Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Hook Me Up Home Theater - Opinions?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DVD Price Search recently added an etailer called Hook Me Up Home Theater. Their prices are mostly average, but I've seen a couple items with isnanely good prices -- for example, just now I was searching for prices on the upcoming Tarzan Vol. 2 collection and noticed that Hook Me Up has Vol. 1 for $18.29.

However, I'm leery of using an online store I've never dealt with before, and DVD Price Search doesn't have any reviews yet. Has anyone dealt with them yet? Any horror stories about bad customer service, or packages that never showed up?
Old 10-10-06, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen their name come up on dvdpricesearch lately but I'am also aphrensive about ordering from them. They have some other Warner sets for listed for 18.29 like the James Dean Collection but it says the release date is in November. Maybe a really Big price drop?
Old 11-01-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bump. Veronica Mars s2 is $26, about $15 cheaper than anywhere else.
Old 11-08-06, 08:47 AM

I just ordered a copy of Kurt and Courtney from them yesterday (because it's going out of print and theyre the only vendor who had it). I will let you know how the experience goes.
Old 11-11-06, 01:05 AM

Ok well, it's been four days since I placed my order, and I have yet to recieve any communication from HookMeUpHomeTheatre, not even an order confirmation.

When I log onto the site and click on MY Account, it says "Processing".

I can't think of any reason for an etailer to take 4 days or more to pack and ship an order other than maybe they're just a drop-shipper, which is fine, but why then list all of their inventory as "In Stock"?

I don't have much hope of actually getting my order and I won't use this company again.

On a better note, I was very pleasantly surprised by Buy Rite Dvd (another cheap etailer that has shown up on dvdpricesearch). They don't have a huge selection, I think they handle closeouts and odd lots.

I placed an order with them for about 4 titles. It was shipped in less than 24 hours and I got it in 2 days, even though they sent it media mail. Lots of communication from them too.

Last edited by kintnerboy; 11-11-06 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-14-06, 03:09 PM

Okay, now it has been a full week since I placed my order. I have recieved no order or shipping confirmation, and my e-mails inquiring as to my order status have been ignored.

Obviously, you should not waste your time ordering from this company. I am going to contact Dvd Price Search and recommend that they de-list them.
Old 11-14-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kintnerboy
Okay, now it has been a full week since I placed my order. I have recieved no order or shipping confirmation, and my e-mails inquiring as to my order status have been ignored.

Obviously, you should not waste your time ordering from this company. I am going to contact Dvd Price Search and recommend that they de-list them.
I suggest you contact your credit card company and dispute the charge.
Old 11-14-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noticed on Dvdpricesearch that Hookmeup now has a vendor rating. While there are only two responses, it does not look good so far.

http://www.dvdpricesearch.net/cgi-bin/vreviews2

Link dont work right. Find a title that Hookmeup is selling and over on the right side side it has their rating and click on that.

Last edited by ernestrp; 11-14-06 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-17-06, 07:51 AM

Has this ever happened to anyone with other merchants before? It's ridiculous.

I ordered stuff 5 days ago, I sent an email, no response whatsoever.

Anyways, I checked on their "About us" place and saw that they are a member of both the Camarillo (CA) Chamber of Commerce and the Better Business Bureau.

Chamber of Commerce link:

http://www.camarillochamber.org/dire...ategoryID=1905

Link to Better Business Bureau's "company report" (you can file a complaint):

http://www.santabarbara.bbb.org/BBBW...panyID=5002851

I'm gonna give them a few more days (and a few more emails), and then I think I'll let both of those organizations know what's going on.

"Hook Me Up" says they don't charge credit cards until the things are shipped out. So if those things are never shipped, no money leaves our hands and they aren't scamming people.

But the thing that really bugs me is that they now have my credit card number.
Old 11-20-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I placed an order for the Hollywood's Legends of Horrors boxset ($18.29) on Nov.12, with media mail shipping for $1.99. Was pleasantly surprised to find the item in my mailbox today, securely packaged and showing a ship date of 11/18. Score one for "Hook Me Up"!
Old 11-22-06, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by mike7162
I placed an order for the Hollywood's Legends of Horrors boxset ($18.29) on Nov.12, with media mail shipping for $1.99. Was pleasantly surprised to find the item in my mailbox today, securely packaged and showing a ship date of 11/18. Score one for "Hook Me Up"!
Did you receive any emails from them at all?
Old 11-24-06, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by vordabois
Did you receive any emails from them at all?
Not a one. Not even one confirming the order. I had already received the dvd before my order was shown as shipped on the site! I see one guy in a tiny office in the back of some store, pecking out shipping labels with one finger and wondering when his Windows 98 is going to be updated.
Old 11-25-06, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by mike7162
Not a one. Not even one confirming the order. I had already received the dvd before my order was shown as shipped on the site! I see one guy in a tiny office in the back of some store, pecking out shipping labels with one finger and wondering when his Windows 98 is going to be updated.
phew. Well then, I'll lay off and see what happens.

Thanks for sharing.

That's a bit of a relief. My order's $78.46... Christmas is coming up, and I was kinda panicking because gifts would be nice to have. This whole "wait and see" thing is a bit unnerving.