Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Forever Knight - The Trilogy, Part 3'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Don Houston's DVD review of Forever Knight - The Trilogy, Part 3 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24126 and...

I'm glad the final season came out because (in strong disagreement with the review), this was the strongest season they had. Seasons 1 and 2 were almost as useless as the dead weight characters they got rid of. Nick's first partner, "Skank" (who was the genius that thought up this guy's name?) was your typical inept blundering clueless cop. Every episode you would watch this tub of lard in action and wonder to yourself "were they THAT desperate for police officers when this guy applied?"

And then there were the two captains. The captain in the first season was almost as inept as Skank. The second season they changed the captain to an oriental woman that was just completely useless. Her acting was less than sub par and her character was extremely weak.

Granted, the captain in the third season isn't much better, but he is an improvement. He has more of a fatherly quality to him in how he cares about the cops, although you have to question his effectiveness as a leader seeing as his officers are constantly ignoring his orders.

The highlight of the season, however, was the introduction of vampire Javier Vachon. Another regular vampire in the series that wasn't so at odds with Nick (like the returning LaCroix, played brilliantly by Nigel Bennet) gave a new dynamic to the series.

Finally, we have Nick's new partner, Tracy. It's obvious that the powers that be wanted a hot young thing on the show, since the only main female on the show was Natalie, who tended to remind one of Rosie O'Donnel. The character is nowhere near as annoying as Skank was, and she allowd for several more new story dynamics - her love of Vachon, for example, and the whole guessing game of she knows Vachon is a vampire, but she doesn't know that Nick is, and she doesn't know that Nick knows Vachon is a vampire, so she has to dance around the subject with him.

Overall, I'd say that this is a fine season to pick up, even if you've never watched the first 2.

Commentator's bias - Ep 1 of season 3 was my introduction to the series.
Old 10-06-06, 09:20 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Hmmm, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Keep in mind that fans watching the series in order will likely find a number of aspects (and the horrid budget cuts) of the third season to be problematic; but the Vachon arc struck me as a writer's gimmick more than anything else. Nigel Bennett was one of the few characters that could act though so at least we agree on his part in making the series more watchable.
Old 10-06-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The budget cuts didn't bother me that much because the series never had that much of a budget to begin with. I know it sounds like a big "America rules, everyone else sucks" type of thing, but I've found that any TV show not produced in the states has a very amateurish feel to it. The vampire transformations have always looked horribly cheesy, especially if you're used to watching bigger productions like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

As for Bennet, I love seeing anything he's in. I even bought the 2 soundtrack CD's for his spoken word pieces on them.