Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Total Recall & Reservoir Dogs 15th

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-26-06, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone bought the new Total Recall THX Optimized version and the new Reservoir Dogs 15th edition? I want to know if the picture looks any better than the previous releases.

Thanks
Old 10-26-06, 09:06 AM

Reservoir Dogs: The picture has been significantly improved, all the audio is intact but some extras were dropped from the last release and a little bit added instead. You can see more in this thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....reservoir+dogs

Concerning the new Total Recall THX optimized: it seems at a lot of places this is hard to find as the stock is very low apparently. i also couldn't find any reviews on the web yet for it.

Last edited by Gonvik; 10-26-06 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-26-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm interested in Total Recall as well, especially if the Picture Quality is better. Although i don't know how i can part with my Mars tin!
Old 10-26-06, 07:09 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the TOTAL RECALL: THX Optimum Resolution DVD en route from DVDEmpire...I'll report my impressions when it arrives (I also own the Mars tin version for comparison and contrast).
Old 10-31-06, 10:17 AM

I found a copy of it at a Circuit City. I bought the only one they had and also bought the THX Optimized version of King of New York.

For some reason they have already been discontinued even though it came out last Tuesday. Before I found it at Circuit City I tried ordering it from DDD, DVDPlanet, and Lasersedge and they all said no longer available.

Anyway I noticed a huge difference in picture quality comaprable to the better Superbit transfers Columbia used to do. (Not sure why they don't do Superbit anymore). If you can find it it is worth getting since it is the best availble transfer of Total Recall except for the BluRay I'm sure.
Old 10-31-06, 05:45 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Sweet! I'm hoping mine arrives tomorrow from DVDEmpire.
Old 11-02-06, 07:35 PM
Banned

Well, the disc has arrived and I am tremendously disappointed. The print used is the same dirty, uneven print used for all prior DVD releases, and the THX Optimum bullshit Resolution enhancement has provided only the most minimal improvement to the clarity of the image; it's still light years away from that crisp, 3-D quality we know the film could/should/deserves to look like. The sound option has been upgraded from DD 5.1 to 6.1 EX, so maybe that would be worth it for some, but as a video upgrade, this represents only the most fractional step up from what's come before. Sorry to so blatantly disagree with VanDammage, but this release is a major disappointment; for whatever it's worth, there is an insert inside that promises further THX O.R. releases, like STARGATE: Extended Cut and JACOB'S LADDER, which look like ass currently, so I'll probably give those another try (like the idiot I am)...
Old 11-02-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the review. I didn't expect much, as I would have assumed significant improvements would have been touted far more then this under the radar release.
Old 11-03-06, 09:39 AM

That sucks, Filmmaker. I was seriously thinking about trying to find this on my lunch break today. Thanks for the heads up.