Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - 10/16/06

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-06, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - 10/16/06

"The Long Lead Story"

Spoiler:
A reporter (Christine Lahti) tries to get the story on Matt and Harriet, while the cast rehearses with Lauren Graham and Sting; Jordan says no to a potentially lucrative new reality-series.

This was on extremely early last night here in Canada (7 EST) for some reason, but I don't know if this will be a new timeslot or not (hope so!).

Anyway, here are my thoughts. Nothing really spoilerize, but I will spoiler for now:

Spoiler:
Nothing much happened, IMO. Lahti's character is trying to figure out the whole relationship between Matt and Harriet, and we see that Jordan wants the network to put on good quality shows, passing on the reality show (which I expect to see pop up on Fox anytime now), and pissing off Jack in the process.

I found it odd that not once did we see Lauren Graham have a line outside the Studio 60 show. She had no interaction with anyone. For most of the time, those few seconds that we did see her was through the lens of the Studio 60 camera. Odd. I liked Sting though
Old 10-16-06, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NBC says the are behind this show in public, let's hope that's the case in private as well.
Old 10-16-06, 09:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Complaint I'm tired of reading: "The show-within-a-show isn't funny!"

While this complaint is indeed true, the point of the show isn't to entertain us with the skits that the performers are doing. That's why we only see snippets of them, instead of having the show stop completely so we can sit and watch the sketch.

Secondly, suspension of disbelief. Just as we must accept that within the Lord of the Rings universe there are hobbits and wizards, we must accept that within the Studio 60 universe the show is hysterically funny.

Bottom line: if you're tuning in to watch hilarious sketch comedy, this show isn't for you. Get an SNL DVD from Netflix instead.
Old 10-16-06, 09:35 AM
Suspended

From the Palm Beach Post this morning:
While NBC's programming suits aren't happy with Studio 60's disappointing showing so far, the network says it's not even close to killing the high-profile series.

"There is a core audience that loves it," NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reilly told The New York Times.

But there's more to the explanation than that. Money, as always, is the main reason why NBC is hesitant to squeeze the cancellation trigger.

Studio 60 attracts the educated and rich viewers (household incomes of $100,000 and up) that Madison Avenue craves. Advertisers love affluent viewers who are willing to empty their wallets after watching a bunch of commercials.

Also, NBC reportedly paid a $2 million license fee per episode, which is about one-third higher than an average network drama, and committed to at least 13 episodes.

If NBC axed Studio 60 now, it would be responsible for paying a hefty penalty to Warner Bros., the studio that produces the show.

And no network likes to pony up a considerable amount of change when it doesn't have to.

So NBC will keep its fingers — and toes — crossed that more viewers will eventually warm up to Sorkin's engaging drama.
Old 10-16-06, 09:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Studio 60 attracts the educated and rich viewers (household incomes of $100,000 and up) that Madison Avenue craves. Advertisers love affluent viewers who are willing to empty their wallets after watching a bunch of commercials.
Wow. This is pretty funny since they talked about this exact same thing in last week's episode.
Old 10-16-06, 09:39 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Groucho
Complaint I'm tired of reading: "The show-within-a-show isn't funny!"

While this complaint is indeed true, the point of the show isn't to entertain us with the skits that the performers are doing. That's why we only see snippets of them, instead of having the show stop completely so we can sit and watch the sketch.

Secondly, suspension of disbelief. Just as we must accept that within the Lord of the Rings universe there are hobbits and wizards, we must accept that within the Studio 60 universe the show is hysterically funny.

Bottom line: if you're tuning in to watch hilarious sketch comedy, this show isn't for you. Get an SNL DVD from Netflix instead.
I'd gladly stop complaining if they do just one thing. Only show us material that's relevant to the story. If you need some time-filler montage like they did in that one episode, set it to music and don't let us hear a second of the actual sketch dialogue.

The awfulness of the sketch material in this show then coupled with seeing our supposedly brilliant characters laughing hysterically at it is hard to just chalk up to "fantasy land".
Old 10-16-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
...the point of the show isn't to entertain us with the skits that the performers are doing. That's why we only see snippets of them, instead of having the show stop completely so we can sit and watch the sketch.

Exactly. In Battlestar Galactica we are supposed to be caught up in the story enough to forget the the shiny silver robots aren't real and that there really aren't giant spaceships full of people out there, just like we are supposed to be caught up in Studio 60 enough to forget that the "killer" stuff Matt is writing isn't really funny.
Old 10-16-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
I still say the show-within-the-show being unfunny is more true to life. I'm sure the guys on SNL don't sit there and go "This stuff sucks!" despite the fact that it does.
Old 10-16-06, 10:09 AM
Suspended

I guess most of us have never been asked to accept "fantasy comedy" before. Robots, aliens, hobbits? Sure. Because THEY DON'T EXIST. But comedy does. This concept of "accept the unfunny comedy as fantasy" is just absurd. Unfunny is unfunny.
Old 10-16-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Groucho

I disagree, not with your point but with the emphasis. I don't think it's hysterically funny in the Studio 60 universe. I think it's funnier than Ricky and Ron and good enough to hold a late-night Friday audience on a 3rd rate network, but just because it's important to the network and the point of emphasis for the show doesn't mean it claims to be the highest rated or funniest thing on television. Even with the much-maligned 90 seconds from last week, Matt's assessment of the comedy was, "it's not bad", implying that he was reaching out to "the room" per Danny's request as much as anything else. I think Jordan's desire to get these guys in the pilot and their success in feature films (including the WGA award) may have unintentionally set the bar too high for their talent, but it's still a live sketch comedy show, and even at it's peak, SNL was all over the map in terms of quality. I would agree that the show-within-the-show has not been overly funny at times, but I think the gap between how funny it is and how funny they claim it to be is not as large as many people have suggested.

All that said, it's really not that important to me. I watch to see the behind-the-scenes machinations and the interactions between the characters. As long as that's good, that's all I care about. Sports Night on CSC was never that good, and it really didn't matter. I see how and why this scenario is different (how do you screw up the reading of box scores and highlights), but I can easily look past it.

das
Old 10-16-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In tonight's episode

Spoiler:
There is a skit about Nancy Grace that probably would have been the funniest thing so far this season in SNL (which is not saying much). It wasn't funny ha-ha, but more funny in a skewering satirical kind of way of Nancy Grace and how she overexaggerates the smallest of cases.
Old 10-16-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
In tonight's episode

Spoiler:
There is a skit about Nancy Grace that probably would have been the funniest thing so far this season in SNL (which is not saying much). It wasn't funny ha-ha, but more funny in a skewering satirical kind of way of Nancy Grace and how she overexaggerates the smallest of cases.
I thought SNL did a sketch of her 2 weeks ago when Jamie Pressley was hosting? doh.
Old 10-16-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They did, but this one was better, IMO. Maybe I am just sick of the Foley jokes that SNL used.
Old 10-16-06, 01:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I hear Mitch and Murray from the 'Glengarry' home office will replace Ricky & Ron and have Alec Baldwin give everyone a really big pep talk.

Seriously ... last chance guys. I'm giving up unless tonight's show gives me something good.
Old 10-16-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If that is the case, I think that this will be your last episode
Old 10-16-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieking
If that is the case, I think that this will be your last episode
Just wanted to clarify that I didn't mean it was a bad episode tonight, just that I don't think you will get what you want. I liked the episode but....well, just read my spoiler for my thoughts.
Old 10-16-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I want to like this show. I just don't know if I can, despite the fact I'm apparently in the group of people who support the show.
Old 10-16-06, 02:48 PM

I really hope that more people watch this show tonight, bc it is just quality television! I am also a fan of WAB, but I have put this on my priority juyst bc I don't want to see it go!
Old 10-16-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Unless you're a Nielsen household, what you watch or don't watch has little impact on whether or not a show stays on the air, so watch WAB if you want, and then watch Studio 60 later if you timeshift it (or vice-versa).
Old 10-16-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I let out the biggest laugh when
Spoiler:
Christine Lahti's character goes "Pen, I need a pen!" and the lobster guy searches his person, failing miserably to find a pen on his costumed person
Old 10-16-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yea, the lobster pen thing was good...heheh

annd...

hellooo Lorelai Gilmore.
Old 10-16-06, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I gave up on this show tonight.
Old 10-16-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that was a great Nic Cage impression.
Old 10-16-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought this was a pretty solid episode. I was surprised to see Lauren Graham as the host for this week, and then doubly surprised to see/hear Sting as the musical guest. Whoa!
Old 10-16-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cancel all that stuff I said earlier today about the show within the show. Those sketches were awful. I adore this show, and it's painful to watch it stumble.

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.