DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Don't Smoke PSA's Coming to DVD

Old 10-25-06, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the imdb.com:

The Weinstein Co. will become the first studio to add anti-smoking messages to DVDs of movies in which people smoke, beginning with Clerks II, to be released in December. Company founders Bob and Harvey Weinstein were responding to appeals from 41 states, Puerto Rico, Washington D.C. and two U.S. territories, which sent anti-smoking ads to 13 studios, asking that they be included in DVD releases. In a statement, Harvey Weinstein said, "As a former smoker, I feel like it's my responsibility to do everything I can to educate young people about the dangers of smoking."
http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-10-25/

Just what we need. More useless shit on the DVD. Thanks Weinsteins!

Last edited by dx23; 10-25-06 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-25-06, 10:42 PM
Banned

From Home Media Retailing:

Weinsteins Bring Anti-Smoking Message to DVD
Author: JOHN LATCHEM
[email protected]
Posted: October 24, 2006
Email this Story to Friend

The Weinstein Company’s upcoming DVD release of Clerks II will include an anti-smoking ad from the American Legacy Foundation.

Maryland Attorney General J. Joseph Curran in September urged movie studios to use ads from the Foundation’s “truth” campaign to discourage teen smoking, in an effort to counter the image of smoking in movies.

Foundation president and CEO Cheryl Healton cited research indicating teens are influenced by smoking in the movies, saying putting the “truth” ads on the DVD should counter any negative effects.

The Weinsteins are the first studio to include the PSAs on their DVDs.

Clerks II is due Dec. 5 from Genius Products, which is 70% owned by The Weinstein Co.

Separately, Weinstein Co. founders Bob and Harvey Weinstein hosted a Manhattan party Oct. 23 for Wal-Mart CEO Lee Scott. The dinner party at Rockefeller Center’s Rainbow Room included a private concert by The Eagles.

The Weinsteins praised Scott as a great business partner for the entertainment industry and a great role model for environmental issues.
http://www.homemediaretailing.com/in...=2&newsid=9837
Old 10-25-06, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was some discussion about the PSAs here.
Old 10-26-06, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As a 50+ years old, life long, non-smoker (I self-learned at a very early age that smoking was bad), I have to say that I am going to be absolutely fit to be tied, if I have to sit through one of these things before being able to watch a DVD I purchase.

When is this nonsense going to stop?

What's next? A warning label (like those on cigarette packages) on the covers of DVDs that have characters who smoke.

"Warning! This motion picture contains scenes of people smoking. The Surgeon General of the United States has determined that watching scenes of people smoking may entice viewers to smoke. Government mental health studies also indicate that secondhand viewing may entice viewers to smoke."

If this happens, please, somebody shoot me.
Old 10-26-06, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

First, its and R-rated movie. Why the fuck do they need a PSA for "kids" who are watching the movie.

Second, I am kind of suprised that Kevin Smith is going for this. His DVD is going ot be tied to this PSA thing forever since his is the first.

Third, are there PSAs for other bad things too? This movie takes place in a fast food joint...is there going to be a PSA telling fatasses everywhere not to eat this shit anymore?

Boy am I grumpy today.
Old 10-26-06, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Third, are there PSAs for other bad things too? This movie takes place in a fast food joint...is there going to be a PSA telling fatasses everywhere not to eat this shit anymore?
Hilarious, but on the mark. We are becoming so PC it's pathetic.
Old 10-26-06, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I need a PSA for bad movies. A warning before a crappy flick would save me a lot of time.

Ugh. I'll buy the Region 2 of Clerks 2 just to show my displeasure.

Last edited by Lemdog; 10-26-06 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-26-06, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, we just can't waste money on stupid shit fast enough. I realize the tobacco companies have to pay for these things, but that money would be much better spent in another way. These anti drug and anti smoking PSAs are so poorly and stupidly done that they actually make you want to side with drugs and cigarettes.

I don't smoke and don't want to, but I don't need the government wasting DVD space to tell me. Everyone knows the dangers, but thankfully we still have a little bit of freedom in this country for people to decide for themselves.
Old 10-26-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Annoying shit. Let the parents teach their kids, instead of a DVD.
Old 10-26-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd be curious to see if this lands on the HD DVD of Clerks II. If they start filling up discs with this crap (cutting into the bandwidth for HD picture), I'll be pretty pissed.

Oh, and:
Old 10-26-06, 10:36 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Man, we just can't waste money on stupid shit fast enough. I realize the tobacco companies have to pay for these things, but that money would be much better spent in another way. These anti drug and anti smoking PSAs are so poorly and stupidly done that they actually make you want to side with drugs and cigarettes.

I don't smoke and don't want to, but I don't need the government wasting DVD space to tell me. Everyone knows the dangers, but thankfully we still have a little bit of freedom in this country for people to decide for themselves.
You are right on the money. More specifically, we the voters are indirectly responsible for this silliness. Ballot initiatives in nearly every state were passed by voters that forced tobacco tax and tobacco lawsuit settlement money be spent on anti-smoking awareness. So states have millions of dollars that is earmarked for no other use but these stupid PSA's and other bullshit. Everytime the tax on tobacco is raised or a huge settlement with a tobacco company happens, everybody cheers, but they don't realize that this is what that money will be spent on.
Old 10-26-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do we really need more crap on our DVD's? Shit, I don't even like those Anti-Piracy ones that you are forced to watch on some DVD's.

"Smoking is bad." Well no shit Sherlock, I don't need a PSA to tell me that.

I was under the impression that peer pressure was more likely to lead to kids smoking than watching, say, "Ghostbusters".
Old 10-26-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Everyone is pissed but how many are going to vote with their wallets? Not many, I imagine.
Old 10-26-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I could care less about Smoking ads since I've discovered this wonderful tool of MENU, FF or Chapter Advance. One of those skips past Smoking ads, trailers, even FBI warnings so I've never lost sleep over them.
Old 10-26-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
You are right on the money. More specifically, we the voters are indirectly responsible for this silliness. Ballot initiatives in nearly every state were passed by voters that forced tobacco tax and tobacco lawsuit settlement money be spent on anti-smoking awareness. So states have millions of dollars that is earmarked for no other use but these stupid PSA's and other bullshit. Everytime the tax on tobacco is raised or a huge settlement with a tobacco company happens, everybody cheers, but they don't realize that this is what that money will be spent on.
Some people, myself included, don't agree that anti-smoking awareness is 'silliness'. I'm cheering this decision (and will be fast-forwarding over the PSA's, just like you all can).

As for bboisvert's wasted bandwidth concern... show me more than a handful of DVD's that are so maxed out for space that they don't have 100M or so left over for this.
Old 10-26-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
As for bboisvert's wasted bandwidth concern... show me more than a handful of DVD's that are so maxed out for space that they don't have 100M or so left over for this.
I referred specifically to the HD DVD release. Some of which are pretty maxed out for space, after adding HD feature, audio options, and extras.

I'm sure that something this small doesn't put it over the edge, but if such a thing causes them to rethink adding something to the disc and/or lowering the bitrate... well, I hope you can understand the concern.
Old 10-26-06, 04:39 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by Lemdog
I need a PSA for bad movies. A warning before a crappy flick would save me a lot of time.
Right on, brother! I'll try to help you out, though. Clerks 2 has Jason Mewes in it. Just fair warning.
Old 10-27-06, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
I'll illegally copy the PSA and sell it, while also smoking and stealing a car and handbag.
Old 10-27-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Some people, myself included, don't agree that anti-smoking awareness is 'silliness'. I'm cheering this decision (and will be fast-forwarding over the PSA's, just like you all can).

I dont think anti-smoking awareness is silly either. I just think there is a time and place for it. An R-rated DVD isnt the time or place.

Going by this newfound need to educate the public, I would like to see the following PSAs included as well....

Fast food is bad for you
- Please please give me 30 seconds of some scientist standing there holding a pound of fat. Scare all the fatties out of ever eating that crap again.

Pre-marital/Safe sex
- 30 seconds on how not covering your willy can make your life silly - the ins and outs of unexpected pregnancy.

Beastiality
- I'll take a few minutes, not 30 seconds on how sheep fucking isnt good and the dangers incolved in fucking a donkey. They kick you know. Or maybe how deepthroating a donkey can cause choking.
Old 10-27-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-27-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nobody said that anti-smoking awareness is silliness. The suggestion (which I agree with wholeheartedly) is that a brief "The More You Know" thing at the beginning of a movie is not going to accomplish anything except making the people who passed the law feel like they're doing so much to stop smoking.

And, incidentally, what happens when they realize that everybody fast forwards through it and they lock the remotes out? Then will you still be cheering the decision? It doesn't affect me, because I almost always put the DVD I'm going to watch in while I'm still watching TV, let it get loaded up to the menu before I even flip over to it. But it's annoying, and a waste of space.

I'll never forget the Conan O'brien anti-smoking PSAs back from when the tobacco companies first had to pay for them. "Be like Hitler: don't smoke."
Old 10-27-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I'll never forget the Conan O'brien anti-smoking PSAs back from when the tobacco companies first had to pay for them. "Be like Hitler: don't smoke."
Hey, Hitler was a vegetarian too. Let's get PETA on the phone.

SoSpacey, don't forget to include a spot about the dangers of dancing on a roof. Some kid is going to try to imitate that and get hurt.
Old 10-27-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, this would have been a concern if it had come BEFORE the rest of the forced trailer crap we're all subjected to now. Really is it that big of a deal now? We're just going to be skipping past it one way or the other like the rest of the garbage anyway.
Old 10-27-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Just wait-soon they'll be inserting it via branching directly after a smoker appears in each scene. Fuckers.
Old 10-27-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
This is not really that big of a deal, yet for some reason it really pisses me off.

Maybe it's the fact that this anti-smoking money could be spent on so much more worthwhile things, or maybe it's the fact that I, as a non-smoker will be paying my own money for the opportunity to be lectured about the ills of smoking. Yeah, the second one gets me more.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.