Search this Thread

Old 10-15-06, 02:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Dexter - "The Popping Cherry" - 10/15/06

"The Popping Cherry"
Spoiler:
Dexter and Debra try to convince their boss that he has the wrong killer; Dexter's girlfriend receives an unwelcome visit.

I wonder if the unwelcome visit is from
Spoiler:
Rita's ex and Dexer takes care of him
Old 10-15-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
On the second question, the answer is "no", and Dexter comes up with a different solution. It was good episode.
Old 10-15-06, 05:44 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
"I can't help it, I kill things"

"That must be awful"

I thought it was good.

Disappointing he didn't go after the guy since he does fill the "bad guy" rule that he goes by. Hopefully he shows up again.

Even the secondary story with the black cop now being set up by the other cops is interesting

Last edited by MrX; 10-16-06 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-16-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That guy collecting on Rita's ex's drug debt was lucky he got away with what he got away with because Dex could have messed him up 6 ways to Sunday (and maybe that's a dangling plot thread to be dealt with later).

Dex's sympathy with the juvie adds more layers of hurt and abuse Dex also suffered as a foster child in the system.

Had to laugh when the cops set up the one that confronted the drug lord at his daughter's party. Cops don't like other cops banging on other undercover cops' wives.

Dex's sister seems to be getting set up for some bad to happen to her because she is driven to solve the crimes, but doesn't appear to be the sharpest tool in the shed.

Anyhow, another interesting episode in which the hour seems to fly by when I watch this show.
Old 10-16-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Dex's sister seems to be getting set up for some bad to happen to her because she is driven to solve the crimes, but doesn't appear to be the sharpest tool in the shed.
Actually, I think she's turning out to be a lot sharper than the show was originally letting on. She made the discoveries on this episode by herself (the station wagon, that the watchman was a red herring, etc) without dexter's help. She still seems a bit awkward, but I imagine that's because she's still new to homicide.
Old 10-16-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any would-be killers want to explain why none of the victims who get the cotton in the mouth have been able to spit it out? Is it magic cotton of some kind? Not ruining the show, but kind of getting on my nerves.
Old 10-17-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been watching from the beginning and this show is starting to grow on me and I really like it.
Some questions, has anyone read the book it's based on?(Darkly Dreaming Dexter, something like that) Is it good? Also, maybe I missed it but is there a reason why the Lt. hates Dex's sister so much?
Old 10-17-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably she thinks the sister is just a vice-skank trying nudge into homicide on her brother's smarts.
Old 10-17-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stevevt
Any would-be killers want to explain why none of the victims who get the cotton in the mouth have been able to spit it out? Is it magic cotton of some kind? Not ruining the show, but kind of getting on my nerves.
If you stuff enough cotton in your mouth, you wouldn't be able to get it out without using your hands either. Not that I've killed anyone...in this particular manner.
Old 10-17-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by squidget
I've been watching from the beginning and this show is starting to grow on me and I really like it.
Some questions, has anyone read the book it's based on?(Darkly Dreaming Dexter, something like that) Is it good? Also, maybe I missed it but is there a reason why the Lt. hates Dex's sister so much?

I read both books after I heard about this series, and they are both great reads. So far the book and series are enough alike and different to be good. When they have changed things from the book it is usually for the better or not bothersome to me.
Old 10-19-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm really loving this show. Only The Office has me more excited about new episodes at the moment.

I was shocked that they were going to have him go after a kid, but then felt it was a bit of a cop out at the end that he let him off the hook. The kid was definitely going to kill again, and I don't think a warning is going to change his course of action. It certainly wouldn't have worked on Dexter. I also think it's slightly odd that in the first episode Dexter looked nauseous upon discovering the body with no blood. Since then he's seemed okay with it.

Anybody else think he purposely pricked the girls finger just to see the blood? I thought it was a nice, albeit somewhat frightening, touch.
Old 10-19-06, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mordred
I was shocked that they were going to have him go after a kid, but then felt it was a bit of a cop out at the end that he let him off the hook. The kid was definitely going to kill again, and I don't think a warning is going to change his course of action. It certainly wouldn't have worked on Dexter.
I started to get the feeling that Dexter could mentor this kid, the way his father mentored him. I think that could be a very cool progression. But - we'll probably never see the kid again.