Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

And The First Cancelled Show Of The Season Is...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smith! Didn't see this posted, so here you go:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Here's something Ray Liotta and Virginia Madsen won't be putting on their resumes: stars of the first new TV show to bite the dust this fall.

"Smith," the Tuesday night CBS drama with Liotta leading a band of high-stakes thieves, is off the schedule, the network said Friday. It will be replaced temporarily by reruns of "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" and "Criminal Minds."

Networks don't like to use the word "cancel" -- it sounds so messy -- but the show's producers have been given no promise that it will return.

Its last episode had only 8.4 million viewers on Tuesday, according to Nielsen Media Research. It faced tough competition in the time slot from NBC's "Law & Order: SVU" and ABC's "Boston Legal."

Meanwhile, NBC announced the sort-of cancellation of its Wednesday night serial comedy "Kidnapped," which stars Jeremy Sisto. NBC gambled by putting the show in the time slot held for a long time by "Law & Order," and it failed miserably.

"Kidnapped" will be moved to the television purgatory of Saturday nights, starting October 21. Its producers have been told to wrap up the serialized drama's story lines by the end of the show's 13-episode order, NBC said.

Networks have been wrestling with how to satisfy fans who've gotten involved in serialized dramas when the ratings are poor enough for the show to be canceled.

Fox has put its new comedy "Happy Hour" on hiatus, but insists it will return.
Old 10-06-06, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I won't be losing any sleep over this.
Old 10-06-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
This show had potential but I guess people don't want to root for the bad guys and the execution was a bit lacking.

@ NBC for burning off the remaining episodes of Kidnapped on Saturday nights.
Old 10-06-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watched the pilot of both series and it seemed almost like a chore to get through the episodes... Plus with 'Smith' gone it gives 'Jericho' a higher chance of survival...
Old 10-06-06, 06:12 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
Deletes Tuesday's recording of Smith

That was a pretty tough slot to break into with one monster show and another established show on at the same time, plus cable.

No more weekly Amy Smart
Old 10-06-06, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
@ NBC for burning off the remaining episodes of Kidnapped on Saturday nights.
I remember when NBC aired the final episodes of Just Shoot Me by showing them back-to-back on Saturday nights with virtually no advertising. I thought that seemed kind of cold, since that show had given them decent ratings (as I recall).
Old 10-06-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,199 Likes on 2,065 Posts
Originally Posted by critterdvd
I watched the pilot of both series and it seemed almost like a chore to get through the episodes...
I was the same way. The only reason I watched the show at all was because of Ray Liotta but damn that was some tedious viewing. I got about halfway through the pilot and decided I'd had enough.

I like Liotta so this news is too bad in that regard, but on the other hand he's now free to pursue something worthwhile.
Old 10-06-06, 06:26 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Meanwhile, NBC announced the sort-of cancellation of its Wednesday night serial comedy "Kidnapped," which stars Jeremy Sisto. NBC gambled by putting the show in the time slot held for a long time by "Law & Order," and it failed miserably.

Anyway, I haven't watched either show, but kudos to NBC for giving fans of Kidnapped a complete story. Makes me far more likely to invest time in NBC serials in the future.
Old 10-06-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never even heard of it!
Old 10-06-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never even heard of it.
Old 10-06-06, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I guess I'm the one disappointed watcher of the show. One of the new show I enjoyed the most this season.
Old 10-06-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I was the same way. The only reason I watched the show at all was because of Ray Liotta but damn that was some tedious viewing. I got about halfway through the pilot and decided I'd had enough.
Now compare "Smith" with "Shark" which is headlined by another movie actor but is getting a much different result. "Smith" had a big name supporting cast and high production values however, I think that the subject matter didn't help the show because it made it into a somewhat depressing and tedious show.
Now, look at "Shark", the plot/writing is generic or cliche, they have an average/below average supporting cast but James Woods makes that show great. It's fun and very enjoyable.
Old 10-06-06, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I enjoyed watching "the bad guys". How many freaking doctor, lawyer, ahd cop shows can you take?
Old 10-06-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
I guess I'm the one disappointed watcher of the show. One of the new show I enjoyed the most this season.
I am, too. One of my favorite new shows this season.
Old 10-06-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Kidnapped...Smith...I'm guessing Jericho will be next, since it's the only other new fall show that I've watched more than once. I absolutely HATED the episodes of The Class and Shark that I watched...watch those go on to be big hits!
Old 10-06-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I liked it, but it wasn't anything special. Definitely the first time I have ever liked Siimon Baker in anything.

I shall miss Amy Smart.
Old 10-06-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm surprised they dropped the show so quickly. At least let it get through October and see if there was signs for improvement. Sheesh!
Old 10-06-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by movieking

"Kidnapped" will be moved to the television purgatory of Saturday nights, starting October 21. Its producers have been told to wrap up the serialized drama's story lines by the end of the show's 13-episode order, NBC said.
So....does this mean Law & Order moves back to ITS slot?
Old 10-06-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I doubt it. I think NBC realizes that L&O is on it's last legs, and moving it back might kill it off.
Old 10-06-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

let me know when the dvd comes out so i can rent it
Old 10-06-06, 09:08 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
The couple episodes I watched didn't impress me. Figured it wouldn't last long anyway...
Old 10-06-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MechanicalMan
I remember when NBC aired the final episodes of Just Shoot Me by showing them back-to-back on Saturday nights with virtually no advertising. I thought that seemed kind of cold, since that show had given them decent ratings (as I recall).
IIRC, Levitan had engaged in a pissing contest with NBC by that point, so it was kind of personal. Apparently, it was worse than what Paul Simms did because Simms got Newsradio renewed a couple more years and joked about it in an episode while Levitan had whatever dolt was running NBC at the time swearing that he was going to blackball Levitan.
Old 10-06-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
So....does this mean Law & Order moves back to ITS slot?
No, Dateline is replacing Kidnapped in the Wednesday slot.
Old 10-06-06, 11:25 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
for NBC giving Kidnapped the time needed to wrap everything up. I'm not a big fan of the show. But it would suck if they didn't follow it through to a resolution.

I hate it when these TV series with ongoing story arcs are just dropped with no conclusion. It's bad for TV in general. Lots of people aren't willing to give these types of shows a chance. I passed on a couple shows this year, because I knew they'd just disappear. You can't leave everyone hanging.
Old 10-06-06, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
I thought the pilot was really well-produced almost movie quality. But, I guess the show was really expensive to produce and the crappy ratings didn't justify CBS forking over more money to John Wells

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.