Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Da Ali G Show: Da Compleet Seereez ----> 11/21/06

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-06, 04:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Da Ali G Show: Da Compleet Seereez ----> 11/21/06

Amazon.com has this boxset containing the first and second season of the Ali G show, just in time for the Borat movie.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...JBXH82/dvdtalk
Old 10-09-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is just a repackaging of the HBO show right? Doesen't have any of the British stuff?
Old 10-09-06, 04:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NoirFan
This is just a repackaging of the HBO show right? Doesen't have any of the British stuff?
It seems that way. And labeling this the complete series indicates that there no more seasons in production for the show.
Old 10-09-06, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
It seems that way. And labeling this the complete series indicates that there no more seasons in production for the show.
Which correctly is the current status of this show.
Old 10-17-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fliggil
Which correctly is the current status of this show.
is this confirmed?
Old 10-17-06, 07:33 PM

In July of 2005, Sacha (as Borat) was filming a new segment for the show in the deep south, in which he tried to get a family of southerners to admit that they were racist and approved of slavery. They were rather pissed, spoke out to the local news, and as a result he got some rather bad press, and since then there has been no news of filming any new segments. I've also heard that as Ali G, he has had no luck getting new interviewees as everyone seems to be tipped off already as to what is going down.
Old 10-17-06, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's the problem with shows that feature spoof interviews or have the same performer trying to get over on unsuspecting members of the public (i.e. The Jamie Kennedy Experiment). If it gets too successful most everyone spots the gag a mile off. You either have to have a rotating cast (i.e. Punk'd) or be real patient waiting for that 1 out of 20 that doesn't know the show still.
Old 10-17-06, 08:54 PM

He needs to come up with some new characters.
Old 10-18-06, 04:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoirFan
I enjoyed the HBO show. Was the show different on British TV?
Old 10-18-06, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Living Dead
I've never seen the British stuff, but I'd imagine that since it was filmed in England, that it is different. The show for HBO is all in America.
Old 10-18-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Hmm, hope that I can just get the box...but that's probably not happening.
Old 10-20-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Living Dead
Slightly. Obviously, most of the interview subjects were British (Ali G visits America briefly, interviewing an FBI guy in a segment which is pretty similar to the FBI guy in HBO season 1), but the idea is the same. Bruno isn't there yet, and the biggest difference is that Ali G also does celebrity interviews with people who are in on the joke (a famous example being his interview with Beckham and Posh Spice). Personally, I think a lot of these segments are kinda crap, since the joke becomes "How rude will they let Ali G be to them?"

I'm reasonably sure that the best line on any of the British DVDs is "If you drop this spliff, it will fall down to the ground, because of something which lives in the air, called science."
Old 10-20-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I'm reasonably sure that the best line on any of the British DVDs is "If you drop this spliff, it will fall down to the ground, because of something which lives in the air, called science."
Or to be more precise:

If I drop dis spliff, it will fall to da Earth, coz of someting dat lives in da air called da Science.

Old 10-20-06, 04:47 PM

Another big difference with the early British DVDs (eg. Ali G Innit, Aiii): the taped interviews have an audience laugh track that kinda ruins the whole thing.
Old 10-20-06, 08:14 PM

The HBO Borat clips kill me. I like his other characters too, but Borat just makes me laugh my ass off. I'll definitely be in line for The Borat Movie.
Old 10-21-06, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My favorite line from the British Ali G is when he's talking to the British drug czar and he asks him what drugs are the ones you need to take to make you enjoy house music.
Old 10-21-06, 12:26 PM
Banned

In July of 2005, Sacha (as Borat) was filming a new segment for the show in the deep south, in which he tried to get a family of southerners to admit that they were racist and approved of slavery. They were rather pissed, spoke out to the local news, and as a result he got some rather bad press, and since then there has been no news of filming any new segments.
This is complete bullshit.

First of all, in the wine-tasting segment of the HBO special he does get southerners to admit that they think that the end of slavery was good for black people but bad for white people. He also gets that crazy gun nut to admit that he wished he could hunt Jews for sport.

Then you have SBC currently enraging an entire nation to promote his movie.

I absolutely guarantee you that no racist Southern family is responsible for the demise of the HBO series. That's just fucking retarded.
Old 10-21-06, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
This is complete bullshit.

First of all, in the wine-tasting segment of the HBO special he does get southerners to admit that they think that the end of slavery was good for black people but bad for white people. He also gets that crazy gun nut to admit that he wished he could hunt Jews for sport.

Then you have SBC currently enraging an entire nation to promote his movie.

I absolutely guarantee you that no racist Southern family is responsible for the demise of the HBO series. That's just fucking retarded.
First of all, take a pill dude and calm down. Second, I didn't claim that they were responsible for the end of the show. It was a combination of the fact that they spoke out to the media saying something along the lines of "I can't believe this guy tried to get us to admit we're racist", which didn't look good for SBC; along with the fact that seemingly people were getting tipped off not to do interviews with this guy. So chill the hell out man.
Old 10-21-06, 01:10 PM
Banned

First of all, take a pill dude and calm down. Second, I didn't claim that they were responsible for the end of the show. It was a combination of the fact that they spoke out to the media saying something along the lines of "I can't believe this guy tried to get us to admit we're racist", which didn't look good for SBC; along with the fact that seemingly people were getting tipped off not to do interviews with this guy. So chill the hell out man.
Is that sorta like how all the Kazakhstan backlash makes him look bad?

Explain to me how Sacha Baron Cohen looks bad by succeeding in making his interview subjects look foolish.
Old 10-21-06, 04:29 PM

That's what you're missing here. In this case, the southern family did not look foolish. Instead they told him to get out of their house, to stop insisting that they, or their family, is racist. The whole Kazhakstan backlash is happening in hindsight...the movie was already filmed when the people from the country decided to say "that's not who we are." Rather than respect the family's wishes and leaving, he stayed there and continued to insist they were racist. The only other time something somewhat similar happened, Andy Rooney got up and left the set, although Ali G playing with the English language is not quite as serious as coming into someone's house and accusing them, and their last 5 generations of family are racist. SBC insisted that if it was possible, the southern family would have slaves today. Does this still not make sense to you?
Old 10-21-06, 11:52 PM
Banned

That's what you're missing here. In this case, the southern family did not look foolish. Instead they told him to get out of their house, to stop insisting that they, or their family, is racist. The whole Kazhakstan backlash is happening in hindsight...the movie was already filmed when the people from the country decided to say "that's not who we are." Rather than respect the family's wishes and leaving, he stayed there and continued to insist they were racist. The only other time something somewhat similar happened, Andy Rooney got up and left the set, although Ali G playing with the English language is not quite as serious as coming into someone's house and accusing them, and their last 5 generations of family are racist. SBC insisted that if it was possible, the southern family would have slaves today. Does this still not make sense to you?
What makes no sense to me is that you have linked this alleged incident (that doesn't seem to be documented anywhere) to the end of the show as if SBC said "oh well, that bit didn't work so I guess it's time to pack it in".
Old 10-22-06, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Getting back on topic, does anyone know if there are going to be any additional extras or if this is just going the same material that is already available?
Old 10-22-06, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
What makes no sense to me is that you have linked this alleged incident (that doesn't seem to be documented anywhere) to the end of the show as if SBC said "oh well, that bit didn't work so I guess it's time to pack it in".
I didnt say this incidence was the reason for the end of the show, I said it was this, along with the combination of the fact that many people were tipped off not to do interviews with him.

and http://imdb.com/news/wenn/2005-07-19#celeb6 theres your DOCUMENTATION of this alleged incident.
Old 10-22-06, 03:06 AM
Banned

OK, even better.

You have managed to take a blurb from IMDB (which seems to be the peak of this story's notoriety and/or infamy) and tried to imply some connection to the end of the show.

I'm still trying to figure this out.
Old 10-22-06, 10:59 AM

First off to answer tonymontana313's question, it appears as if this is just the same releases of the first and second season, packaged together in a box. I haven't seen any mention of new features or such.

Guru: you need to get a bettter hobby than nonsense arguing. I'll draw a little connect the dots diagram for you here, ok? It's been over 2 years since HBO premiered the second season of Da Ali G show. Since then, he has become too popular, to the point where he can't get good interviews. You would think that HBO would try to do something to cash in and put out some episodes to coincide with the new movie release, absolutely nothing of the sort has been mentioned. IMDB lists SBC has connected to 4 movies coming out in the next 2 years, he obviously is very busy, and has made no mentions to making new episodes for this show. The blurb from IMDB was just an instance that shows that he was having problems getting a new season filmed, and that's why we haven't heard any news of new episodes coming out. That's the last thing i'm going to say about this whole ordeal, because it's obvious that if you haven't figured this out by now, you have a lot more to worry about besides whether or not there's going to be a new Ali G episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.