Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Battlestar Galactica *2-hour Season Premiere* - The Occupation; Precipice - 10/06

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Galactica *2-hour Season Premiere* - The Occupation; Precipice - 10/06

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-06, 02:52 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

"The Occupation; Precipice"
Spoiler:
Humans find various ways of living under Cylon rule on New Caprica; Adama plans a rescue mission; the Cylons crack down on the humans after a bombing.

Finally
Old 10-06-06, 04:20 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
I cannot frakkin' wait!
Old 10-06-06, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I started watching the DVDs this summer and caught up just the other day. The last three episodes were amazing and I can't wait for tonight. But it's going to be hard watching just one a week now.
Old 10-06-06, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's about frakking time.
Old 10-06-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX
Say hello to my new desktop.
Old 10-06-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
I started watching the DVDs this summer and caught up just the other day. The last three episodes were amazing and I can't wait for tonight. But it's going to be hard watching just one a week now.
I'm in the same situation. A customer asked me to hold season 1 if I ever got a used copy in. When it arrived, he said he'd buy it, but only after I gave it a chance (I was a strong supporter of the original Battlestar, and didn't like the changes I had heard about in this series). Seeing as this was the customer that got me watching House, though, I figured I'd give it a chance.

I sat down to watch the mini-series, expecting to turn it off after the first ep. Instead, I called him, told him he was a son of a bitch for hooking me on another show, and said he'd be able to pick the set up in a week or so.

After seeing the season 3 teaser at the end of the "Story So Far" DVD, I'm really looking forward to this season.
Old 10-06-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The webisodes on scifi.com this summer did nice to fill in the time. If you can't wait, they also have the first 14 minutes of season 3 available for streaming. I'm so excited about tonight!!
Old 10-06-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Thank Fracking God.
Old 10-06-06, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dammit, I missed the first 30 minutes. Can someone give me a quick recap under a spoiler tag?
Old 10-06-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry -- didn't see this thread when I was scanning down the page so I created another thread. It's gone now.

Battlestar is back - Life is good.
Old 10-06-06, 10:07 PM

Wow.....I think they just took the show to a whole new level.

Best drama on TV now.
Old 10-06-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
pudgy apollo is funny looking
they jumped into low altitude flight? that must have taken balls
Old 10-06-06, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
pudgy apollo is funny looking
I love when his dad told him to get off his fat ass.
Old 10-06-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I can not beleive Starbuck could be so easily manipulated. I kept on waiting for her to pull the plug and wrap around his neck afterwards. Good start to the new season. I like how the Adamas seem to have switched roles.
Old 10-06-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like BG will drop off my watch list. Boring as hell until the final 20 minutes. Sounded like the writers are making a lame political statement saying New Caprica is Iraq and the humans are the Iraq resistance.
Old 10-06-06, 10:40 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cusm
I can not beleive Starbuck could be so easily manipulated. I kept on waiting for her to pull the plug and wrap around his neck afterwards.
I think she's probably got something planned.
Old 10-06-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
I think she's probably got something planned.
That's what I am thinking too.

That was a great episode. I am so glad to have this show back on. I think I will go rewatch right away.
Old 10-06-06, 10:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by resinrats
Looks like BG will drop off my watch list. Boring as hell until the final 20 minutes. Sounded like the writers are making a lame political statement saying New Caprica is Iraq and the humans are the Iraq resistance.
I didn't think it was boring by any means, but I do hope they back off the political statements a little.
Old 10-06-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it was excellent and showed what would happen in any occupied country. What the insurgents in Iraq are doing is not much different than the French rsistance during WW2. If I recall, the French did equally as bad things to collaborators to the Nazis, just as the Iraqis will to the collaborators with Americans once we leave.

BG has always been political. The entire episode was great IMO.
Old 10-06-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It sounds like you're just looking for a reason not to watch it. It's a show about a war, and if you haven't figured that out after 2 seasons already, then what the hell did you think it was about? It's a fact that the occupied side in a war, especially when they're as much of an underdog as the humans are in BG, will resort to forming a resistance and carrying out things like suicide bombings and other terrorist activities.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 10-06-06 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-07-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was good to get us into Season 3, but it 'was' a little dry.

I was surprised about the low-alt jump, too. After I saw that I wondered where the "We can't do that, it's never been done before!" discussion was.
Old 10-07-06, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Highlights:
Boomer and the Old Man having a conversation over tea in her cell.
Boomer back in uniform, if only briefly.

I think the previews for next week show her back in civilian clothing and apparently not with the resistance so I take it the double-agent has done well.
Old 10-07-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
So glad the show's back but, I have few questions. Why do the cylons even care about suicide bombers? Humans are the only ones really dying why does piss them off so much? And to resistance why is Baltar so high on their hit list? They have to know he's just a puppet and killing him won't change a thing, so why risk more human casualties killing him?
Old 10-07-06, 12:45 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Great episode - very tense, and it's interesting to see how the characters play out in the new setting. Not sure how it was "slow" or "dry" - if anything, alot of things happened at an accelerated rate (I mean, they're already initiating the start of a rescue plan by the end of the second episode).

I think that's pretty much an oversimplication to just say "oh, it's about Iraq" and assume it's bashing America or something.

The conversation between Rosalyn and Tigh was most telling. While Rosalyn morally objected to it, Tigh saw it from a military perspective as it having an effect on the cylons (and this is supported by the talk of "life" and "God" the cyclons have had, which reasons why they might be taken aback by something like this). If anything, like another poster stated - it's more like the French Resistance disrupting the Germans while waiting for help - but with more "modern day" trappings of suicide bombings, "insurgents" and terrorism. They're not doing it in hopes of the Cylons leaving, so a French Resistance seems more of an apt analogy than Iraq.

In addition, even the original Star Trek took issues of the time and made one think about it in a different way (same goes for shows like Twilight Zone, and many other genre shows I can't really think up at 2a in the morning... ).

Oh well, let's see if resinrats will stick to his guns based on just the first two hours of an entire season. If he starts to watch again if the season picks up, let's see if he'll man up and recant what he just posted...
Old 10-07-06, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I think the politics within the show are actually really interesting.

It's more or less a mash-up of all of the current War on Terror memes. You can't look at like Cylons=Islamic Terrorists, Humans=Americans. They're just arranging bits and pieces of current events into a different tapestry. I mean, remember last season when they had the "peace activists" collaborating with the Cylons?

This series doesn't really try to have any kind of political agenda or attempt to do a hard-and-fast allegory to anything. It's about ideas and philosophies.

And... damn kiddies... those two hours rocked hard. Some of the finest two hours of television I've seen. I can't believe a remake of "Battlestar Galacitica" is this good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.