZcXTdRGTz0

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.