Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Liev Schreiber joins the cast of CSI

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-25-06, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CBS reports that Tony Award winning actor Liev Schreiber joins the cast of "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" in his first appearance in a broadcast television series, playing the recurring role of a seasoned CSI who has established a strong reputation in various police departments across the country before joining the veteran team at the Las Vegas Crime Lab. He will first appear in the series' twelfth episode, to be broadcast in January 2007 on the CBS Television Network.

"I'm a huge Liev Schreiber fan. On stage or in film, I think he's one of the finest actors of his generation," says Carol Mendelsohn, executive producer of "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation." "We first sat down with Liev earlier this summer to discuss the possibility of him appearing as a recurring character on CSI. We knew it was a long shot, he really doesn't do television. But he was patient and I think amused, as we promised that we'd create a character for him that he couldn't refuse to play. Excitingly for us, he collaborated in this process. And we've got a wonderful, complex character as a result. Everyone at CSI -- writers, cast, crew -- is honored to have him on the show and is looking forward to working with him."

"After meeting the people who run CSI, it immediately becomes apparent why it has consistently been one of the top shows on television. I am a fan, how could I say no?" says Schreiber.

Schreiber won the Tony Award for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play for his work as Richard Roma in the 2005 Broadway revival of "GlenGarry Glen Ross." In the summer of 2006, he starred as Macbeth at the Delacorte Theater in New York City's Central Park. Schreiber's many feature film credits include The Omen, The Manchurian Candidate, The Sum of All Fears, Spring Forward, Kate and Leopold, The Hurricane, Hamlet, Ransom, A Walk on the Moon, Big Night, Party Girl, The Daytrippers, Walking and Talking, all three "Scream" movies, and the upcoming film The Painted Veil.

Schreiber made his directorial debut in 2005 with the movie Everything is Illuminated. Schreiber's television credits include the original television movie "RKO 281," in which he portrayed Orson Welles, "Lackawana Blues," "Spinning Borris," "Buffalo Girls," "People V" and "The Sunshine Boys." Schreiber has served as narrator for many documentaries on PBS, as well as for HBO Sports. His upcoming projects include the feature film Love in the Time of Cholera and the Broadway production of "Talk Radio."
Old 10-25-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I smell spin-off.
Old 10-25-06, 02:35 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Peterson took time off for something so his character will be replacing Grissom for a few episodes.
Old 10-25-06, 02:44 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
I think they are done with spin-off's

Schrieber is good, I've liked him in his film roles.
Old 10-25-06, 02:51 PM

He was rumored to be in contention for the role of Two Face in the next Batman movie, which starts to film in late January. I wonder if there would be a conflict.
Old 10-25-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
^ Well, they COULD make it work, but I doubt that he got the role. Rumor has it that the role has been cast so perhaps he finally signed on for this after not getting the Harvey Dent role...

Also, for a long time I've thought Petersen would leave the show, so maybe he'll be gone after this season. If so, Schreiber would be a suitable replacement, IMO.
Old 10-25-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Liev is pretty awesome and a hoot to watch. I'm looking forward to this.
Old 10-25-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Chip718
He was rumored to be in contention for the role of Two Face in the next Batman movie, which starts to film in late January. I wonder if there would be a conflict.
I believe that has long since been dismissed. I thought Ryan Phillipe was cast as two face? It's been a while since I checked on that one.

Liev is a superb actor and will make a great addition to CSI. Unfortunately, he brings more testosterone, we need some more female CSIs.

Like ER, CSI has been on an upswing for me this season, so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 10-25-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
Wow. Very cool.
Old 10-25-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I believe that has long since been dismissed. I thought Ryan Phillipe was cast as two face? It's been a while since I checked on that one.
No, he's only rumored right now and I hope it stays that way...
Old 10-25-06, 03:50 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Good news - I think he'll be a nice addition.
Old 10-25-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe Schreiber's rumored fiancee Naomi Watts will make an appearance? I'd certainly tune in.
Old 10-25-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great actor, but I don't seem him being on the small screen for very long, especially given his apparent love of Broadway.
Old 10-25-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Liev Probably Has One Of The Best Voices In Tv. I Know He's The Voice Of Hbo Sports And He Does Awesome Work As A Documentary Narrator.