Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Down in the Valley (Edward Norton)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't find an existing thread about this. Anyone else seen it? I loved it. Thought it was a wonderfully haunting character drama with beautiful cinematography, a captivating soundtrack and superb performances from the cast.
Old 10-19-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I give it 6/10. The actors were superb, and I can't wait to see where Evan Rachel Wood's career goes from here. However, after a key event happened, the movie just fell apart for me.
Old 10-19-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think Evan Rachel Wood was wonderful. However, I loathed Edward Norton's character so much that I have no desire to see Norton in another film for a while.
Old 10-20-06, 06:57 AM

movie sounds interesting. what's it about?
Old 10-20-06, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by OutRun2
movie sounds interesting. what's it about?
It's set in the San Fernando Valley. Harlan (Edward Norton) is a drifter and ex-rancher in his 30s who begins a relationship with 18 year old Tobe (Evan Rachel Wood) whose father, Wade (David Morse) is the sheriff. Wade is convinced that Harlan is not all he claims to be, much to the frustration of Tobe and her brother Lonnie (Rory Culkin). One of the beauties of the film is that we know as much about Harlan as any of the other characters do, so we are trying to see what we make of him at the same time as they are.
Old 11-14-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

picked it up used last weekend and really enjoyed it. great to see Edward Norton choose a totally risky role.

8/10
Old 11-14-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I give it 6/10. The actors were superb, and I can't wait to see where Evan Rachel Wood's career goes from here. However, after a key event happened, the movie just fell apart for me.
I enjoyed this a little bit more than you, but I do agree it fell apart at the end.

Spoiler:
I was expecting Lonnie to end up shooting Wade at the housing development after Harlan was taken out, but I'm glad that didn't come about because that would have totally ruined it for me.
Old 11-14-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
I enjoyed this a little bit more than you, but I do agree it fell apart at the end.

Spoiler:
I was expecting Lonnie to end up shooting Wade at the housing development after Harlan was taken out, but I'm glad that didn't come about because that would have totally ruined it for me.

That is what I thought would happen glad it didn't. I liked it but something was off for me through most of it. I would just rate it as average... 5/10. The performances were good though...
Old 11-14-06, 02:04 PM

When did this movie come out? How come there wasn't any pub?
Old 11-14-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

if it's the one i'm thinking about, then it's close to 10 years old
Old 11-14-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by harrydoyle
When did this movie come out? How come there wasn't any pub?
It had a limited theatrical release on May 5, 2006. Hit dvd on September 26th.
Old 11-14-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
That is what I thought would happen glad it didn't. I liked it but something was off for me through most of it. I would just rate it as average... 5/10. The performances were good though...
Yep, from the way the scene was set up and the positioning of the actors I was almost certain it was going to happen.
Spoiler:
Also, Harlan's demeanor change was just too sudden and abrupt for me.
Old 11-15-06, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't care for this movie. It felt like an 80 minute movie stretched out to 115 minutes. It just plodded along, with tons of scenes that felt unecessary. I found Norton's character more bland than interesting, and was irritated that we never were told what his "deal" was. Where did he come from? Why is he obsessed with being a cowboy? Why does he lash out in inappropriate ways? With none of that answered, the character is left seeming boring and undefined. And don't even get me started on the last 25 minutes. I thought I was watching Walker Texas Ranger.

4/10