Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Getting a 360...what games to start with?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-06, 01:11 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Decided to get a 360...what games should I start with?

I'm open to most anything, though sports games are really wearing on me lately, so I don't want any of those. I just kind of got interested in RPGs in the last year or so, never played any before that.

Didn't have an original Xbox, so I suppose anything good that was exclusive to that system is fair game.

I figure I might as well start with older (read: cheaper) games, so at the top of my list currently are:

-Elder Scrolls IV
-T.C.'s G.R.A.W.
-Burnout Revenge

Basically I'm just going by ratings from IGN in choosing those.

So what else do you recommend?
Old 11-01-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Older + Cheaper = Condemened & Kameo

Somewhat cheap = Tomb Raider: Legend

Recent and still full price = Dead Rising
Old 11-01-06, 01:20 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you dont like the typical RPG or FPS games (oblivion and COD if you do) then Condemned is the best Ive played in a long time.
Old 11-01-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phantasy Star Universe is by FAR my favorite game for the system, and this is coming from a person who despises RPGs...

Chrome Hounds is amazing online as well. Off-line, not so much
Old 11-01-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Saint's Row is a good one unless you don't like the GTA series (is that even possible?).
Old 11-01-06, 01:32 PM

I thought it was fun for a while, but I wasn't impressed with the online play, and I like the people that play that game even less :/
Old 11-01-06, 01:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Saint's Row is a good one unless you don't like the GTA series (is that even possible?).
I read it's almost too much like GTA though...no? I do really like the GTA games.
Old 11-01-06, 01:36 PM
Banned

I second Condemned and Dead Rising. Condemned is the absolute scariest game ever made IMO. There were several times throughout that game that the atmosphere just gets so spooky and tense that I had to quit playing and continue it later on. That has never happened to me in a horror game before.

I also recommend Hitman: Blood Money if you like stealth type games. Call of Duty 2 is highly praised, but I don't like WWII games, so I never played it.

Since you never played the original Xbox, definitely give Ninja Gaiden a try. It is one of the best action games ever made period.

Also, the Knights of the Old Republic games were excellent. I have heard they have some issues running on the 360, but I am not sure how bad it is. Jade Empire is also a good RPG made by the same company, Bioware.

The Splinter Cell games aren't exclusive to the Xbox, but the Xbox versions feature vastly better graphics as the games were actually designed for the Xbox hardware and the PS2 ports had to be toned down a lot. Be warned though, do not get the latest Splinter Cell game (Double Agent) for the 360. It is heavily butchered (ie missing half the content literally) from the Xbox version. The Xbox Double Agent isn't backward compatible yet though.
Old 11-01-06, 01:37 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
Phantasy Star Universe is by FAR my favorite game for the system, and this is coming from a person who despises RPGs...
Why hasn't IGN reviewed this game? It's not like there's an over-abundance of games coming out for it.
Old 11-01-06, 01:40 PM

I can't say i've checked IGN for quite some time, but that is due to me being blocked from that site while at work, and secondly, when I'm home, I'm playing PSU

Kgrogers is absolutely correct about Ninja Gaiden. It was the single reason I purchased an xbox. The combat system is similar to that of soul caliber, which means its VERY in depth. The graphics are some of the BEST for the system. I haven't played it online, but I can imagine it wouldn't let you down
Old 11-01-06, 01:53 PM
Suspended

How do some of these good regular Xbox games look on the 360?
Old 11-01-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
I read it's almost too much like GTA though...no? I do really like the GTA games.
It is EXACTLY like GTA, only with great graphics. Too much like GTA can't be a bad thing since GTA is greatness. Since you do like GTA, you won't go wrong with Saint's Row.
Old 11-01-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Actually, Saints Row took what is annoying about GTA and eliminated it. Much easier melee/shooting controls among other things. All rolled up in nice HD graphics.

It does seem to miss out on some of that quirkiness and humor that is unique to the GTA series.
Old 11-01-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Among my faves:

COD 2
Hitman: Blood Money
Dead Rising
Condemned
Old 11-01-06, 02:40 PM
Suspended

I figure I might as well start with older (read: cheaper) games, so at the top of my list currently are:

-Elder Scrolls IV
-T.C.'s G.R.A.W.
-Burnout Revenge
Are these all good bets?
Old 11-01-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Burnout is great. Can't speak for the other two.
Old 11-01-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I you like the Ghost Recon series, then you'll love GRAW. It is by far my favorite 360 game and a good showcase for the power of the 360.

In my humble opinion, anyway.
Old 11-01-06, 02:51 PM
Banned

Well I was at Best Buy last night and they had a great XBox 360 display with a big screen tv and chairs set up and they were playing NBA 2K7 and I was absolutely blown away with the graphics! I honestly thought I was watching a real game they were that good! If you are a sports gamer I would say get this one!
Old 11-01-06, 02:53 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Burnout is pretty problematic on LIVE

the single player is good
Old 11-01-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are these all good bets?
Yes... Elder Scrolls IV is LONG LONG game - LOT LOT LOT of stuffs to do, great if you're not in any hurry to finish the game.
Old 11-01-06, 03:17 PM

Fight Night Rd 3 is pretty amazing, in terms of realistic controls (if you use the analogs to punch) and magnifiscent graphics. Finding an online match is very easy as well
Old 11-01-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Stuff I've enjoyed so far on the system:

-Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Simply put, the game is epic.)
-GRAW (Single Player is a tad short, solid online modes.)
-Burnout Revenge (Enjoyed the hell out of it.)
-Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Flawed but insanely fun game. For some reason, this specific edition reminds me of Flashback from the good ol' days.)
-Dead Rising (Especially great if you get your music streaming, nothing like kicking back, blasting some tunes, and mowing down (literally) zombies.)
-Saint's Row (More fun/focused than the GTA titles, though depends on taste.)
-Fight Night Round 3 (If you like Fight Night games, this is the new criterion.)
-Condemned (If you can get it cheap. It's a terrific, atmospheric game. Some dislike the repetition, I was too involved to care.)
-Call of Duty 2 (The single player campaign is a little disjoint, but it's also a whole hell of a lot of fun. You may want to wait for CoD3 and just rent CoD2 some weekend, but I wouldn't know as I haven't played CoD3 yet... CoD2 had terrific multiplayer.)
-Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved (Worth all 500 pennies.)

Last edited by RichC2; 11-01-06 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-01-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oblivion - I don't really like RPGs and I had a blast with this game. As others have said, its a LONG game that will last you a long time if you have the patience for it.

GRAW - I had a great time with this game, both onilne and off. I played it on Live a lot during its first few months, but not lately, so I'm not sure how easy it is to find a multiplayer game. I think I read that its down to $39.99 now at bestbuy.com

Burnout Revenge - Online multiplayer was fun, but so difficult to get into a game. I got a lot of play time out of the World Tour. It took me quite awhile to get Perfect ratings on every level. But man it was frustrating.

COD2 is a great game for its single player, but with COD3 coming out next week, I'm not sure how many people will still be playing COD2 on Live. Then again, you might be able to find a great deal on COD2 used (or even new) after COD3 comes out.

There's also the Xbox Live Arcade, and the best thing about it is you can download a demo for every arcade game. I personally don't have Geometry Wars, but everyone I know that has it loves it. Zuma is another great game.
Old 11-01-06, 04:10 PM
DAC

Next week get GOW and COD3!
Old 11-01-06, 04:22 PM
Suspended

Thanks guys. Looked at BB.com and a lot of the better, older games are discounted.

GRAW - $40
Burnout - $30
COD2 - $40
Kameo - $30
Hitman - $40
Dead or Alive - $40

I should note, I'm not a huge fan of playing games online. Maybe it's just the games I've tried to play online have had too many kids playing like idiots, but it's just never done much for me.

Any thoughts on Kameo or DoA4?

I'd like a CoD game, just not sure if I should get 2 or wait for 3 and pay $20 more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.