Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Masters of Horror - "The Damned Thing" - 10/27/06

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Masters of Horror - "The Damned Thing" - 10/27/06

Unless I missed it, I don't think anyone made a thread for this. Anyone else watch? I thought it was a really strong kick-start to the new season. No-nonsense, deadly serious, intense, nasty ... in other words, what most of last season wasn't. I thought there was a really good palpable sense of dread throughout this one. Well-acted, written, and directed (Hooper toned down his Tony Scott-isms from last season's "Dance of the Dead"). I liked the abrupt ending and the vague nature of the monster, though I can see how some won't care for that. The only big misstep IMO is an unfortunately CGI monster reveal that, like CGI monster reveals, merely comes across as lame (and far less frightening than what was suggested in the imagination of the audience up that point). And apologies to Ted Raimi fans ... but I just don't buy him in dramatic/scary roles. His face is just naturally silly looking and makes me laugh ... good for Joxer in "Xena", bad for "Masters of Horror". All in all, a good start IMO. Though next week looks to be a return to silly/campy, which last season tells us is most likely a bad thing.
Old 10-28-06, 06:41 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Save for the few scenes of gore (especially the hammer incident) I thought it was awful.
Old 10-30-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I agree with most of what brainee said. I thought it started out well, the special effects were good and the story was fairly unique, but it seemed to end abruptly and there wasn't a clear explanation given. The cgi monster (which did look lame) seemed contrived to wrap things up within the time limit. Overall, I'd have to give it a B-.
Old 10-30-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Kinda boring.
But there was some great gore (by Greg Nicotero) and a Marissa Coughlan nipple slip so it wasn't all bad
Old 10-30-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I hated it. It seemed pretty poorly written to me; bad dialogue, clichéd, and a very muddled narrative. I hope it gets better or "Dexter" remains my only reason for having premium channels.
Old 10-30-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
A step-up from Hooper's last outing, but still nothing really special. I did like Ted Raimi and the gore, though.

The preview for Landis' next episode looks fun.