Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Jeff Tweedy (Wilco) Sunken Treasure solo DVD out 10/24

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-06, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait for this. I just saw them live in Huntsville last week. I was an amazing show and they still remain one of the best bands making music today.

Nonesuch Records will release Sunken Treasure: Live in the Pacific Northwest, a performance DVD by Wilco's Jeff Tweedy, on October 24. The disc includes performances and conversations gathered over five nights on Tweedy’s February 2006 solo acoustic tour, with footage from concerts at Seattle’s Moore Theater, Portland’s Crystal Ballroom, Eugene’s McDonald Theater, Arcata’s Humboldt State University, and The Fillmore in San Francisco. The film was directed by Christoph Green and Fugazi’s Brendan Canty, the creators of the documentary series Burn to Shine.

“I wanted this to feel how the tour felt to me,” said filmmaker Christoph Green, “…a chaptered flow down the west coast, showing the isolated bleakness you encounter when you travel quickly from one place to another, and then contrasting that with the experience at the shows—the gathering of people and the sense of community that is created night after night.

The audio tracks of all the songs featured on the DVD also will be available for anyone who purchases Sunken Treasure to download for free. This continues Wilco’s own tradition of regularly giving music to its fans via the Internet. In 2003 Wilco and Nonesuch made the More Like the Moon EP available for free download to anyone who had purchased YHF, and in 2005, they again made an EP of rare and live recordings available for free to anyone who had purchased A ghost is born, the band’s 2004 release.
During live solo performances, Tweedy draws from 200-plus songs with no particular set list in mind. The songs featured on the DVD feature music from Tweedy’s three bands: Uncle Tupelo, Wilco and Loose Fur. There is also one previously unreleased track, “The Thanks I Get.” Wilco percussionist Glenn Kotche and guitarist Nels Cline, who opened for him on the February tour, also make guest appearances in Sunken Treasure, accompanying Tweedy on several songs.

The DVD will be available for pre-order via the website in September.

Full track listing: Sunken Treasure, Theologians, The Ruling Class, How to Fight Loneliness, Summerteeth, The Thanks I Get, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, ELT, Shot in the Arm, In a Future Age, Laminated Cat, (Was I) In Your Dreams, Airline to Heaven, Heavy Metal Drummer, War on War, Acuff Rose.

Old 10-17-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 10-17-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The entire DVD will be available to stream from 10/23 at 9 pm until 12 am on the 24th here.

I don't particularly enjoy live music, but I'm happy to see this disc titled after my favorite Wilco song.
Old 10-25-06, 09:39 PM

so where is the download? i bought the dvd but dont see nething w/ a url to point to
Old 10-29-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have you tried putting the DVD in your computer and going to the "Special Features" page.

I haven't done it yet, but when you put the dvd in your tv's dvd player, the Special Features page says its "internet only", so I imagine that is how you dow it.
Old 10-29-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To get the selected downloads, pop the dvd into your computer, open Quicktime, click on File and go to Open File, scroll down and select JeffTweedyDVD, then click on the Extras folder, and then click on the Extras file and it will take you to a website to download the tracks. You must have a fast connection it says.

When I went their it said that they were having troubles with the downloads so you might want to wait a day or so for them to get the tracks back up.
Old 10-29-06, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This isn't about the DVD specifically, but it should be of interest to my fellow Tweedy/Wilco fans, anyway. The (soon to be going away forever) MP3 blog rbally.net has posted the full set that Jeff did at the Rocky Mountain Folk Festival in Colorado back in August:

http://www.rbally.net/2006/10/jeff-t...tain-folk.html

Great set, great sound--worth checking out. And there's a lot of great other stuff up on rbally, too--grab it before it all goes away around Thanksgiving-time.

(As far as I know, this is kosher to post here. If not, let me know, and I'll delete.)

Last edited by Matt; 10-29-06 at 10:05 PM.