Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

50 Movie Pack Collections 12.97-14.97 at Amazon

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 10-26-06, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Horror, SciFi, Chilling, Mystery are 12.97 each. Western, Suspense,Martial arts, Historic, Gunslingers, Family, Drive-In, Dark Crimes, War, are 14.97. I don't know if this is a special sale, but they're priced lower than DDD or anwhere else I've seen them. I've been seeing and passing up these collections forever, just figuring the quality had to be horrible, but I might give one or two a look at 12.97.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/lis...454790-3744754

Does anyone know if the movies in these collections display the logo of the vendor on the screen during the movies? I can take crappy quality with cheap movies, but I cannot take a stupid company logo popping up on the screen every 10 minutes to remind me who I bought the movie from (like Platinum Disk loves to do). I asked this question in the DVD Talk forum and got no reply. Anyone? Thanks!

Last edited by hilts; 10-26-06 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added link
Old 10-26-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=481215
Old 10-26-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hilts
Does anyone know if the movies in these collections display the logo of the vendor on the screen during the movies? I can take crappy quality with cheap movies, but I cannot take a stupid company logo popping up on the screen every 10 minutes to remind me who I bought the movie from (like Platinum Disk loves to do). I asked this question in the DVD Talk forum and got no reply. Anyone? Thanks!
I have not seen any logos during the movies on the horror set.
Old 10-26-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The older sets have no logo. The newer ones (from 2005 onward) do, which shows up every 10 mins or so. It definitely stands out -- especially on B&W films, because it's a color logo. Not subtle/opaque.

Annoying, but I consider it an acceptable trade-off. When I buy 50 flicks for $12, I'm not too picky about quality levels. "Watchable" is good enough.
Old 10-26-06, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by marty888

Thanks for the link, Marty. I'm a fathead! I did seaches on 'pack', 'collection', '50' (which didn't work at all), even searched reviews, but never once thought to even look at the review forum...

Thanks for the tips, fryinpan1 and bboisvert, now I have a pretty good idea which ones to stay away from. I have a really hard time ignoring those stupid bugs - even on bad movies.
Old 10-26-06, 01:16 PM

I have the War set, which is great if you like WWII documentaries. I haven't even watched any of the movies yet, but it has a lot of documentaries on it, many narrated by Frank Capra. Easily worth it at this price.
Old 10-26-06, 01:55 PM

... Dark Crimes, ... 14.97.
This one has quite a few decent titles (with the logo popping up, of course). However, a number of the movies seem to freeze and become unplayable. (Philips 642, but I'm not sure it matters.) I haven't watched anywhere near all of them, but have noticed this. I think someone on an Amazon review mentioned the same thing. I haven't contacted the company. Has anyone else had this problem? Solutions?
Old 10-26-06, 04:38 PM

No bug collector, I

No bugs for the SciFi Collection, just a lot of low production value, poor picture quality, rarely seen releases. Still, I've enjoyed the set quite a bit. It's perfect for late, late night viewing when it doesn't matter if you fall asleep. There are a few lesser known low budget films, that if not gems, are at least worth watching once. And $12.97 beats the $18.46 I paid at a DDD sale a couple years ago.

The box that has me interested is Nightmare Worlds 50 Movie Pack Collection. It seems to pick up where SciFi Collection left off. The quality of the movies might be higher. The price certainly is at $26.99. Since it has a release date of August 15, 2006, I'm guessing it is also bug-infested. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 10-26-06, 05:38 PM

Thanks mac!

I was going to order 4 of these from the DDD sale, but 3 aren't in-stock, and anyway they're cheaper at Amazon, thanks for the heads up, cheers

edit: hmmmm, the 2 I most wanted, terror & nightmare worlds are $20+ grrrrr! back to DDD!!

Last edited by digitalG; 10-26-06 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-27-06, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
Are the bugs actually on the video, or are they put on through subtitles? I have a Platinum Disc company disc that has a logo put on via subtitles; it comes on even with subtitles set to off but I copied the disc and had it take out the subtitles. I should send the original back to the company with a fuck you note.
Old 10-27-06, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
I have the War set, which is great if you like WWII documentaries. I haven't even watched any of the movies yet, but it has a lot of documentaries on it, many narrated by Frank Capra. Easily worth it at this price.
War set sounds good, especially the documentaries. I'll be ordering that (unless someone reports it as buggy). Thanks!
Old 11-14-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 881 Likes on 711 Posts
At $13.08 now with DDD's 20% off sale, they are still a good deal *but* I will not pay even $0 for bug-infested *shit*!!

Can anyone PLEASE confirm which ones of these are bug-free? I'm hoping beyond all that the NIGHTMARE WORLDS set does not contain bugs.

Or, if it does, are they encoded within the MPEG2 stream or via the subtile stream (which *can* be turned off if the DVD is copied and re-burned with the subtitle stream eliminated, as Alan Smithee correctly points out).

Also, are the 12 DVD packs at least provided on RSDL DVD-9s or Dual-sided DVD-10 DVDs? Can't imagine them being 12 single-sided dvd-5s.

Last edited by zyzzle; 11-14-06 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-14-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I recently received the 50-pack Mystery Classics - no bugs in sight. Each of the 12 discs is two-sided (standard for all these 50 packs) with two movies per side on 11 of them, three movies per side on one of them. I've watched 5 of the movies so far, and only one of them had a bad transfer.

One of the things I like about this collection in particular: all the movies are pre-1953, and therefore are all in their original OAR - no pan-and-scan needed.
Old 11-15-06, 07:48 AM

I bought four 50 movie packs couple of weeks ago- mystery, suspence, dark times and scifi. I have only seen few movies in mystery and suspence packs. They have less than vhs quality, 4:3 full frame format, few excellent movies with decent plots. Mystery pack is all b/w movies except one. They are good for the price. Just don't expect too much. Not for audiophile/videophile/skeptic. I haven't seen logo on any movies while watching mystery and suspence packs. Looking at the locations in these movies (e.g. old new york) shows how much the world has changed. Smoking is rampant in these movies. Women are regularly called as doll, girl, kid.

Last edited by bohemian1; 11-15-06 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-15-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bohemian1
.... 4:3 full frame format ..... Mystery pack is all b/w movies except one.
Uh, that's the way they (in the Mystery pack) were filmed.
Old 11-15-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
Uh, that's the way they (in the Mystery pack) were filmed.
I didn't see where he implied otherwise.
Old 11-15-06, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I didn't see where he implied otherwise.

Well, it's the way I read it, since the info about 4:3 and b/w were sandwiched in with critical comments:

"They have less than vhs quality, 4:3 full frame format, few excellent movies with decent plots. Mystery pack is all b/w movies except one."

If I misunderstood, my apologies. I would have offered that these are all OAR, and none have been colorized.
Old 11-15-06, 01:36 PM

marty888

Words never change - they can't change - but every time you say/read them, it seems different because you're different - you feel different things. - James Cole (modified)

Sometimes, people like me just don't convey them correctly.

Last edited by bohemian1; 11-15-06 at 01:43 PM.