Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you ebaying a PS3?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Are you ebaying a PS3?
Yes
43.53%
No
56.47%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Are you ebaying a PS3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you ebaying a PS3?

Everyone at the preorder this morning said they were, so I'm curious.
Old 10-10-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
From everything I have read today, it sounds like everyone who snagged a pre-order today is putting them on ebay.
Old 10-10-06, 06:46 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No.

1. I hate the practice of hoarding rare shit to sell to lazy rich people on ebay, and making it that much harder on those that just want to buy one for themselves to use at regular price.

2. Even if not for that, I just don't have the time to deal with it as I'm crazy fucking busy this semester with Ph D studies and research work. My limited free time is more valuable than the money to be made finding one to ebay if I had the inclination to do so.
Old 10-10-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So in other words, you didn't get a pre-order today did you Josh?
Old 10-10-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Nah, too lazy.
Old 10-10-06, 07:32 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
So in other words, you didn't get a pre-order today did you Josh?
Didn't even try as I have no interest in the system for myself, and I'm opposed to ebay hoarding as stated above.

I will be their on Friday (if the rumor is true) to pre-order a Wii for myself though.
Old 10-10-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not going to any extra effort, but if I stumble on an easy to get PS3 I will buy it and resell it.
Old 10-10-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I'm not going to any extra effort, but if I stumble on an easy to get PS3 I will buy it and resell it.
That is what it boiled down to for me. I hate ebay whores as well, but I guess I am one now. I had no interest what-so-ever to even bother with it. Never have. If there is a deal or price mistake on anything (DVDs, cds, games, etc) I buy one. The thought never even crosses my mind to buy more than one until later when everyone else is doing it. Also has to do with the bills piling up while my wife has been on maternity leave. A few extra hundred would sure come in handy.

Well I was bored at work today and decided to call around for the hell of it. Managed to find one store with one left and made the trip. Scored one and spent no effort at all getting it. This was 2 hours after they opened. Every other store in the city sold out in 10 minutes. It was a sign.

Am I a dick? Maybe, but I'll be a dick with a few extra benjamins in my pocket. I figure I can slide by this once since it is my first and likely only offence.
Old 10-10-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 401 Likes on 301 Posts
No way I am standing in line to get one. I probably won't get one until MGS 4 comes out.
Old 10-10-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
No.

1. I hate the practice of hoarding rare shit to sell to lazy rich people on ebay, and making it that much harder on those that just want to buy one for themselves to use at regular price.
Rare? Tell me you just didn't describe the freakin' PS3 as RARE. This isn't a limited edition item or something that will go up in value soon. It's the first shipment of an item that's going to be reproduced over and over and over again and will be available for years to come. It doesn't make it harder at all for anyone to get one, it just means some people won't be the first to get one.

And if people weren't in such a hurry to be the first to get one, the eBay market would pretty much dry up.

Personally if I had known they were going up for order today, I would have grabbed one and sold it on eBay. That would have paid for my Wii, accessories, games, and a nice bit of Christmas money left over.

I hate scalpers of truly limited items - tickets to major concerts or sporting events, limited edition collectible items, etc. But the PS3 is in no way, shape or form limited.
Old 10-10-06, 08:59 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ebay was the only way I could get a 360 last year before X-mas.
Old 10-10-06, 09:01 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Rare? Tell me you just didn't describe the freakin' PS3 as RARE. This isn't a limited edition item or something that will go up in value soon. It's the first shipment of an item that's going to be reproduced over and over and over again and will be available for years to come. It doesn't make it harder at all for anyone to get one, it just means some people won't be the first to get one.

And if people weren't in such a hurry to be the first to get one, the eBay market would pretty much dry up.

Personally if I had known they were going up for order today, I would have grabbed one and sold it on eBay. That would have paid for my Wii, accessories, games, and a nice bit of Christmas money left over.

I hate scalpers of truly limited items - tickets to major concerts or sporting events, limited edition collectible items, etc. But the PS3 is in no way, shape or form limited.

I agree to an extent. I still hate to see gamers that just want one on day 1, parents who's kids want them for x-mas, etc. not be able to get them when they want because of lazy rich people that are happy to pay a thousand or more over retail on ebay.

But I truly put more fault on the producers, than the lazy rich people. If Sony and MS would just launch with sufficient stock like Nintendo always does, their wouldn't be these crazy shortages and insane markups on ebay.

The ebay hoarders in this case draw the least ire from me, as they are just taking advantage of the situation and others (the lazy rich people's) stupidity.

I'll never get why anyone will pay such high prices just to get a console right away. Launch lineups pretty much always suck balls anyway. Usually 1 killer game and a bunch of third party crap that was rushed to make launch date.
Old 10-10-06, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was before the price was announced. It doesn't seem likely that the effort will be worth the payoff, especially with so many others doing it.
Old 10-10-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

as they are just taking advantage of the situation and others (the lazy rich people's) stupidity.
You do live in the USA don't you? Isn't that what this country was built on?
Old 10-10-06, 09:25 PM
Retired

You do live in the USA don't you? Isn't that what this country was built on?
Yep, which is why I put the blame on them last.

I'm not a big fan of the philosophy.

I'm working on a Ph D (in my 5th year of grad school as we speak) so that should tell you that my financial bottom line isn't of upmost importance to me.
Old 10-10-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm working on a Ph D (in my 5th year of grad school as we speak) so that should tell you that my financial bottom line isn't of upmost importance to me.
Has it only been 5 years? Seems like an eternity hearing about it ;-)

Too easy man, you make it too easy.
Old 10-10-06, 09:41 PM
Retired

Too easy man, you make it too easy.

Too true.

Can't help but whine as visiting this forum just reminds me of all the games I wish I had time to play.
Old 10-10-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, I'm ebaying one of the PS3's I have reserved but I plan on keeping the second one for myself.
Old 10-10-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
ouch.

You wouldn't believe the number of people on CAG doing exactly this. Just from the people posting it seems EVERY person who bought a PS3 today is using it to fund their Wii purchase. Way to go Sony. Good for Nintendo.
Old 10-10-06, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just remember, every time an ebay hoarder sells a PS3 for profit God kills 100 Perfect 10 girls. so please, think of the girls before you ass rape someone.
Old 10-10-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

rare1  /rɛər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rair] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective, rar‧er, rar‧est.
1. coming or occurring far apart in time; unusual; uncommon:
2. thinly distributed over an area; few and widely separated

—Synonyms: sparse, infrequent

hmmm....i think on nov 17th the PS3 will qualify as being rare (at least relative to the number of people that want one)
Old 10-10-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I may still do so. I didn't get in on the pre-ordering today at EBgames (class/work/etc) but I may still camp out somewhere for one. I work 3rd shift anyway, I'm used to staying up all night.

I mean, it's a quick, risk-free profit. I'm hoping for $400+ profit. I'll use to to pay off a CC or help pay for my Wii or buy christmas presents or something.
Old 10-10-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by Setzer
Yes, I'm ebaying one of the PS3's I have reserved but I plan on keeping the second one for myself.
Well, you basically paid nothing for your second PS3, so you made a wise choice. I did the same when there was a great price for a Logitech webcam. Instead of 1 for $75, you could buy 2 for $75. I basically eBay'd the first one and got $80 for it so I ended up getting mine free.
Old 10-10-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
I would if I preordered but I didn't. I had to work.

Most were selling for more than $1000 and up with many days left.
I saw a couple PS3 on ebay that were selling as "buy it now" for $7900.
That kind of money would buy me a 360, Wii, games, a nice projector/Big screen tv.

Would it be possible for Sony to ban the sales of PS3 on eBay?
Old 10-10-06, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
You wouldn't believe the number of people on CAG doing exactly this. Just from the people posting it seems EVERY person who bought a PS3 today is using it to fund their Wii purchase. Way to go Sony. Good for Nintendo.
It doesn't surprise me. I've bashed Nintendo a lot over the years, starting with the horrible planning of the N64 (and the insistance on keeping a cartrige based system) and the (IMHO) poor design of the Game Cube (mini discs? What's wrong with regular CDs?). However I've seen Sony, whose Playstation I embraced whole-heartedly, turn into a company more concerned with proprietary items than delivering a good affordable product. My personal belief is that Sony cares less about delivering the PS3 as a gaming platform and more about getting a Blu-Ray DVD player into as many households as possible to win the new DVD format war.

Then Nintendo comes along and says "hey, here's a system that would have been considered affordable back when the PS2 came out, and we're going to let you download your favorite games from the past." As someone that doesn't like emulators and ROMs, this was a godsend to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.