Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

360 Died - This happen for anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is different from all the other issues I've seen.

Was playing Lego Star Wars, and the system just shut off...and now it won't come back on at all. Game is still stuck inside the system, and I've tried unplugging/hooking everything back up...nothing.
Old 10-20-06, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
Nope. You are the first person whose 360 has ever died.

Anyway, I have never heard of that problem either. It sounds like your 360 isn't getting electrical power anymore. Every problem I have heard of, the 360 still gets power and the red lights come on after booting up. Is your electric socket still working? Try plugging something else into it and see if it works, or plug your 360 into another socket. Maybe the power brick died. Is the yellow standby light still on? If none of that works, well then I have no idea other than using the magical 1-800-4myxbox number.
Old 10-20-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Nope. You are the first person whose 360 has ever died.

Anyway, I have never heard of that problem either. It sounds like your 360 isn't getting electrical power anymore. Every problem I have heard of, the 360 still gets power and the red lights come on after booting up. Is your electric socket still working? Try plugging something else into it and see if it works, or plug your 360 into another socket. Maybe the power brick died. Is the yellow standby light still on? If none of that works, well then I have no idea other than using the magical 1-800-4myxbox number.
On the phone with them.

EDIT: Socket is working, and yellow light is still on.

And I'd meant has anyone else ever had this specific problem...I'm aware of all the 360 issues.

Last edited by argh923; 10-20-06 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-20-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They said something's wrong with the power supply, and gave me all the information to ship it. Only thing is, they're apparently not sending out boxes for you to ship them in anymore...you have to pay for shipping, and ship in your own box. Kinda sucks.
Old 10-20-06, 06:42 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe a bad power supply. I have only heard of the common red ring of lights problem, which comes with overheating.
Old 10-20-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

did you try tapping it will a hammer? I heard that works.
Old 10-20-06, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
They said something's wrong with the power supply, and gave me all the information to ship it. Only thing is, they're apparently not sending out boxes for you to ship them in anymore...you have to pay for shipping, and ship in your own box. Kinda sucks.
Looks like they must be a getting a ton back if they are starting to do that.
Old 10-20-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just shipped it out tonight via two-day shipping...it'll arrive on Tuesday.

Once the 360 arrives there, how long does the repair/shipping back generally take? I'm hopefully optomistic that I'll get it back by next weekend, but somehow doubt it.
Old 10-22-06, 02:43 AM

weird. I called them 9 days ago and they sent me a box and label and everything within 3 days. Mine is headed back to me on tuesday. That overheating issue isnt always the cause of the system dying. My system was out in the open with plenty of ventilation and I rarely play it maybe 8 hours a week max and I still got the 3 red lights .
Old 10-22-06, 02:44 AM

They dont repair it. They usually swap it out with a refurb. The day they get yours back a refurb is shipped the next day and you get an email with the tracking #. Can anyone else confirm that MS isnt sending out boxes anymore?
Old 10-22-06, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's great news, if they ship a refurb out the day they get your system...that means I'll get mine shipped on Wednesday, and probably have it back by the weekend. I hope you're right about that.

As far as the box thing goes, who knows? The CSR could've been stupid - she did, after all, ask me to check if the auto-off feature was turned on on the Dashboard...after I'd explained at the beginning of the call that the system wouldn't power on. Granted, she was reading from their script, but still.

And yeah, mine was the power supply...I had it on a shelf by itself on my entertainment center, which has an open front and back, and was about a foot away from the wall, so it had plenty of ventiliation as well. Truthfully, I'm glad it happened now - I'd gotten the three rings once before, and have had quite a few freezing problems over the past month or so, so better for it to die now and get it repaired for free than to have to pay for it in a couple of months.
Old 10-22-06, 10:19 AM

To the original poster:

I had a similar thing happen to me back at the end of February with my launch 360. The only difference was I hadn't put a game into it yet so no game was stuck inside.
MS also refused to do anything for me as I was a few days out of warranty, luckily I was working at an EB when I bought it so I used their warranty to exchange it (on a side note the 2nd system was dead out of the box, and MS refused to honor the warranty on it because I had used the EB warranty to get it, and I was actually told by Josh [the MS rep on the phone] to just "take it back where you bought it" right before he hung up on me).