Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hulk Hogan Ultimate DVD - Censorship?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hulk Hogan Ultimate DVD - Censorship?

Censorship or product defect? I recently purchased the Hulk Hogan Ultimate Anthology DVD set. At the end of the match between Hogan and Sgt. Slaughter on disc 2 there is a period of silence. The picture is still intact, but there's no sound. Were the comments by Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby "The Brain" Heenan censored, or is the DVD defective? I returned my copy of the DVD to Wal-Mart only to find the same period of silence at the same spot. One of the reviews at Amazon also mentions the same period of silence. Anyone know if the comments were censored?

MM
Old 10-30-06, 03:25 PM

I don't know, but it was on mine too. I figure it wasn't censorship, just a production error. The commentators were Gorilla and Bobby Heenan, no problems like that with Jesse Ventura, so. Plus Gorilla's dead.
Old 10-30-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It could be them saying "WWF," which is now edited out of all WWE productions I believe.
Old 10-30-06, 03:46 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
It could be them saying "WWF," which is now edited out of all WWE productions I believe.
Speaking of which, I saw an old commercial recently that said something like "You wouldn't call the World Wrestling... to hire a receptionist". Later on in the spot they did say "the world OF wrestling, so maybe that's what they were saying at the beginning, but it sounded to me like it was originally "the World Wrestling Federation" and they had to cut out the last word.
Old 10-30-06, 04:43 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it the Wrestlemania match? If so, I wonder if the same silent part appears on the Wrestlemania Anthology set.
Old 10-30-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it for about two minutes instead of a a really quick moment? If so, I've heard that there were problems with that part of the DVD in production.
Old 10-30-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
It's a production error, when the sound comes back, it comes back to a point before the sound dies, plays through the pinfall again, then catches up to current time.

I just compared it to my Wrestlemania VII DVD, where the sound plays without a hitch. There's nothing in there that would need to be censored, just seems like a weird audio glitch.
Old 10-30-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Since a DVD released by a private organization cannot possibly be censored, it must be a production error.
Old 10-31-06, 10:42 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Since a DVD released by a private organization cannot possibly be censored, it must be a production error.
You're forgetting the "intentional edit" option here.
Old 10-31-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DRG
You're forgetting the "intentional edit" option here.
No, I'm not.

As per the OP's first line - "Censorship or product defect?". Since those are the only two choices, we are left with product defect.

Perhaps it is the OP that is forgetting that option. I merely addressed his inquiry.
Old 10-31-06, 01:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

No, I'm not.

As per the OP's first line - "Censorship or product defect?". Since those are the only two choices, we are left with product defect.

Perhaps it is the OP that is forgetting that option. I merely addressed his inquiry.
A government does not have to be involved for there to be censorship. Censorship means, the act or practice of censoring. A private organization can censor itself.
Old 10-31-06, 01:07 PM

It's not like it's the first time Heenan has been edited off a WM. Go check the very end of WM 8 when Warrior returns and they go off the air. Heenan tells everyone to "run for your life" and it is not on the DVD version. Small edit, but for someone who watched that many times it's to be noted. So, edits can happen here in the US too.
Old 10-31-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
A government does not have to be involved for there to be censorship. Censorship means, the act or practice of censoring. A private organization can censor itself.
We aren't going through this again. You're wrong. Censorship REQUIRES government action. If you want to call it something else when a private organization does it, fine. But it's not censorship.
Old 10-31-06, 01:12 PM

We aren't going through this again. You're wrong. Censorship REQUIRES government action. If you want to call it something else when a private organization does it, fine. But it's not censorship.
No, it doesn't. Censorship is the act or practice of censoring. Censoring is something done by a censor, who is a person authorized to examine books, films, or other material and to remove or suppress what is considered morally, politically, or otherwise objectionable. A private organization CAN censor it's own material for those reasons.

I'm not looking to get in some internet battle with you, so you don't have to get on with "We aren't going through this again"... I'm just posting the definitions of the words.
Old 10-31-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
No, it doesn't. Censorship is the act or practice of censoring. Censoring is something done by a censor, who is a person authorized to examine books, films, or other material and to remove or suppress what is considered morally, politically, or otherwise objectionable. A private organization CAN censor it's own material for those reasons.

I'm not looking to get in some internet battle with you, so you don't have to get on with "We aren't going through this again"... I'm just posting the definitions of the words.
No, you are posting your own definition of the words. The accepted definition of the words involves the action of government agents. W

We don't have to battle this out my friend. Countless others have done it for us.
Old 10-31-06, 01:24 PM

No, you are posting your own definition of the words. The accepted definition of the words involves the action of government agents. W

We don't have to battle this out my friend. Countless others have done it for us.
No, I'm using these definitions:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/censorship

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/censoring

... please don't accuse me of making things up. Censorship does not require the action of government agents. Historically it has been used in mainly that context, yes. That doesn't that the word does not apply to things beyond that context.