Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I don't get it, but I like 1 vs 100

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-06, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't get it, but I like 1 vs 100

I've never liked game shows in the past, and I don't like any of the Deal or No Deal new game shows...but for some reason I like 1 vs 100.

Who else likes it and why?

I don't know why I like it, but I do. Perhaps its because its somewhat original, despite the fact no show is truly original anymore. The whole trying to eliminate 100 people over a series of questions is kind of cool, as opposed to eliminating one other person or a team of 2,3, or 4 people.

Maybe its watching Bob Saget and thinking of his totally different persona as a standup comic.

Maybe its yelling at the tv because of stupid people in the 100 that can't answer the simplest questions. I mean, on one episode someone thought the Canadian flag maple leaf was gold and her only response to Saget was 'Don't tell my best friend, she's Canadian.' Obviously didn't realize she is on national tv
Old 11-04-06, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like it. The people on the show are smart and take the $$ when they get a significant amount, unlike the greedy as hell Deal or No Deal contestants. And there is some brain power in play as well, not just dumb luck.
Old 11-04-06, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
The jokers that were contestants last night weren't too smart.
Old 11-04-06, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the show. The format is different, and some of the contestants make for great tv. I also love that the show isn't shoved down our throat by NBC like that other game show they have on - plus the fact that it's only on once a week is good, too, so I won't get burned out watching it. Plus, it's got Saget.
Old 11-04-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd like an R-rated version of this show where Saget could curse his ass off on the show.
Old 11-04-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wish they would speed it up and get to more questions - but maybe they would have to pay more money that way. Wayyy better than deal or no deal.

I wanted to smack that woman on last night that ended the show - how annoying was she?
Old 11-04-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I caught a snippet of the show last night for the first time. How funny that Schwag, the voice over guy for Monster Garage/House was one of the Mob.
Old 11-04-06, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by orangerory
I wish they would speed it up and get to more questions - but maybe they would have to pay more money that way. Wayyy better than deal or no deal.

I wanted to smack that woman on last night that ended the show - how annoying was she?
She was super-annoying. I like the show too, but they do need to speed it up a tad. I feel stupid though, because I only know about half the answers.
Old 11-04-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The stupid teacher that didn't know the difference between Backgammon, Checkers and Chess cracked me up especially when she explained her choice for Backgammon as the one game in which she believed the pieces moved diagonally. She said it was because of the triangles on the board.
Old 11-04-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So you are one of the ones we can blame for TV going down the toilet?
The more that people watch this crap the more they make it.
Old 11-04-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
So you are one of the ones we can blame for TV going down the toilet?
The more that people watch this crap the more they make it.
Going down the toilet? Like this is some new thing ... game shows have a been a part of tv for as long as its been around -- they're not going anywhere.

Like mentioned, I like the concept of this show. It's something different. Agreed the pace is too slow. Less hemming and hawing with the players and more gameplay. And maybe some tweaks to encourage players to go higher up the money ladder. Still, way better than Deal or no Deal which is one of the most insipid game shows I've even seen (and this coming from someone that likes game shows and spend way too much time watching reruns on GSN).
Old 11-05-06, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's OK. The people playing safe and leaving with certain amounts of money will get old fast, though. I wish they had a three strikes you're out kind of a rule, and you don't lose everything if you get one question wrong. Like if you get one question wrong, 20% of your current winnings go to the mob and you get to keep playing. The second question you get wrong 50% of your winnings go to the mob and you get to keep playing. The third question you get wrong you are out of the game.

Just something different. I am not too much of a fan of these game shows where if you get one question wrong you are out of there.
Old 11-05-06, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And first president of the United States is............................................................................(A) George Washington.
Old 11-05-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
It's OK. The people playing safe and leaving with certain amounts of money will get old fast, though. I wish they had a three strikes you're out kind of a rule, and you don't lose everything if you get one question wrong. Like if you get one question wrong, 20% of your current winnings go to the mob and you get to keep playing. The second question you get wrong 50% of your winnings go to the mob and you get to keep playing. The third question you get wrong you are out of the game.

Just something different. I am not too much of a fan of these game shows where if you get one question wrong you are out of there.
That's a decent idea. Or maybe they could institute levels, like you can't quit until you reach $50 thousand, and if you continue you don't have an opportunity to quit again until $200 thousand. Most people will go until they reach $100 thousand or until they use both helps.
Old 12-13-06, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If anyone is still watching, they've tweaked the rules a bit.

The first level is three questions. The contestant gets $1000 for every mob member knocked out each question, but he or she cannot quit until after those 3 questions.

Next level is $2000 per mob, and the contestant must go through 2 questions. After that, it's one question at a time.

There are also 3 helps now.
1) Pick an answer, and it's revealed how many mob members picked that answer and ask one to explain.
2) One answer is eliminated, and two mob members explain how they came to their answers, one is right and one is wrong.
NEW 3) Trust the Mob - The contestant automatically picks the answer that most of the mob members picked.
Old 12-13-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is probably my favorite game show to emerge in recent years. Because of this show, I have yet another reason to look forward to Friday nights. I hope it stays on for a while in primetime and eventually goes the route of Millionaire.
Old 12-14-06, 07:31 AM
Banned

It's going to be really difficult to win the million on this show. It's not that hard to get to 25 or so, but once you get it down to less than 10, it's going to be hard to knock off mob members.

What happens if the person gets the 10,000 question right and there's still mob members left? Does the person just walk away with their winnings or can they keep going to try to knock off the mob?
Old 12-14-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by matta
What happens if the person gets the 10,000 question right and there's still mob members left? Does the person just walk away with their winnings or can they keep going to try to knock off the mob?
I believe once they get to the top money level, they keep playing (with each question worth that amount) until: they take the money, knock out all of the mob members, or the contestant gets a question wrong.

Last edited by scott27; 12-14-06 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-18-06, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I watched one episode, and was immediately tired of how Saget would yell "1 vs #". I realize that's the point of the show, but it got old pretty fast.

The mob is pretty funny though. 80% of a group of cheerleaders got booted on a cooking question. One of the guys that missed the same question thought that gasoline was what you used to put out a grease fire.
Old 12-18-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even Brad Rutter, the guy who decimated Ken Jennings in the Jeopardy super tournament, was eliminated from the mob. He may know art & literature & science & politics & history, but he doesn't know jack about Orthodox Jewish rap/reggae stars.
Old 01-05-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Anybody catch this tonight? The first contestant may be the most annoying person I have ever scene on a game show.

BTW, what was up with all of the idiots on the bottles of beer question. It's simple math.
Old 01-05-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Anybody catch this tonight? The first contestant may be the most annoying person I have ever seen on a game show.
You mean the bitch who couldn't multiply 15 times 6 and constantly made that godawful high pitch squealing sound? There was a great shot of a hot chick in the mob covering her ears for dear life when annoying bitch started squealing. I wanted to jump through the television and strangulate her when she didn't know who Conan's band leader was.
Old 01-06-07, 12:37 PM

BTW, what was up with all of the idiots on the bottles of beer question. It's simple math.
Aw, give them a break, they're not beer drinkers.

"Tommy Tae Bo" & "Harry Yoga"
Old 01-06-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was bad enough that one person couldn't do math because she didn't drink, but for others to use the same excuse was just ridiculous.

You'd think they could have found some better looking drag queens, though.
Old 01-07-07, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the show. I've seen worse. I just hate game shows that stall and where the hosts repeat themselves so much that they get in about 2 questions per show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.