Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

2007 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-30-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from Billboard.com.....

R.E.M., Van Halen, the Stooges and Patti Smith are among the nine acts on the ballot for the 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, to be held March 12 at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel. Also on the ballot are the Dave Clark Five, Chic, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Joe Tex and the Ronettes.

Five artists will be chosen for the final list of inductees, to be announced in January. To be eligible for induction, the 2007 class had to release their first single no later than 1981.

Black Sabbath, the Sex Pistols, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blondie, Miles Davis and record moguls Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss were enshrined in the Hall earlier this year.
Old 10-30-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I'd say REM, VH, Stooges and Patti are in. I could see DC5 or Ronettes as the fifth.
Old 10-30-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The Dave Clark 5 is the very definition of a second or third tier band that should be nowhere close to being in a rock and roll hall of fame.
Old 10-30-06, 02:51 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
My reactions:

R.E.M. - as Dick Cheney would put it, "it's a no brainer".
Van Halen - no fucking way. They represent everything I hate in rock music.
The Stooges - clearly, absolutely, YES.
Patti Smith - YES YES YES
Dave Clark Five - No
Chic - maybe, not my thing, but why not?
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - clearly they should be in
Joe Tex - don't know enough about him, to be honest
The Ronettes - why aren't they in already???
Old 10-30-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

R.E.M., those bastards. If it wasn't for them I might not have spent thousands of dollars on music as they pried open my mind to what was out there. Off with their heads! BTW, it was really cool seeing them perform a couple of weeks ago at the Georgia Rock n Roll Hall of Fame (think that's what it's called) with Bill on drums. Sure it's available on You Boob.

wendersfan made me laugh. If Van Halen was judged on 1986 to present they belong nowhere near the Hall of Fame. Going by the Roth years I can see how they might make it. Eddie really did help define a sound + they were quite good back then.

Okay with all of the others 'cept for Dave Clark like you guys mention.
Old 10-30-06, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So THAT'S why VH have been courting Dave back to the fold! To perform at the ceremony!
Old 10-30-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Van Halen
Old 10-30-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wendersfan
My reactions:

Old 10-30-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
Come on guys...You might not like VH, but to deny them into the Rock Hall is silly.

And lets not go there with all the folks that "aren't in". Most of them should be as well.
Old 10-30-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
My reactions:

R.E.M. - as Dick Cheney would put it, "it's a no brainer".
The Stooges - clearly, absolutely, YES.
Patti Smith - YES YES YES
Dave Clark Five - No
Chic - maybe, not my thing, but why not?
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - clearly they should be in
Joe Tex - don't know enough about him, to be honest
The Ronettes - why aren't they in already???
VH - no way? You are being extremely silly now.
Chic - Bernie (RIP) and Nile deserve it.
Old 10-30-06, 08:00 PM
Banned

R.E.M, The Stooges (HELL YEAH!), Patti Smith, and Grandmaster Flash should definitely be in.

Van Halen. No way.
Old 10-30-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Van Halen is a no-brainer.
Old 10-30-06, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
How many bands have had a bigger impact in the last 30 years than Van Halen? Not a lot. Eddie revolutionized guitar playing, and VH was hugely successful and influenced an entire generation of bands.

They have to go in.

But, once again, no KISS - 80 million albums sold, a 30+ year career, hundreds of bands influenced and inspired (including Garth Brooks, Lenny Kravitz, Skid Row, Motley Crue, Pantera, etc, etc, etc), not to mention the fact that they revolutionized the live concert spectacle.

Yet again proving what a joke the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame truly is - the R&R Hall of Sham, because the whole thing's an elitist sham.

Imagine a football hall of fame without Terry Bradshaw or Tony Dorsett - some of the most successful at their game - just because the hall of fame voters didn't "like" them.

That's what the R&R HOF is without KISS (and Rush, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, etc, etc, etc).

And what about Iron Maiden? One of the most successful and influential bands of the 80's, and a band who are still selling out concerts today and charting albums in the top 10! They should be in as well if you're going to have true hall of "fame."
Old 10-30-06, 09:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by B5Erik
How many bands have had a bigger impact in the last 30 years than Van Halen? Not a lot. Eddie revolutionized guitar playing, and VH was hugely successful and influenced an entire generation of bands.

They have to go in.

But, once again, no KISS - 80 million albums sold, a 30+ year career, hundreds of bands influenced and inspired (including Garth Brooks, Lenny Kravitz, Skid Row, Motley Crue, Pantera, etc, etc, etc), not to mention the fact that they revolutionized the live concert spectacle.
e - just because the hall of fame voters didn't "like" them.
Yet again proving what a joke the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame truly is - the R&R Hall of Sham, because the whole thing's an elitist sham.

Imagine a football hall of fame without Terry Bradshaw or Tony Dorsett - some of the most successful at their gam

That's what the R&R HOF is without KISS (and Rush, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, etc, etc, etc).

And what about Iron Maiden? One of the most successful and influential bands of the 80's, and a band who are still selling out concerts today and charting albums in the top 10! They should be in as well if you're going to have true hall of "fame."

Good bands count in that post: 0.
Old 10-30-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Once again you show that you have no idea WTF you are talking about.

Last edited by cdollaz; 10-30-06 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-30-06, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Once again you show that you have no idea WTF you are talking about.

Why aren't they in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
Old 10-30-06, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Arpeggi, don't be a jerk.

Just because YOU don't like a band doesn't make them "bad." It just means that YOU don't like them. Your taste is no better or worse than mine.

And that is the crux of the problem with the Rock and Roll Hall of SHAM. It's based on the tastes of the small number of voters, not on any actual criteria.

A hall of FAME should be based on success (as measured by album sales, concert ticket sales, and influence on other bands).

I would prefer long term success, but I can see exceptions for bands like Cream who were just so damned good that they have to go in despite a 3 year career!

KISS, for example, has more Gold albums than ANY other American artist. They've been the most popular band in America (Gallup poll 1977), and been a top touring act in 4 decades! They had the #1 tour of 1996. I listed just a few bands (there are literally dozens more who have albums out) in my post above who were influenced by KISS.

So by objective standards such as those they are more qualified than half of the acts IN the Hall of Fame. Love them or hate them, they should be in - and they should have gone in before the Sex Pistols for cryin' out loud!

All the bands I mentioned deserve to be in when using OBJECTIVE standards & criteria.

I'm not going to badmouth any bands that you like (even if I think they suck) because my tastes aren't any more valid than yours (no less, either).
Old 10-31-06, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Have KISS ever been "nominated"?
Old 10-31-06, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Once again Rush is left off the list
one day they will make it
Old 10-31-06, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All VH had to do is get nominated. They're obviously a lock. Having said that, I'd just as soon we see no more renditions of the band in the years to come.
Old 10-31-06, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Have KISS ever been "nominated"?
No.
Old 10-31-06, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by B5Erik

They have to go in.

Imagine a football hall of fame without Terry Bradshaw or Tony Dorsett - some of the most successful at their game - just because the hall of fame voters didn't "like" them.

Couldn't agree with you more with everything you said.
Old 10-31-06, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
According to you. Maybe in 20 years, you'll get your dream and Britney Spears will get nominated.

Those bands may not be "good" according to you, but you can't deny their influence, which (should) plays a huge roll in who gets nominated.

I don't think those bands are "good" either. They're amazing. (well, VH is only amazing with DLR; w/ Sammy they're a joke... but they did do pretty damn well with Sammy in the band. And he makes amazing tequila.).
Old 10-31-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No
Alice Cooper
Kiss
Deep Purple
Rush

proves the RnR Hall of fame is a steaming pile of shit
Old 10-31-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Hmmm... I know some members of the Go Go's personally and they were pretty sure they would be getting in this year (their first of eligibility); especially with Blondie getting in last year. I imagine they're pretty bummed about now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.