Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The one & only official GNR [Guns N Roses] concert discussion

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The one & only official GNR [Guns N Roses] concert discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guns N Roses to headline KROQ's Inland Invasion on Sept 23, 2006

I just heard on KROQ 106.7 in Los Angeles during an interview with Axel Rose, that Guns N Roses are headling KROQ's Inland Invasion at the Glen Helen Hyundai Pavilion on Sept 23, 2006.

Axel mentioned that KROQ was the first station in the U.S. to play them. It was "Welcome to the Jungle" 21 years ago. I believe I remember that day, it was Dusty Street playing their song.

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 05-19-06 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-19-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They could be broken up again by then
Old 05-19-06, 11:44 AM
Banned

Back in the early 90's Guns N Roses screwed me so bad with a concert they were suppose to have in Providence RI. They were red hot at the time and the show sold out fast. I ended up buying 2 tickets at a local ticket agency (legal scalpers) for more than twice face value. GNR canceled the original concert, they re-scheduled for about 2 months later then canceled again, the last one was canceled permenantly. I was able to get a refund of face value and right then I swore I would NEVER suppost those SOB's ever again and about 12-15 years later I have still never spent one penny on them and I never will..IMO GNR are dead and buried...
Old 05-19-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's "Axl", not "Axel".
Old 05-19-06, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
It's "Axl", not "Axel".
Ooops, shows you how much of a fan I am!

Chris
Old 05-19-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts
We'll see.. they'll probably hit the stage at 1am (if at all)
Old 05-20-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
It'll be interesting to see if this band is worth a shit any more. They sure do have a lot of dates lined up, especially for not even having a tour yet.
Old 05-20-06, 02:23 PM

I thought at first it was Ralph imitating Axl when I was listening that morning.

I seriously doubt they'll tour til then. Axl gets all out of breath and sweats profusely after the first song at each show. No way he makes Inland Invasion in September.
Old 05-21-06, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Axl Rose got smacked around by Tommy Hilfiger:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060520/...ose_hilfiger_7
Old 05-21-06, 05:29 PM

KROQ always webcast the inland invasion every year just like they do for the winnie roast and the never acustic anymore christmas shows. If GnR even plays the show, we can all sit at home at watch it.
Old 05-21-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SeekOnce
I thought at first it was Ralph imitating Axl when I was listening that morning.

I seriously doubt they'll tour til then. Axl gets all out of breath and sweats profusely after the first song at each show. No way he makes Inland Invasion in September.
Who's Ralph? Listening to what? Are you in the right thread?

What are you talking about Axl getting out of breath? I have not heard that from any review I've read recently. And I've read practically all of them.

He won't make it due to "running out of breath". The reason he'll not make it will be due to the fact that he's a mental case and won't be able to hold it together before then.
Old 05-21-06, 06:52 PM

Who's Ralph? Listening to what? Are you in the right thread?

What are you talking about Axl getting out of breath? I have not heard that from any review I've read recently. And I've read practically all of them.

He won't make it due to "running out of breath". The reason he'll not make it will be due to the fact that he's a mental case and won't be able to hold it together before then.
Ralph is part of KROQ's morning show with Kevin & Bean. You know, the radio station that did the on-air interview with Axl? Did you even read the OP?

I still have a vid of Guns N Roses' performance at the end of the MTV VMA's a couple years back. It was very obvious then that he had difficulty even getting through the first song. If you want a recent review, here's one on last week's Hammerstein show. In it, it says:

"Halfway through "Jungle," Rose was sopping wet — not since Patrick Ewing last hit the hardwood has one man sweated so profusely after just two minutes of physical exertion. As he roared, "I, I wanna hear you scream," Axl unleashed his signature serpentine sway."

Either he goes nutty or quits because of exhaustion, whatever. He's not making it til Sept.
Old 05-21-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
The chances of this happening are about zero.
Old 05-21-06, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SeekOnce
Ralph is part of KROQ's morning show with Kevin & Bean. You know, the radio station that did the on-air interview with Axl? Did you even read the OP?
Yes, I read the original post. How would anyone who hasn't heard these "kevin & bean" guys know who this "ralph" guy was? He wasn't mentioned in the original post. And I do not know everything, though I do appreciate you thinking that of me.

Ok, two reviews (one from a one off show from several years ago) mentions "Axel" being tired after the first song. That doesn't mean every show.
Old 05-22-06, 12:14 AM

Yes, I read the original post. How would anyone who hasn't heard these "kevin & bean" guys know who this "ralph" guy was? He wasn't mentioned in the original post. And I do not know everything, though I do appreciate you thinking that of me.

Ok, two reviews (one from a one off show from several years ago) mentions "Axel" being tired after the first song. That doesn't mean every show.
I don't expect anyone who hasn't heard Kevin & Bean to know who Ralph is. No he wasn't mentioned in the OP. I only asked if you read the OP because you asked me what I was listening to. You asked 3 questions in the first line of your initial reply, and I responded to them consecutively.

Yeah fine, two reviews don't mean every show. I'm not sure why you're nitpicking about that when we both agree he won't make it to Inland Invasion in Sept.
Old 05-22-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
The chances of this happening are about zero.
Agreed. If he does cancel any dates, perhaps we can thank Tommy Hilfiger for throwing a few punches at him for us. I may have to break out my T.H. shirt for work tomorrow in quiet celebration

From Yahoo Entertainment News:

Axl Welcomes Hilfiger to the Jungle

Mon May 22, 4:53 PM ET

Apparently, Tommy Hilfiger has no patience for Axl Rose.

The famed fashion designer and the Guns N' Roses ringleader reportedly got into fisticuffs Thursday night in New York City at a 27th birthday party for actress Rosario Dawson.

And from all accounts, it was Hilfiger doing the instigating.

According to the New York Post, the clothing maven went ballistic after Rose moved Hilfiger's girlfriend Dee Ocieppo's drink at a VIP table at The Plumm nightclub in the posh Manhattan neighborhood of Chelsea. Hilfiger allegedly attacked the flame-haired rocker without warning, pummeling him several times and landing a punch just below his eye.

"First [Axl and Tommy] were sitting. Then they were pulling on each other...it got so out of control," one shocked eyewitness told the Post.

The dust-up reportedly took many in the packed club by surprise, including fellow celebs Lenny Kravitz, Kid Rock and Mickey Rourke, who were close to the action.

"A bunch of security ran over, but Tommy would not back down. He was just out to take him down," the witness added. "Kid Rock got trampled by people running over. It was unbelievable."

Hilfiger's personal bodyguard was finally able to pull him off Rose, but not before the 55-year-old sportswear mogul tried to give the musician another makeover, reportedly scoring a blow to his cheek.

Appetite for destruction, indeed.

44-year-old Rose later said he was baffled as to why Hilfiger was out to get him.

"I moved his girlfriend's drink so it wouldn't spill," the "Sweet Child O' Mine" singer told Los Angeles radio station KROQ on Friday. "It was the most surreal thing, I think, that's ever happened to me in my life."

Rose added that the Tommy Incident got started when Hilfiger struck him in the arm and ordered him to put the drink back.

"I said, 'I don't want it to spill.' And he said, 'It's not going to spill.' And I said, 'Well, I don't want to sit on it.' And he said, 'You're not going to blanking sit on it,' the Gunner said. "He just kept smacking me."

Rose, the lone original member still playing in the G N' R lineup, eventually went on to perform a surprise acoustic set for Dawson's b-day and dedicated the song "You're Crazy" to "my good friend, Tommy Hilfiger."

No charges were filed and reps for Hilfiger had no comment.

The Plumm's owner, Noel Ashman, told E! Online that Axl was on his best behavior and that both men were welcome back to the club anytime.

"It seemed to be a bizarre misunderstanding," he said.

After wrapping up four hugely successful shows at the Big Apple's Hammerstein Ballroom, Rose and his new Guns N' Roses crew will now head to Europe for several festival dates in June as well as open for the Rolling Stones in Nuremburg and Leipzig, Germany, July 10 and 12.

And in an interview on Eddie Trunk's syndicated radio program on New York City's WAXQ-FM earlier this month, Rose also confirmed that the band's near mythical album, Chinese Democracy, will finally hit stores sometime this fall.
Old 05-27-06, 12:11 PM

Guns n' Roses concert webcast tonight (sat) @ 8pm ET

They are going to be webcasting the Guns and Roses concert live tonight at 8 p.m. eastern time. For all of us who are wondering what the current line up is like without actually seeing them in concert.

http://music.aol.com/network_live/concert_videos
Old 05-27-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks, i will definetly have to check this out.
Old 05-27-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hasn't been a train wreck so far, although time has not fared well for axl, or should i say mark mcgwire's twin brother.
Old 05-27-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I caught Paradise City. Sounded ok, but it definately didn't make me want to see them live in person. Unfortunate, too, as I really liked GNR.
Old 05-27-06, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Originally Posted by deadlax
Hasn't been a train wreck so far, although time has not fared well for axl, or should i say mark mcgwire's twin brother.
I noticed the McGwire resemblance also. Weird.

It's actually better than I thought it would be, but the sound mix from that website is horrible. Bongos are waaaaaaaaaaay to pronounced. Can hardly hear the lead guitar.

Edit: Okay, IRS sounds like shit.

Last edited by The Cow; 05-27-06 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-27-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice to see them look like a real band. No KFC wackos or cartoons or anything. (not that looks mean anything when you're playing RnR, but come on, a KFC bucket?)

Even Axl looks halfway decent. Still insane, but at least he's not dressed like a football player or Roddy Piper.
Old 05-27-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I did think Axl looked like he was in damn good shape. The band just seemed to lack energy. I'd love to see them on a much smaller stage.
Old 09-23-06, 05:19 PM

KROQ Inland Invasion Webcast ( Guns and Roses)

They are webcasting the Kroq Inland Invasion in a few minutes at
http://blueroom.att.com/inc_inland_p...r.php?id=#vtop
Guns and roses are playing/webcasting tonight..Just incase anyone is interested.

Last edited by danstheday; 09-24-06 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-23-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you make a title that includes "now", don't you think it would be wise to include the time and date?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.